6 replies to this topic

#1 mackahroni

mackahroni

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hi there! About 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy, but did nothing about it. For a while, I was fine. Now I can't seem to eat anything with wheat. My mom and I are unsure, but it might be a gluten intolerance as well. For about a month, I have been slowly starting a gluten free diet, but at this point, i can't process any wheat. Basically I need guidance! I am a college freshman and have no idea what I can and can't eat! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

do you live on campus and eat there? If so you need to get a letter from your doctor explaining your issues with it, take it to the disability office on campus, and then they can help you with the rest.

#3 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

At this point because you are still eating gluten, get the Celaic panel. Then you will know if you have to avoid gluten or just wheat.
Michigan

#4 glutenfree015

glutenfree015

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hey there,

I am a college sophomore and I have only been gluten-free for about 2 months, so I totally understand what you are going through! My advice to you is to a.) consider the options your school has for special diets students. Can they accommodate you? Do they have gluten free foods available? If no, then b.) consider doing your own cooking and grocery shopping. The brand Udi’s makes great gluten free breads (also wheat free), cookies, bagels, and even frozen pizzas. They’re great for college students because you can keep eating like a “normal” student without feeling isolated among your peers, while also remaining healthy. Lots of fruits and veggies, meats, nuts, gluten free pastas, ect. Most junk food has got to go though-- so if you’re missing that, look at Udi’s products, in addition to some Trader Joes desserts and Enjoy Life chocolate bars.

Good luck to you! I know its tough. Most of my friends have been very supportive though!

#5 mackahroni

mackahroni

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

thank you so much!

#6 eglassman88

eglassman88

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

As the others have stated you should see your doctor and get a drs note from him / her. Take that note to your school and they should definitely be able to accommodate you. I've always cooked my own food, so when I was in college I'd cook enough food for a few days to a week and then put it in tupperware. When I was ready to eat I simply heated it up and was ready to go :).

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

If you have a fridge, a crockpot has to be a student's best friend. You can just toss the ingredients in in the morning, set it to low, and when you are ready for dinner it's done. Leftovers in plastic bags and frozen for lunches, dinners, breakfasts, whenever you happen to be around. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009