This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So, You Are Not Going To Believe This

kvanrens1

kvanrens1 Explorer

After my daughter was having some stomach pain after being on the gluten-free diet for six months, we started looking everywhere for hidden sources of gluten. We found that the hamster food had wheat listed high up in the ingredient list. Her hamsters are on her desk that she draws, colors, and eats snacks at. So after doing some research, I could not find any commercial gluten free hamster food so started making our own. I am still not sure if that was the hidden source or not. Her stomach aches have stopped but her ped GI also put her back on acid reflux medication (maybe it wasn't gluten but acid reflux). Still glad that we have eliminated the hamster food as a possible source of gluten.

Anyway, I wanted to report on the hamsters. They seem to really like the gluten-free food. Their cage does not smell nearly as bad, there is less hamster waste in the cage, and their coats are shinier. Who knew that hamsters could benefit from a gluten-free diet :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

The homemade food is probably healthier. What is the "recipe"? Would be nice to refer people to this thread in the future.

nvsmom Community Regular

LOL That's brilliant. I don't think I would have caught that!

mommida Enthusiast

Hmmm you might be on to something. The first gluten free hamster food on the market! I can see your family's experience on the side of the bag and some of the health benefits for the hamsters listed too.

What lucky little hamsters! Is there anything mommies don't do?

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I reckon it is only a small step to cornering the market in gluten-free hamster bars ;)

• 6 years later...
Kellyanne Newbie
On 10/22/2012 at 7:49 PM, kvanrens1 said:

After my daughter was having some stomach pain after being on the gluten-free diet for six months, we started looking everywhere for hidden sources of gluten. We found that the hamster food had wheat listed high up in the ingredient list. Her hamsters are on her desk that she draws, colors, and eats snacks at. So after doing some research, I could not find any commercial gluten free hamster food so started making our own. I am still not sure if that was the hidden source or not. Her stomach aches have stopped but her ped GI also put her back on acid reflux medication (maybe it wasn't gluten but acid reflux). Still glad that we have eliminated the hamster food as a possible source of gluten.

Anyway, I wanted to report on the hamsters. They seem to really like the gluten-free food. Their cage does not smell nearly as bad, there is less hamster waste in the cage, and their coats are shinier. Who knew that hamsters could benefit from a gluten-free diet :lol:

Hi, I’m trying to find out how to make gluten free hamster food, as my 9 year old coeliac daughter is struggling to stay well and we want to rule out contamination from her pet. Could you please tell me what ingredients you used? Thank you, Kelly