5 replies to this topic

#1 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

What ingredient in Neosporin has gluten? Just wondered. Cut my finger recently, at school, and the nurse put some on the cut. I usually use Bacitracin, but the tube I have now is out of date, so used Neosporin for a few days at home. Had to stop b/c my hand was swelling up larger instead of smaller. I'd had a tetnus shot the same day also so it should have been getting better. Last night I washed off the Neosporin and this morning the swelling had gone completely down and my thumb looks normal now.

Does anyone else have trouble with Neosporin?
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

From neosporin's frequently asked questions:
http://www.neosporin...d/first-aid-faq

Is there gluten in NEOSPORIN® First Aid Antibiotics?

Gluten-containing ingredients are not added to NEOSPORIN® First Aid Antibiotics.

That being said . . . my daughter was bit in the face by a dog when she was 18 months old and had to see a plastic surgeon. The plastic surgeon was adamant that I NOT use Neosporin (and that I use Bacitracin) because a certain percentage of the population "reacts" to Neosporin. Since then she has used it in other locations (skinned knees, cut fingers, etc) without any problems, but it wasn't worth "testing" when it came to her face. Maybe you are part of that percentage that reacts . . . that doesn't sound like a gluten reaction but more of an alergy-type reaction.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#3 FernW

FernW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

I am one of those people who is allergic the Neosiporin. I found out years before my celiac diagnosis. I am allergic to neomyicinsulfate and I get a severe reaction no matter where I put it. Does not even have to be an open sore. There are other first aid creams with the same ingredient so I have to be careful. Just another thing I have to watch out for.

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

My dad is also sensitive to Neosporin. The nurse at his doctor's office told him it was not uncommon.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Wow! I had no idea. Thank you all. Does anyone react to Dial soap, also? My dad and I couldn't use it b/c it made us itch terribly.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

i too am allergic to it, found out years ago when i had stiches out (popped open afterward, not fun).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: