Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

1 box yellow Betty Crocker gluten-free cake mix
1 reg can Libby's pumpkin
Cinnamon chips or chocolate chips

If you can find the cinnamon chips they are so much better. I buy several because I can only find them in the fall!
Mix everything together. No liquid needed. Just those 3 things and bake according to the cupcake directions on cake mix (about 18 min). Yum!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Oooooooooooooooo! I'm going to have to try this! Sounds easy & delish. I am especially happy that no liquid is needed --- that means I don't have to worry about iodine. YAY!

One question ---- where the heck do you guys get pumpkin? I have NEVER found it in any of the stores either where I used to live or where I live now. I can find pumpkin pie filling but not just pumpkin. Do you order online?

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Oooooooooooooooo! I'm going to have to try this! Sounds easy & delish. I am especially happy that no liquid is needed --- that means I don't have to worry about iodine. YAY!

One question ---- where the heck do you guys get pumpkin? I have NEVER found it in any of the stores either where I used to live or where I live now. I can find pumpkin pie filling but not just pumpkin. Do you order online?

Can't you get Libby's where you live? I have gotten the WF brand (365?) just to save myself another store.

http://www.nestleusa...ys-Pumpkin.aspx

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

I get my punkin at whole Foods too.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#5 BushMommy

BushMommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:18 AM

I always find my pumpkin puree next to the pumpkin pie filling - which is usually in the same place as all the other pie fillings. There are times when it's not available and I know we went through a shortage a year or two ago, but it's almost always available with the other pie stuff.
If you can find Libby's pumpkin, get it...and then make a pumpkin pie using the Libby's recipe on the can. Super good!

#6 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:26 AM

You get pumpkin in a can where you live? Never heard of that before! Hmm, I was expecting whole ingredients :( never mind.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

1 box yellow Betty Crocker gluten-free cake mix
1 reg can Libby's pumpkin
Cinnamon chips or chocolate chips

If you can find the cinnamon chips they are so much better. I buy several because I can only find them in the fall!
Mix everything together. No liquid needed. Just those 3 things and bake according to the cupcake directions on cake mix (about 18 min). Yum!

These sound so good...so cinnamon chips are now on my shopping list. Do they really rise properly or are they somewhat dense and heavy? (I need these like I need a hole in my head...and my thighs will not thank me.)
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#8 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:59 AM

I should have put a disclaimer: They dont turn out like regular muffins. They are kinda ugly on top because the shape they go in comes out. They don't end up smooth. Someone made these with reg cake mix for a women's get together and they were all snatched up. I decided to try it with gluten free. I made mini muffins because they are kinda dense and heavy but I still love them. Just something easy for this time of year. I do not do a lot of bread baking so it was a treat for my dd to have muffins.

#9 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:01 AM

Oh and I find pumpkin with the canned fruit and pie filing. That's where it was in our publix.

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

I wonder if you made the cake mix as directed and added the pumpkin? I don't remember what you add to that mix. If it has eggs and oil, maybe add the eggs at least?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#11 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

I think Karen is right-- gluten free baked goods need more fat in order to make them turn out more like wheat based ones.

The eggs would add more fat and I think beating them first might help the muffins rise a bit better?
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#12 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

You could try adding the eggs or a little oil, but I have a weight watchers recipe that's just a spice cake mix, can of pumpkin and chocolate chips. I've used the Namaste spice cake mix and it's divine. The pumpkin is a sub for oil. But if you want a smoother cake, try the eggs and maybe 1/2 the oil... ;)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#13 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

I have a weight watchers recipe that's just a spice cake mix, can of pumpkin and chocolate chips.

Yum !!!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#14 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

I have looked in our Publix as well as our Winn Dixie & they only seem to carry pumpkin pie filling not just plain canned pumpkin. I know this b/c I was looking for plain canned pumpkin to add to my dogs food.

I will keep searching. I will need to sub chia seeds for eggs as I have to be low iodine. That's what appealed to me about this recipe in the first place ---- no eggs, no dairy.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#15 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

I have looked in our Publix as well as our Winn Dixie & they only seem to carry pumpkin pie filling not just plain canned pumpkin. I know this b/c I was looking for plain canned pumpkin to add to my dogs food.

I will keep searching. I will need to sub chia seeds for eggs as I have to be low iodine. That's what appealed to me about this recipe in the first place ---- no eggs, no dairy.

You can't get Libbys? It shows pie on the front, but read the ingredient. Its only cooked & mushed pumpkin

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: