Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Myths About Gluten In Everyday Non Edible Objects?

• Please log in to reply

59 replies to this topic

#31 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

:)
Hi (might be doing this wrong)!
I take ERFA thyroid and have just ordered Dr Peter Green's book..
Seem to have strayed from the original topic a bit!

Excellent book! It gives a great tutorial on how the digestive process works so you really understand how Celiac progresses.
It's a must read if you have Celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Just wanted to chime in here- I personally have a very mild wheat/gluten allergy on top of
the Celiac. I can wash my hands after handling gluten and be just fine, but I realized
while working at a breakfast buffet that some crumbs that had gotten stuck under a large
ring on my finger had caused a small rash to break out after about 8 hours.

I do not think, in general, that when new people are cautioned against personal care
products containing gluten, that it's because there is concern about them having a topical,
allergic reaction. It is simply too easy to stick your fingers, your hair, anything, in your
mouth. I have very long hair and have to tie it up when it's windy or it's constantly whipping
the chapstick/lipstick off my lips and pasting it onto my glasses (very annoying). It also
took me a VERY long time to learn NOT to put my fingers in my mouth. It's just too easy
for the substance of any personal care product to get transferred into someone's mouth,
and I see no reason why anyone should need to take the risk. It's too easy to avoid when
shopping!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#33 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Just wanted to chime in here- I personally have a very mild wheat/gluten allergy on top of
the Celiac. I can wash my hands after handling gluten and be just fine, but I realized
while working at a breakfast buffet that some crumbs that had gotten stuck under a large
ring on my finger had caused a small rash to break out after about 8 hours.

I do not think, in general, that when new people are cautioned against personal care
products containing gluten, that it's because there is concern about them having a topical,
allergic reaction. It is simply too easy to stick your fingers, your hair, anything, in your
mouth. I have very long hair and have to tie it up when it's windy or it's constantly whipping
the chapstick/lipstick off my lips and pasting it onto my glasses (very annoying). It also
took me a VERY long time to learn NOT to put my fingers in my mouth. It's just too easy
for the substance of any personal care product to get transferred into someone's mouth,
and I see no reason why anyone should need to take the risk. It's too easy to avoid when
shopping!

Actually, I do not find it hard at all to not put my fingers in my mouth, unless I have washed them. I did that long before I was diagnosed with Celiac
and gluten should be the least of anyone's worries on that subject. It's a bad habit to have, especially during cold and flu season. Doorknobs and many
other surfaces are just plain dirty and that's how most people end up sick. I rarely am ever sick and only glutened myself once and that had nothing to do with personal care products.

I think everyone has to look at their personal habits and make their decison based on that. Using personal care products is a choice issue based on habits, not a necessity. My health would never be this good if I were glutening myself on a daily basis.

#34 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

shopping!

Sweets, I love ya !
First of all, your topical wheat allergy is a different situation.... but to address your other thoughts?

.The minute amount of "gluten" in diluted shampoo ( i.e. hydrolyzed wheat protein ) also
affecting a "wind-whipped, long haired beauty" (such as yourself) whose hair happens to land in her mouth...
or on her glasses? ...would not really cause a problem for the vast majority of celiacs... Sorry.

You are reaching here ...and I am not even sure how chapstick landing on your glasses fits the discussion.

Honestly, I do not pass the day sticking my fingers in my mouth.
The few times I may lick my fingers is when I am baking and check the batter.

(the other time is when I pose provocatively for photo shoots. :)....)

My hands are clean... usually ...and I wash them after I use the loo or stack wood or pet the cat (but not constantly..... because I am not obsessed with it) and honestly, MOST SOAP BARS AND SHAMPOOS AND LOTIONS DO NOT CONTAIN ENOUGH WHEAT TO CAUSE A PROBLEM.

UNLESS YOU HAVE A WHEAT ALLERGY.

LET'S ALL CONSULT Dr. Green's book or every celiac research center and see that this is the truth.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#35 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Well, maybe I'm the only one who ever thoughtlessly stuck their finger in
their mouth to remove a popcorn kernel that was stuck in their gums, or a
piece of roast beef stuck between teeth, or sat down at a restaurant booth
and started eating the chips and guac without washing their hands, or
unexpectedly wound up with a mouthful of hair. (which happens all the time
in my sleep- is it just me? :ph34r: )

That's entirely possible. :D

#36 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Well, maybe I'm the only one who ever thoughtlessly stuck their finger in
their mouth to remove a popcorn kernel that was stuck in their gums, or a
piece of roast beef stuck between teeth, or sat down at a restaurant booth
and started eating the chips and guac without washing their hands, or
unexpectedly wound up with a mouthful of hair. (which happens all the time
in my sleep- is it just me? :ph34r: )

That's entirely possible. :D

All of these things are "possible" hunny, but you are assuming your hands already have gluten on them from ?what? exactly??

and I do not see how this is possible. If people wash wash their hands, they REMOVE any trace gluten .

And even when I had long hair, it never ended up in my mouth (unexpectedly or otherwise)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#37 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Money, books at the library, door handles, small non-gluten-free children, the grocery store/
shopping cart handles, other peoples pets, generally I sort of do always assume
my hands are covered in gluten... just how my brain works :ph34r:

My only point was that it just seems easier, to me, for someone who is new at this
to relieve themselves of any concern in their personal space when it comes to gluten.
It may not be the most logical, scientific, 'approved' way to go, but don't new people
have enough stress? I like to walk into my house and not worry about anything,
but I realize that's not an option for everyone. I'm really not trying to be contentious.

