Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

We save the heals of our gluten-free bread and make them in the blender.

There have been many threads of different breadcrumb ideas...try typing "breadcrumbs" into the "search forum via google" at the top right of your screen - you'll find lots of ideas.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

For meatballs/meatloaf, I crumble a slice or two of gluten free bread so it resembles fresh breadcrumbs.

For "breading" chicken, I use instant potato flakes.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

I also just use the butts of my bread. (Yeah, I call them bread butts.) I just throw them in the blender or food processor. I use them for meatballs or meatloaf or mac & cheese, those sorts of things. I've never done something that is breaded exactly so I don't have experience with that although I don't see why they wouldn't be perfectly acceptable.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 user853

user853

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Thanks. I don't have bread butts (ha!). I haven't had bread for a long time (pre-celiac).

Anyone else? Want to make a nut loaf.

#6 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Thanks. I don't have bread butts (ha!). I haven't had bread for a long time (pre-celiac).

Anyone else? Want to make a nut loaf.

Gluten free Rice Chex cereal ground up in the blender makes a great coating.

#7 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

I make bread just for crumbs, using Bette Hagman's Four Flour bread. You could use any recipe, but this one isn't very good for slices, but easy enough to make. After baking, I let it cool and cut it into 1/2" cubes or tear it up depending on how aggressive I feel toward the bread, let it sit in a big bowl covered with a towel to dry out a little overnight (and keep it from the cats). Next day I spread the pieces in a baking dish and put them in the oven at 250, stirring every 30 minutes until thoroughly dry. You can even leave them in the oven overnight as it cools. Cubes can be made into croutons at this point, or just bag it all up until you feel like getting the food processor or blender out. Grind in batches to the desired fineness and store at room temp. The key to safe storage is to make sure the bread is completely dry, otherwise it could get moldy. You could keep the crumbs in your freezer if you have more room than I do. A bread recipe that calls for 2 cups of flour will make, oddly enough, about 2 cups of crumbs. Today is a 2 loaf day because those eggplants need to be made into parmesan and that will take a lot of crumbs.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#8 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Kinnikinnick makes a very good panko style bread crumb.Drop them in the blender/food processor for smaller crumbs. Throw in some Italian seasoning for seasoned crumbs.

I use the end pieces of bread, dried as described above, for crostini and croutons.

#9 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

I grind up gluten-free Rice Krispies in the food processor. I'm soy free too, so the Rice Chex don't work for me, but I'll bet they'd work well too?

#10 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

depending on how aggressive I feel toward the bread

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA! This could apply to a lot of different things!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#11 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

I grind up gluten-free Rice Krispies in the food processor. I'm soy free too, so the Rice Chex don't work for me, but I'll bet they'd work well too?

Gluten free Rice Chex does not have soy in it....at least not on the west coast where I live...I'm also soy intolerant.

#12 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

I grind up gluten-free crackers for meatloaf. For chicken breading, I use gluten-free bisquick. For fish, I use Zanteranes. (Sp?)

#13 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Kinnikinnick makes a very good panko style bread crumb.Drop them in the blender/food processor for smaller crumbs. Throw in some Italian seasoning for seasoned crumbs.

I use the end pieces of bread, dried as described above, for crostini and croutons.

Kinnikinnick "panko" crumbs are a far cry from authentic panko crumbs which are more like large jagged shards. No matter - they certainly do have their place. It just sort of bugs me that they call them "panko". :angry:

You can also use cornbread cubes.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#14 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Like a lot of other "store-bought" stuff, I never used Panko pre-gluten free, so I don't know the difference. If you've never had the good stuff, the substitute is fine.

#15 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Kinnikinnick "panko" crumbs are a far cry from authentic panko crumbs which are more like large jagged shards. No matter - they certainly do have their place. It just sort of bugs me that they call them "panko". :angry:

You can also use cornbread cubes.

i made panko by accident - i use the heels of (udi's and rudi's) bread to make crumbs - i usually dry them out really well in the oven before i put them in the processor. this time i got in a hurry and tried to grind them while they were still really soft and they were clumping up so i shook the grinder so they would unclump and they resembled panko so i baked them for 5 minutes and they came out GREAT. very happy with this because i used to used panko alot. i have found packaged glutino crumbs, but they were wierd. like corn-y wierd.

lolz - the first bread i bought when i was dx'd was ener-g. i was ready to jump off the ledge... icky...

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: