Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Glucola For Diabetes Fasting Test - Alternative?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 celiacsoprano

celiacsoprano

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:17 AM

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone who has soy allergy has done any alternative to drinking glucola for glucose tolerance test. I refused it when I was pregnant because it contains brominated vegetable oil which contains soy. I have an analphylaxis reaction with soy, so that is out of the question. It appears that no doctors are aware/educated on this because when I questioned my doc, she claimed there was no soy in the drink. I read online about eating jelly beans but I'm not sure the lab would approve of that. Any information would be appreciated.

thanks,
Fran

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

Maybe you could find out the manufacturer of the one they want to give you and call them for the full ingredients list? Maybe the ingredients are on the bottle & they could show that to the doctor?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

I forget the alternatives I've read on pregnancy/midwifery sites, but you can google for it as it's not super uncommon in some circles for women to use an alternative to glucola for GTT in some areas of care. (If it's for a pregnancy, a professional midwife is most likely to be the most open to the option. Some will even allow you to simply use a glucose meter to monitor your levels closely for a few days without the unnatural 100g instant dose of glucose that can mess up anyone's system.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone who has soy allergy has done any alternative to drinking glucola for glucose tolerance test. I refused it when I was pregnant because it contains brominated vegetable oil which contains soy. I have an analphylaxis reaction with soy, so that is out of the question. It appears that no doctors are aware/educated on this because when I questioned my doc, she claimed there was no soy in the drink. I read online about eating jelly beans but I'm not sure the lab would approve of that. Any information would be appreciated.

thanks,
Fran

Last time I drank Glucola. I was sick, sick, sick. I couldn't shake the resulting fatigue, fogginess, and nausea. I also tested 80 one hour after, which is low for fasting. Hmm that was maybe a clue that my absorbtion wasn't so good. Just to clarify I was 5 months pregnant and tended toward nausea. I probably had not consumed as much sugar as was in that glucola over the 5 months of prgnancy befor it.

After the glucola my blood pressure had trouble, my babies fluid level looked low, and my pregnancy became high risk. After being diagnosed high risk, the symptoms kept improving. The pregnancy ended with the healthy birth of my daughter.

I do not recommend anyone drink it. The idea of just watching blood sugar on your regular diet plan strikes me as a very good one.

Yeah, I think watching the blood sugar for a few days would be so much safer.

#5 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

I don't think I had glucola because it wasn't cola. I think it was orange flavored. Whatever it was, made me super sick. I couldn't eat for two days after. I too have read about the jelly beans but have never heard of a Dr. that would use them. And would they be free of soy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: