Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Am I Having A Really Delayed Reaction To Dairy?

8 posts in this topic

I went gluten-free back in January. I also quit dairy at the time, but starting about a month ago, I started eating cheese again because it seems like it's not been affecting me in a noticeable way. However, I have been having a lot more stomach problems since coming to college regardless of my strictly gluten-free lifestyle (I live in an apartment and prepare my own food so no problem there), so it's really hard to say whether the cheese is making it worse.

Last weekend I went home for the first time and ate a LOT of cheese. I mean a lot. I was at friends' houses all weekend and somehow they had every kind of wonderful cheese that I hadn't had in 10 months and I gorged on it. And there seemed to be no effect! I continued to happily eat small bits of cheese this week without much of a second thought. Until tonight I woke up in the middle of the night with a bad upset stomach (or rather, intestines), and now I am left wondering and worrying. (also I wanted to add that I had bad gas for 24 hours prior to this)

Is it possible that my intestines are only now reacting to cheese I ate during the weekend, or the small amounts during the week? I have a fast metabolism, I would be surprised if food from 5-6 days ago was still in my system.

All feedback is greatly appreciated, I have never understood completely how the dairy side of this works, because I know it is sometimes a matter of lactose and sometimes the casein acting like gluten.

Thank you!

Ads by Google:

Last weekend I went home for the first time and ate a LOT of cheese. I mean a lot. I was at friends' houses all weekend and somehow they had every kind of wonderful cheese that I hadn't had in 10 months and I gorged on it. And there seemed to be no effect! Thank you!

It may not be all the cheese you ate itself but the fact that you were eating the cheese at freinds homes who were likely not gluten free.

CC happens and gluten reactions can be delayed by up to a week or so.

But had anyone else put a knife in that cheese that maybe had gluten crumbs on it? Or did you open the fresh package?

I opened the fresh package, and it was precut.

Also, I'm not EXTREMELY sensitive to gluten, as far as I can tell. I think I am potentially sensitive to other stuff though, I have just never been able to figure out what, exactly.

You could eliminate all dairy for a month and see if it makes a difference. Total elimination is a good test.

Or it might be a bug. I thought I had gotten glutened a month or so ago, but it turned out there was a bug going around and all of my non-celiac friends had the exact same symptoms I had.

Could be the dairy. I quit all dairy. I tested as not intolerant to it any more but the Dr. cautioned me that based on my reaction to it, I should not eat it. So I didn't for a long time. But then I reasoned... My daughter was no longer intolerant and it didn't bother her.

I ate some. I was fine. I ate some more. I was fine.

And then the day came. I would get nachos at Target and before I was even done with my shopping, I would have to run to the bathroom. I didn't want to believe that it was the nachos. I was in denial.

I got tested again. Intolerant to dairy. So no more dairy for me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I never ate at the fair but always "rewarded" myself with a nice glass of wine at the wine and beer patio!   The corn on the cob might be ok but I have to agree with the poster who mentioned that stuff at the fair probably isn't terribly clean.  Stuff your purse with snacks and enjoy.  My partner would feel bad about eating in front of my and I would just - I don't feel bad so that's your problem, not mine! lol 
    • So far I've had no problems with gluten-free Cherrios and I've been eating them since they started producing the gluten-free line. Generally I will have some reaction to gluten if there is contamination in the product I'm eating. But I'm sure someone has gotten a bad batch or is simply very sensitive to trace amounts of gluten. It's up to each individual to decide whether you want to chance trying them. The article mentioned by squirmingitch sheds light on the problem with anything listed as gluten-free. Contamination can occur at any point in the harvest or processing, and testing may miss it. I also eat Chex, Nature's Path cereals and have tried other brands w/o any problems. I do miss gluten-free Rice Krispies, they made for a nice addition to meat loaf, shame they discontinued the item.
    • Here is another point.  My hubby went gluten-free per the poor advice of his GP and my allergist.  It worked.  A tough first year, but he got well.  Thirteen years later, I got diagnosed with celiac disease.  I was shocked!  😱.   Does he have celiac disease?  We will never know because we can not afford to have him do a challenge.  He refuses and I can not blame him.  He knows he will be very sick!   The point?  I am so lucky that we both can not have gluten.  I never worry about him making me sick or vice versa. We made the house completely gluten free for  1) our health and 2) the fact that our kid started helping in the kitchen. Kids make mistakes and I personally need a safe haven.  She wants gluten?  I buy prepackaged stuff and she takes it to school.  All parties and events at my house are gluten free.  Lots of work, but we stay healthy.  She does not have celiac disease.  When she is preparing for a celiac test,  I send her on the porch to eat cookies or bread or whatever floats her boat.  We travel in a gluten-free RV.  I have five sizes of ice chests.  We just have to be prepared for any event.   How can we live this way?   We love feeling good.
    • Freize is right, you need to think about your environment.   Based on that a study I posted for you, you will note that the patients who were diagnosed with refractory celiac disease and THOUGHT they were diet compliant found that they WERE NOT diet compliant.  How is this possible?   This is way out there, but unless you are growing all your own food, you don't really know if it is gluten free.  In the US, we do have laws to help protect our food supplies (no perfect, but a start).    I can not speak for India.  For example, what about your soy?  It can be contaminated by the farmer as it is often rotated with wheat.  Here is an article by Jane Anderson who has celiac disease.  She is very strict as she has DH (celiac rash), but she cites Trisha Thompson who tests foods for gluton contamination, The gluten-free WatchDog (like Consumer reports).  She found that soy which is naturally gluten free, but can be cross contaminated by wheat: https://www.verywell.com/is-soy-gluten-free-562371 so, start thinking about your food supply. As far as a negative TTG IGA or TTG IGG?  I test negative to both.  Only the DGP IGA has ever been elevated in my blood tests (even repeats), yet I had a Marsh Stage IIIIB on my biopsy.  Have you had a DGP IGG?  (I do not see this in your posting).   http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/ These additonal celiac tests might help you feel confident that you have celiac disease and not something else that is damaging your villi.  But remember, some  folks have celiac disease even with negative blood.  I am not IGA deficient, so this is an area I have not researched.  Not to mention that some celiac researchers do not think that the celiac  antibodies tests are good for diet compliancy.   I wish I had better answers for you.  Try a grain free, whole foods diet of meats, fish, eggs, and vegetables for a while.  All food prepared by you. Who cooks your food now?  Is your home gluten free?  Cross contamination at home?  Kissing a loved one.  We had a doctor with celiac disease who was getting glutened by her little children who were consuming gluten!  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    GlutenFreeGreg