#38 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Money, books at the library, door handles, small non-gluten-free children, the grocery store/

That is just the point! New people have enough stress !---and should not worry about
unnecessary "gluten phobias"

Gluten is not "lurking" on books, door handles, children, shopping cart handles or other people's
pets. Germs, maybe but that's another issue.

Unless you are kidding right now and tell us so, frankly, I am a bit surprised at you. :(

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#39 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

You wouldn't be suspicious of money that's changed hands in a bakery? Or the shopping cart
handle that shoppers push around while eating doughnuts? Children covered in Goldfish
crumbs? Don't we recommend that people get gluten-free pet food so their pets don't lick them w/
gluteny tongues? Like I said, it really is ok if it's just me, was only trying to give examples
of how hard it is at first (it was for me anyway, and again it might just be me) to remember
their hands aren't safe. < disclaimer-happy to admit I'm the only one who sees this stuff.

#40 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

You wouldn't be suspicious of money that's changed hands in a bakery? Or the shopping cart
handle that shoppers push around while eating doughnuts? Children covered in Goldfish
crumbs? Don't we recommend that people get gluten-free pet food so their pets don't lick them w/
gluteny tongues? Like I said, it really is ok if it's just me, was only trying to give examples
of how hard it is at first (it was for me anyway, and again it might just be me) to remember
their hands aren't safe. < disclaimer-happy to admit I'm the only one who sees this stuff.

Hey Bunnie,

Just wanted to chime in with some support.

Do I think that there is enough gluten in the gluteny shampoos to cause a reaction? . . . Don't know, haven't called any companies to find out what the ppm is.
Do I think having dry hair blown into my mouth once in a while will transfer enough gluten to cause a reaction? . . . Not by itself
Do I think Celiac/NCGI people have to give up their favorite gluteny shampoo? . . . No
Do I think Celiac/NCGI people who use gluteny shampoos need to be diligent? . . . Yes
If I had Celiac, would I use/switch to gluten free shampoo? . . . Yes (there are plenty of mainstream brands to choose from)
Do I think people have their hands to their faces/mouths a lot more than they think they do? . . . Heck Yes . . . and as luck would have it, as I sat back to read what I wrote so far, I put my hand on my chin and my fingers were touching my lips.

I don't have Celiac, but I prepare the majority of my daughter's meals. I constantly tuck my hair behind my ears. I do not wash my hands everytime I do that. Based on my daughter's history, it takes cumulative small exposures to start a significant reaction. I don't know when, where, how much, how often these small exposures take place? I do know, for her, it's cumulative. So doing something like buying Dove Shampoo and Conditioner so that it's one less thing I have to worry about "accumulating" is well worth it to me. I don't look at buying gluten free shampoo as adding stress, I look at it as eliminating it.

And yes, when I had long hair, it occassionally blew into my mouth on a windy day.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#41 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:32 AM

Have a nasty feeling that gluten is lurking out there - there's plenty of it about.
If celiac, I think that a good level of caution should be exercised and I would avoid non edible products containing gluten.
I might of course, just be neurotic :blink: .

#42 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:49 AM

I don't look at buying gluten free shampoo as adding stress, I look at it as eliminating it.

Ding Ding Ding

I use gluten free personal care products. Personally, when I'm in the shower, I want to shower and not worry about getting shampoo in my mouth as the water runs down my face.
Early on, I was glutened by using a hair gel that contained wheat. (Wasn't diligent enough to wash it all off, I sometimes chew on my nails a bit) No question, and if my hair had been long and blew onto/into my mouth as it does now on occasion, it would have been a direct hit.
When a person new to the gluten free lifestyle asks the controversial topical question, I say do what is best for you. If you can use your gluten containing stuff without issue, go for it. You can always try to eliminate it if you have continuing reactions after you are sure your diet is clean and see if it makes a difference.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#43 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

Bun,
I do not purchase shampoo, lotion or lipstick with wheat derivatives in it either.
I take precautions like everyone else.

I am not arguing this point.
In fact, you know me well enough to know I am not arguing at all. :)
We have had many conversations and you know I am all about the "what works for you is all that matters" when it comes to anyone
taking charge of her health.

I have always loved this quote from Shroomie, so much so that I bookmarked it:

If every day you followed the health advice for that particular day, you would drive yourself crazy. Posted Image You would be doing what you weren't doing yesterday, and not doing what you were doing yesterday. All you can do is apply a reasoned mind and weigh the balance of the evidence and do what you think is best.

I just know that some people become absurdly gluten-phobic and that makes being a celiac all the more complicated.
IMHO

As for my long hair, it was during the 70's 80's and 90s.. Back then, we used so much gel and hair spray and other junk that perhaps my hair was just too frozen in place to fly in my mouth.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#44 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

My only point was that it just seems easier, to me, for someone who is new at this
to relieve themselves of any concern in their personal space when it comes to gluten.
It may not be the most logical, scientific, 'approved' way to go, but don't new people
have enough stress? I like to walk into my house and not worry about anything,
but I realize that's not an option for everyone. I'm really not trying to be contentious.

I think much of the stress that new Celiacs feel comes from these far out ideas on how one can be potentially glutened.
They are trying to learn the correct way and instilling exaggerated situations that should not be of concern adds to that stress.
If people want to obsess about door knobs, money and library books, that's fine. Good luck with that! :blink:

#45 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

I take Natural Sources Raw Thyroid. It is gluten-free.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: