Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Breadcrumbs

15 posts in this topic

Breadcrumbs? What is the best bet?

Ads by Google:

We save the heals of our gluten-free bread and make them in the blender.

There have been many threads of different breadcrumb ideas...try typing "breadcrumbs" into the "search forum via google" at the top right of your screen - you'll find lots of ideas.

For meatballs/meatloaf, I crumble a slice or two of gluten free bread so it resembles fresh breadcrumbs.

For "breading" chicken, I use instant potato flakes.

I also just use the butts of my bread. (Yeah, I call them bread butts.) I just throw them in the blender or food processor. I use them for meatballs or meatloaf or mac & cheese, those sorts of things. I've never done something that is breaded exactly so I don't have experience with that although I don't see why they wouldn't be perfectly acceptable.

Thanks. I don't have bread butts (ha!). I haven't had bread for a long time (pre-celiac).

Anyone else? Want to make a nut loaf.

Thanks. I don't have bread butts (ha!). I haven't had bread for a long time (pre-celiac).

Anyone else? Want to make a nut loaf.

Gluten free Rice Chex cereal ground up in the blender makes a great coating.

I make bread just for crumbs, using Bette Hagman's Four Flour bread. You could use any recipe, but this one isn't very good for slices, but easy enough to make. After baking, I let it cool and cut it into 1/2" cubes or tear it up depending on how aggressive I feel toward the bread, let it sit in a big bowl covered with a towel to dry out a little overnight (and keep it from the cats). Next day I spread the pieces in a baking dish and put them in the oven at 250, stirring every 30 minutes until thoroughly dry. You can even leave them in the oven overnight as it cools. Cubes can be made into croutons at this point, or just bag it all up until you feel like getting the food processor or blender out. Grind in batches to the desired fineness and store at room temp. The key to safe storage is to make sure the bread is completely dry, otherwise it could get moldy. You could keep the crumbs in your freezer if you have more room than I do. A bread recipe that calls for 2 cups of flour will make, oddly enough, about 2 cups of crumbs. Today is a 2 loaf day because those eggplants need to be made into parmesan and that will take a lot of crumbs.

Kinnikinnick makes a very good panko style bread crumb.Drop them in the blender/food processor for smaller crumbs. Throw in some Italian seasoning for seasoned crumbs.

I use the end pieces of bread, dried as described above, for crostini and croutons.

I grind up gluten-free Rice Krispies in the food processor. I'm soy free too, so the Rice Chex don't work for me, but I'll bet they'd work well too?

depending on how aggressive I feel toward the bread

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA! This could apply to a lot of different things!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I grind up gluten-free Rice Krispies in the food processor. I'm soy free too, so the Rice Chex don't work for me, but I'll bet they'd work well too?

Gluten free Rice Chex does not have soy in it....at least not on the west coast where I live...I'm also soy intolerant.

I grind up gluten-free crackers for meatloaf. For chicken breading, I use gluten-free bisquick. For fish, I use Zanteranes. (Sp?)

Kinnikinnick makes a very good panko style bread crumb.Drop them in the blender/food processor for smaller crumbs. Throw in some Italian seasoning for seasoned crumbs.

I use the end pieces of bread, dried as described above, for crostini and croutons.

Kinnikinnick "panko" crumbs are a far cry from authentic panko crumbs which are more like large jagged shards. No matter - they certainly do have their place. It just sort of bugs me that they call them "panko". :angry:

You can also use cornbread cubes.

Like a lot of other "store-bought" stuff, I never used Panko pre-gluten free, so I don't know the difference. If you've never had the good stuff, the substitute is fine.

Kinnikinnick "panko" crumbs are a far cry from authentic panko crumbs which are more like large jagged shards. No matter - they certainly do have their place. It just sort of bugs me that they call them "panko". :angry:

You can also use cornbread cubes.

i made panko by accident - i use the heels of (udi's and rudi's) bread to make crumbs - i usually dry them out really well in the oven before i put them in the processor. this time i got in a hurry and tried to grind them while they were still really soft and they were clumping up so i shook the grinder so they would unclump and they resembled panko so i baked them for 5 minutes and they came out GREAT. very happy with this because i used to used panko alot. i have found packaged glutino crumbs, but they were wierd. like corn-y wierd.

lolz - the first bread i bought when i was dx'd was ener-g. i was ready to jump off the ledge... icky...