12 replies to this topic

#1 Linda422

Linda422

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

I am very new to all of this and we love spaghetti and I would like to try and make my own so I know just what is in. Any one have a good one that you would share?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

Sorry I don't have a recipe as I don't make my own spaghetti sauce. But if you ever wish to doctor up a premade one, all Classico red and white sauces are gluten-free. http://www.classico.com/FAQ.aspx
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

when i used to be able to have tomatos, my mother would take canned tommatos (the sliced up ones) some paste, and season it with itallian seasoning. I'm sorry i can't remember the exact recipe, but its one that you can play with to get it just right. She also let it on a low boil pretty much all day (started it in the morning and was done by the time it was to serve it).

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

The easiest way to go is canned diced tomatoes, italian seasoning, salt to taste, and simmer until the consistency you want (like an hour or two).

Three other ways I make sauce:
http://www.celiac.co...post__p__159198
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 Linda422

Linda422

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

The easiest way to go is canned diced tomatoes, italian seasoning, salt to taste, and simmer until the consistency you want (like an hour or two).

Then italian seasoning is safe to use?

I have alway made my own from tomatoes pasted and tomatoes but forgot what seasoning to put in, must be old age that is messing with my brain... :D

Thanks everyone for your infor

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

Whatever you do, make a ton of it. Freeze it and bring it out when you want it.

I have a recipe (Italian mil) but it is all technique, not recipe. My advice is to peruse recipe sites and find one that involves cooking the sauce for hours, with big chunks of meat and sausage added in for flavor. That will be a good recipe.

Marinara is much faster - chop tomatoes, herbs, seasonings and simmer for 10 minutes. Again, tons if recipes out there.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#7 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

Sorry I don't have a recipe as I don't make my own spaghetti sauce. But if you ever wish to doctor up a premade one, all Classico red and white sauces are gluten-free. http://www.classico.com/FAQ.aspx

Classico Four Cheese is my favorite. Been using it for years. I always add fresh basil and greek oregano from my garden or in the winter, from my freezer. It's so good :)
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

Then italian seasoning is safe to use?

With any prepared seasoning, read the ingredients carefully. But you can make your own from single-ingredient herbs and spices.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

As peter noted, read the ingredient labels. I buy the large bottle of McCormick Italian Seasoning (majoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano, and basil) for times I'm feeling lazy. Single herbs individually is even better, because you can customize the flavor you want (sometimes I want it more sage-rosemary, sometimes more basil (though dried basil is never as good as fresh), sometimes something else. But if you're feeling lazy, and want nothing more than to dump three ingredients into a pot to simmer, well... it works great. :)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 Linda422

Linda422

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Thanks Everyone,

Right now I am too lazy to do to much of anything...just don't have the enery but I'll get there. We are going to can it instead of freezing it. :D

#11 Linda422

Linda422

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

Thanks Tarnalberry I found what I was looking for on the site that you posted. :D

#12 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

I'm sharing this only because it was shared with me. Love2travel shared this with me when I was desperate. I love how super easy it is too. Cook some veggies, throw some meat at it, add everything else. Then just leave it alone. I did also find youtube videos of him making the sauce, because who doesn't need a little Mario Batali in their lives?

http://www.yummly.co...rk_2?servings=8

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#13 Linda422

Linda422

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:50 AM

I'm sharing this only because it was shared with me. Love2travel shared this with me when I was desperate. I love how super easy it is too. Cook some veggies, throw some meat at it, add everything else. Then just leave it alone. I did also find youtube videos of him making the sauce, because who doesn't need a little Mario Batali in their lives?

http://www.yummly.co...rk_2?servings=8

Now that is diff.....I printed it out and we will give it a try...Thanks so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: