Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Glucola For Diabetes Fasting Test - Alternative?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone who has soy allergy has done any alternative to drinking glucola for glucose tolerance test. I refused it when I was pregnant because it contains brominated vegetable oil which contains soy. I have an analphylaxis reaction with soy, so that is out of the question. It appears that no doctors are aware/educated on this because when I questioned my doc, she claimed there was no soy in the drink. I read online about eating jelly beans but I'm not sure the lab would approve of that. Any information would be appreciated.

thanks,

Fran

Ads by Google:

Maybe you could find out the manufacturer of the one they want to give you and call them for the full ingredients list? Maybe the ingredients are on the bottle & they could show that to the doctor?

I forget the alternatives I've read on pregnancy/midwifery sites, but you can google for it as it's not super uncommon in some circles for women to use an alternative to glucola for GTT in some areas of care. (If it's for a pregnancy, a professional midwife is most likely to be the most open to the option. Some will even allow you to simply use a glucose meter to monitor your levels closely for a few days without the unnatural 100g instant dose of glucose that can mess up anyone's system.)

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone who has soy allergy has done any alternative to drinking glucola for glucose tolerance test. I refused it when I was pregnant because it contains brominated vegetable oil which contains soy. I have an analphylaxis reaction with soy, so that is out of the question. It appears that no doctors are aware/educated on this because when I questioned my doc, she claimed there was no soy in the drink. I read online about eating jelly beans but I'm not sure the lab would approve of that. Any information would be appreciated.

thanks,

Fran

Last time I drank Glucola. I was sick, sick, sick. I couldn't shake the resulting fatigue, fogginess, and nausea. I also tested 80 one hour after, which is low for fasting. Hmm that was maybe a clue that my absorbtion wasn't so good. Just to clarify I was 5 months pregnant and tended toward nausea. I probably had not consumed as much sugar as was in that glucola over the 5 months of prgnancy befor it.

After the glucola my blood pressure had trouble, my babies fluid level looked low, and my pregnancy became high risk. After being diagnosed high risk, the symptoms kept improving. The pregnancy ended with the healthy birth of my daughter.

I do not recommend anyone drink it. The idea of just watching blood sugar on your regular diet plan strikes me as a very good one.

Yeah, I think watching the blood sugar for a few days would be so much safer.

I don't think I had glucola because it wasn't cola. I think it was orange flavored. Whatever it was, made me super sick. I couldn't eat for two days after. I too have read about the jelly beans but have never heard of a Dr. that would use them. And would they be free of soy?