11 replies to this topic

#1 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Has anyone tried to walk thier cat on a leash? Or put her in the yard on a long lead? (while you are outside with her, of course).

Cooper would like to take his cat out in the yard.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

HaHaHaHa. Let Cooper put the leash on :D Any cat of mine has just rolled over and played dead when harnessed :lol: However, they did like to come for walks with the dog... sometimes took forever to shoo them back home.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

Our little girlie travels with us. The only time we used a very long/very thin leash was when we were camping and worried she would wander too far. She was not pleased, but got over it. Shelby does often follow along when we walk our dog - no leash - she just tags along.

Gracie will likely just hang out if let outside. Most cats don't wander far from their food supply and I've never known one to get lost the way our dogs have when they have gone wandering.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

I don't want to chance her getting out and staying out. there have been several cats that appear to have been eaten by a coyote in the last few weeks. Gracie loves the screened porch. One corner puts her over the bird bath and near the bird feeder.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

The long thin leash we had worked well - it was really lightweight so she wasn't really hampered by it - it was about 15' long so she could investigate w/out wandering. As long as someone is hanging with her or there is nothing to get caught on - should work fine - combined with a breakaway kitty collar.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

I had a SIL who would put some of her cats on a long leash clipped onto a clothesline. They were happy to be outside, and she'd go out and untangle them periodically. The neighborhood was safe from predators, and she had a fenced yard, but the cats were damaged (one deaf, one brain damaged, one missing a limb or something) and she didn't want to risk them getting out of the yard.

She had other kitties that she used a collar and invisible fence on, and other kitties that were indoor only.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#7 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Also knew a woman with indoor cats that she would put harnesses on, load into the car, and take for walks in the state parks (no dogs allowed).

She said they loved it...
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

While I have never done it I have seen people walking their kitties on a lead or on a line sitting on their porch so it can be done.
One thing I would caution you about is entanglement if Cooper and his kitty play a lot together. When those thin leads get tangled around another animal it can happen quick and have deadly consequences. We had a big lab once that we put out on a line attached to a clothes line. Another dog came in the yard and they began playing and the line got wrapped around the other dog. He was in a great deal of pain and bit me when I tried to get him free. We had to call the animal control officer who snared him and cut the line free. Unfortunately he called us the next day and the dog had expired due to internal injuries. Not trying to scare you but I would hate to see your lovely lab accidently get hurt while he and his kitty are wrestling.
You could try to train the kitty to come when called. Not as hard as one might think but not all kitties are trainable. The one kitty we have left, Frankie, comes instantly when called. Big Boy, who passed a couple of weeks ago, wouldn't come for anything, even food. If your kitty is trainable you could let them both be free in the yard under supervision and be reasonably certain that kitty would come in when asked.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

So sorry to hear about Big Boy :(
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Sorry about Big Boy.

Cooper and Gracie don't play together. But I'll make sure we keep Coop away. Gracie does come when called about 75% of the time! Better percentage than teenagers! Though, like teenage boys, she does come 100% of the time if she hears the refridgerator door open and then is called.

Maybe I'm on to something & go on Shark Tank? :D

santa-dance.gif

#11 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

Yes, Shark Tank!! I'm addicted to that show:). But I digress....we have had many cats over the years. Our very first, Hudson, loved to go outside with us and didn't mind a leash at all. We used to take him visiting with us, too. Loved to ride in the car:)

Tyler, our present lil guy would not stand for it. He was a ferel and has a completely different personality.

I'd say try it with Gracie. I think it's nice for an indoor cat to get out in the fresh air once in a while (with a leash, etc).
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for your kind words about Big Boy. He was a big lovable lump who got to enjoy being the 'top cat' for a year or so after King Ricki passed. He suddenly lost weight and one morning I noticed he seemed to have labored breathing. I took him in to the vet she took x-rays and we found he had a large tumor. The vet said there was nothing that could be done. He had a good long life as Lexi and Ricki did before him.
Unfortunately we are only loaned the angels we get to have in our lives. The rainbow bridge will be very crowded the day I join all of mine.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: