2 replies to this topic

#1 DavinaRN

DavinaRN

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

I had my blood work this am and went gluten free today. I need to lose 15-25lbs, but more importantly I need to feel good. Wondering if anyone wants to post back and forth to keep motivation up.
Gluten Free since October 2012
Negative blood work, positive dietary response
Endocrinologist offered referral to GI if I needed formal diagnosis to follow the diet, otherwise just pass on wheat, barley & rye
and save my money

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skysmom03

Skysmom03

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Be careful. Some people gain weight on the diet. My husband gained 60 lbs and my son is also gaining weight. Good luck!!

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hi Davina-

Thought I'd add that it can be difficult to lose weight during the early days gluten-free - especially if you had unexplained weight gain prior to removing gluten. Once the digestive system begins to heal and is able to digest and absorb nutrients properly weight adjusts. Those that had unexplained weight loss begin to gain and those of us with unexplained weight gain begin to lose.

It is important to watch the amount of processed gluten free items because these can have even more calories than the foods they are replacing. Sticking to whole foods and patience is the best plan. First you'll heal, then if the weight doesn't adjust you can concentrate on weight loss. For me I lost about 30 pounds during my first year gluten-free - eating far more than I ever had in my life - at first I just started looking lighter because I lost the bloated look from all over without losing weight. After about three months gluten-free weight started to drop.

I hope you'll heal and be able to adjust your weight at the same time, but don't worry if the weight doesn't drop right away.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: