Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

College Student Needing Advice

7 posts in this topic

Hi there! About 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy, but did nothing about it. For a while, I was fine. Now I can't seem to eat anything with wheat. My mom and I are unsure, but it might be a gluten intolerance as well. For about a month, I have been slowly starting a gluten free diet, but at this point, i can't process any wheat. Basically I need guidance! I am a college freshman and have no idea what I can and can't eat! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ads by Google:

do you live on campus and eat there? If so you need to get a letter from your doctor explaining your issues with it, take it to the disability office on campus, and then they can help you with the rest.

At this point because you are still eating gluten, get the Celaic panel. Then you will know if you have to avoid gluten or just wheat.

Hey there,

I am a college sophomore and I have only been gluten-free for about 2 months, so I totally understand what you are going through! My advice to you is to a.) consider the options your school has for special diets students. Can they accommodate you? Do they have gluten free foods available? If no, then b.) consider doing your own cooking and grocery shopping. The brand Udi

thank you so much!

As the others have stated you should see your doctor and get a drs note from him / her. Take that note to your school and they should definitely be able to accommodate you. I've always cooked my own food, so when I was in college I'd cook enough food for a few days to a week and then put it in tupperware. When I was ready to eat I simply heated it up and was ready to go :).

If you have a fridge, a crockpot has to be a student's best friend. You can just toss the ingredients in in the morning, set it to low, and when you are ready for dinner it's done. Leftovers in plastic bags and frozen for lunches, dinners, breakfasts, whenever you happen to be around. :)