#1 maldo421

maldo421

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hey world,

Was wondering if anyone had experienced severe/ widespread tendonitis as a result of gluten intolerance. I am not a confirmed Celiac yet (havent gotten tested yet), but after hours and hours of researching, the symptoms seem to line-up.

I am an active 21-year old male (rock climbing, biking, boarding), and recently started developing tendonitis in just about all the major joints (knees, elbows, shoulders, hips). Its been a rough 7-8 months since I got back into being active. I'm starting to think this is related to nutrient deficiency caused by gluten intolerance.

Wondering if anyone else had experienced or heard of widespread tendonitis in coincidence with Celiac disease/ gluten intolerance?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hi maldo,

Yes, I play competitive women's soccer and had very painful tendinitis in both my achilles and in my knees. Physiotherapy and muscle strengthening helped, but the next season, after going gluten-free, I had much less pain and the injuries continued to improve. I'm not sure exactly what contributed - probably a combination of everything, but celiac disease probably impacted my joint health.

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

I've had this problem myself, and it turned out to be deficiencies in manganese (NOT magnesium), zinc, and silicon. I took chelated forms of both manganese and zinc and a product called BioSil for the silicon. The condition began clearing up within days and was completely gone in two weeks.

Also, you should have your thyroid checked. Thyroid problems are common with celiac, and both hypo- and hyperthyroid can cause tendonitis.

#4 maldo421

maldo421

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for the speedy answers, still looking for feedback by others.

Rosetapper, how did you come to find out what exactly your deficiencies were??

I've had this problem myself, and it turned out to be deficiencies in manganese (NOT magnesium), zinc, and silicon. I took chelated forms of both manganese and zinc and a product called BioSil for the silicon. The condition began clearing up within days and was completely gone in two weeks.

Also, you should have your thyroid checked. Thyroid problems are common with celiac, and both hypo- and hyperthyroid can cause tendonitis.

#5 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

I did a TON of research online regarding nutritional deficiencies that might cause tendon and ligament problems. I suffered from "floppy tendon syndrome," which caused the bones in my feet to fracture. I was a mess! It took me months to figure out that my bones weren't deficient and that it was actually the tendons and ligaments that were causing the problem because they weren't properly supporting the bones in my feet. I figured that part out when I realized that I had tendonitis everywhere and put two and two together. From what I read, I needed to take chelated manganese and chelated zinc (but you have to take a little copper, too, if you take zinc). Then when I went to the healthfood store to buy them, the clerk told me that silicon is very useful in restoring tendon health, so I bought that, too (BioSil). I still take all three products periodically to maintain good tendon health.

#6 Assaf

Assaf

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

I (M 32) developed widespread muscle, joint, tendon and ligament pains very abruptly (about two weeks from normal to hardly able to walk) around January 2013, which is almost  certainly due to developing gluten intolorence. Four weeks into gluten free diet and I'm now 95% back to normal.

All the symptoms you describe I also had; muscles burning, twitching, needle pricks - especially in the arms, back and legs. The tendons in the back of my knees and front of my elbows were absolutly killing me before I switched to gluten-free.

#7 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

I did a TON of research online regarding nutritional deficiencies that might cause tendon and ligament problems. I suffered from "floppy tendon syndrome," which caused the bones in my feet to fracture. I was a mess! It took me months to figure out that my bones weren't deficient and that it was actually the tendons and ligaments that were causing the problem because they weren't properly supporting the bones in my feet. I figured that part out when I realized that I had tendonitis everywhere and put two and two together. From what I read, I needed to take chelated manganese and chelated zinc (but you have to take a little copper, too, if you take zinc). Then when I went to the healthfood store to buy them, the clerk told me that silicon is very useful in restoring tendon health, so I bought that, too (BioSil). I still take all three products periodically to maintain good tendon health.

This is huge.  I will try it.  Manganese, zinc, biosil...  I've finally started running again and when I hit the two mile mark my right foot starts sending a shooting pain from my middle toes and I've been wondering what the deal was.  THANKS!

Diagnosis 11/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: