This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Apple Pie Crust

JackieC

JackieC Newbie

I tried to make an apple pie using white rice flour. Boy was I dissapointed. :( It was awful! Tasted like sand. I had the throw the whole thing out.

Anyone have any good apple pie recipes - gluten free of course !

Thank you!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

This recent thread might be helpful

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

You could have eaten the apples!!

:lol: :lol:

I had to do that with a bombed pie last week....

JackieC Newbie

You could have eaten the apples!!

:lol: :lol:

I had to do that with a bombed pie last week....

You're right... I should have. I was so discouraged that I just through the whole thing out!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

You're right... I should have. I was so discouraged that I just through the whole thing out!

It happens!

:D :D

Ginsou Explorer

I tried to make an apple pie using white rice flour. Boy was I dissapointed. :( It was awful! Tasted like sand. I had the throw the whole thing out.

Anyone have any good apple pie recipes - gluten free of course !

Thank you!! :)

I'm surprised no one has come on board with Bette Hagman's pie crust recipe. Last week I paid $5.00 for a frozen store bought gluten free pie crust, and it was terrible. I ate the filling and my husband choked down the crust. Back to Bette Hagman's recipe for me.I double this recipe for a generous 2 crust pie because I find this recipe a bit too short on dough for a deep dish pie. I make cinnamon swirls with the leftover dough.

I let the refrigerated dough sit on the counter and warm up....cold dough simply does not roll out easily for me, yet many pie crust recipes say to use it cold. I live at a high altitude and sometimes add an extra egg or water to be able to work the dough properly.

1 cup white rice flour (I used brown rice)

3/4 cup tapioca flour

3/4 cup cornstarch

1 rounded teaspoon xanthan gum

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 Tablespoon sugar

3/4 cup shortening (I use Spectrum)

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 Tablespoon vinegar

2 to 3 Tablespoons ice water

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cornstarch, xanthan gum, salt, and sugar. Cut in the shortening until pieces are the size of peas. Blend together the beaten egg, vinegar, and cold water. Stir in the flour mixture, holding back some, until the pastry holds together and forms a ball. (Kneading will not toughen this pastry.)

Form two balls and place in a bowl; cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove and roll one ball at a time between 2 sheets of plastic wrap that have been dusted with sweet rice flour. To place in a pie tin: Remove top sheet and using the other for ease of handling, invert the dough and drop it into the pan. Shape it into the curves before removing the second piece of plastic wrap. For a crust to be used later, bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes. For a filled pie, follow directions for that pie. Makes two 9" crusts or a double-crusted pie.

Ginsou Explorer

Carol Fenster's book, 1,000 gluten free recipes has a pie crust recipe similar to Bette Hagman's....has anyone tried Carol's recipe that is on page 587? Just curious.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

finally diagnosed Apprentice

I don't ususally make pie crust becuase I stink at baking / rolling dough etc. I have made this apple pie from Betty Crocker it is easy and my family loves it better than regular (gluten) apple pie. I found the hardest part for me was cutting the apples... it was good here is the recipe if you like it. I usually google betty crocker gluten free recipes and have very good results. Good Luck..

Impossilby Easy French Apple Pie

Filling

3 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (3 medium)

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 cup Bisquick

lpellegr Collaborator

I second the Bette Hagman crust. It works up beautifully and consistently and gets thumbs up from the gluten-eaters. That's my go-to pie crust recipe for apple pie or pumpkin. I have even used dough frozen for a year and gotten perfectly fine results (yeah, I'm a slob about my freezer, so sue me). And if you bake the scraps and smear them with jelly you can pretend you have Pop-Tarts. Dammit, now I want pie.

JackieC Newbie

Thank you everyone. This was all very helpful!

luvs2eat Collaborator

I'm a huge fan of Better Batter flour. I make pie crusts and throw the dough in the freezer and always have it available. I used to put together all the different flour flavors, but found the already mixed flour mixes much more usable.

Archived