Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Am I Having A Really Delayed Reaction To Dairy?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 desperateforhealth

desperateforhealth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

I went gluten-free back in January. I also quit dairy at the time, but starting about a month ago, I started eating cheese again because it seems like it's not been affecting me in a noticeable way. However, I have been having a lot more stomach problems since coming to college regardless of my strictly gluten-free lifestyle (I live in an apartment and prepare my own food so no problem there), so it's really hard to say whether the cheese is making it worse.

Last weekend I went home for the first time and ate a LOT of cheese. I mean a lot. I was at friends' houses all weekend and somehow they had every kind of wonderful cheese that I hadn't had in 10 months and I gorged on it. And there seemed to be no effect! I continued to happily eat small bits of cheese this week without much of a second thought. Until tonight I woke up in the middle of the night with a bad upset stomach (or rather, intestines), and now I am left wondering and worrying. (also I wanted to add that I had bad gas for 24 hours prior to this)

Is it possible that my intestines are only now reacting to cheese I ate during the weekend, or the small amounts during the week? I have a fast metabolism, I would be surprised if food from 5-6 days ago was still in my system.

All feedback is greatly appreciated, I have never understood completely how the dairy side of this works, because I know it is sometimes a matter of lactose and sometimes the casein acting like gluten.

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

Last weekend I went home for the first time and ate a LOT of cheese. I mean a lot. I was at friends' houses all weekend and somehow they had every kind of wonderful cheese that I hadn't had in 10 months and I gorged on it. And there seemed to be no effect! Thank you!

It may not be all the cheese you ate itself but the fact that you were eating the cheese at freinds homes who were likely not gluten free.
CC happens and gluten reactions can be delayed by up to a week or so.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 desperateforhealth

desperateforhealth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Well, I was super careful. I ate it straight out of the package...

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

But had anyone else put a knife in that cheese that maybe had gluten crumbs on it? Or did you open the fresh package?
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 desperateforhealth

desperateforhealth

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

I opened the fresh package, and it was precut.

Also, I'm not EXTREMELY sensitive to gluten, as far as I can tell. I think I am potentially sensitive to other stuff though, I have just never been able to figure out what, exactly.

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

You could eliminate all dairy for a month and see if it makes a difference. Total elimination is a good test.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#7 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Or it might be a bug. I thought I had gotten glutened a month or so ago, but it turned out there was a bug going around and all of my non-celiac friends had the exact same symptoms I had.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#8 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:16 PM

Could be the dairy. I quit all dairy. I tested as not intolerant to it any more but the Dr. cautioned me that based on my reaction to it, I should not eat it. So I didn't for a long time. But then I reasoned... My daughter was no longer intolerant and it didn't bother her.

I ate some. I was fine. I ate some more. I was fine.

And then the day came. I would get nachos at Target and before I was even done with my shopping, I would have to run to the bathroom. I didn't want to believe that it was the nachos. I was in denial.

I got tested again. Intolerant to dairy. So no more dairy for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: