Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Possible Dh? (Pics)

5 posts in this topic

Good afternoon all :)

I am sure this is a stretch, but wondering if anyone could take a few moments and look at my pics to see if they believe I may be in the middle of a DH outbreak. With the swelling involved, I was assuming they were bites, however this has happened multiple times over the past two months and will be very random in nature as to when it appears. I can not pinpoint any specific cause...I only know it is unbearably itchy and inflamed when it occurs. The itch is so intense that I rotate hydracortisone and benadryl with minimal effect on the problem. If I itch the areas/rub the areas the swelling seemed to extend further out in the initial inflammation period. These most recent pics were taken starting Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and today Monday to show the progression. Once inflammation goes down you can see the smaller blisters that are fluid filled. I will get the small blisters on other areas of my body, not just wrist area. This has happened on lower face/chin, above knee/upper leg, and arm. I seem to always have areas sporadically that will be blisters that break open with the clear fluid. They will last quite some time and always leave a scar. The scar starts out a purple-ish red and then over time will fade a bit.

I have been food-allergy tested and am told I have 28 food allergies, but I cannot seem to figure out how one would eliminate that many foods, so I haven't eliminated any foods at this point. My allergist basically gave me an epi-pen, told me to not eat the offending foods, and sent me on my way to figure it all out. This is my second round of testing ( a year later ) which confirmed the allergies. He basically told me to avoid all vegetables (Beans/Peas were high allergen), Wheat, Corn, Rye, Barley, Soy, Potato, Tomato, Carrrots, Celery, Cinnamon, essentially all nuts...etc. Meats & dairy were A-OK but I am lactose intolerant.

Soooo....the pics:

This is right when it started:

Itchy/inflamed if even touched:

Another pic...after inflamation started to go down:

After shower (super itchy in shower):

In daylight, inflammation going down and you can now see the blisters:

Today the inflammation is much less, but blisters are noticeable:

Ads by Google:

I stopped trying to Id DH visually, so in really if no help.

Of you have a reaction to gluten or iodine (meaning it makes your rash worse) its a good hint it's DH.

I'm sure some here will say it looks like DH, others will say no.

DH usually has a 2 week (or so) life, and tends to itch more at particular times of day (later into evening). The sores usually swell and fill at night, drain, repeat for almost a week then start drying up. But as sure as I just said that, someone will disagree with me.

If you think it's DH, try going gluten-free and perhaps low iodine for a few months. If things improve you'll know you're into something. You could also ask a dermatologist for a biopsy.

Thanks for the response. I would take te breakouts/itching any day over the severe stomach pain that afflicts me daily. My stomach literally revolts 24/7. It's just mentally exhausting. Was hoping that all if the symptoms together would provide a clue. Going just gluten free has never helped me completely as I have other allergies. Unfortunately I guess I am just one if those people who will be "out of luck" and have to live in pain:/ Hard to accept, but after this long I've given up hope.

Well, quite frankly, all you can do is try.

Pick a group of foods and avoid them, keep a food diary, and see what happens.

I certainly understand what it is to be in constant pain, and don't wish it on anyone.

Thanks for the reply. I will do my best. I know people here can't really give me answers without knowing history, test results, etc. Was just a random shot in the dark and a silent prayer for an answer/pain relief. :) My kids deserve me at my best...and I am really trying for them. If they were older I wouldn't be as worried.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I have seen articles linking celiac to Barretts and esophagitis.  I've actually been subtly hinting to my boyfriend to get tested for celiac as well because he has some strange Autoimmune arthritis as well as Barrett's  and some white spots on brain MRI Not MS). One of the articles I read on Celiac and Barrett's actually suggested that most of the patient did not have actual acid reflux symptoms. Not sure if you ever did antibody testing for celiac, but sounds like you certainly want to avoid gluten. 
    • Ahh good point! She is 13 and has been miserable for over two years. It started with chronic hives. We have been to a dermatologist, and a allergist and they brushed it off to her seasonal allergies and now she has joint pain,bloating,constipation,fatigue,headaches just all around miserable. I just want answers quick. she is getting depressed and says she hates her life cause she doesn't think anyone believes her. It's heart breaking . I hope we get answer soon. Thanks for the advice I will keep her on gluten. She is just miserable and I figured the sooner she is off gluten the sooner she will feel better. 
    • Welllllllll, in this particular case it would be best to keep her on gluten until the results come back. The reason I say this is b/c this GI seems whacky. There's a chance you may need to go to a different GI & have the endoscopy redone. I was going to say get a new GI but since the endoscopy is on Monday then I would go forth with it rather than waiting the time it would take to get a new GI & schedule an endoscopy. This GI seems set that it's not celiac & when they get that in their brain it's usually pretty darn hard for them to admit they were wrong. My concern is that she won't take enough biopsies from the right places b/c she's either dumb about how many & where or letting her personal (already formed) opinion influence what she will do. The problem is that you can't be there in the OR with them standing on the GI's shoulders making her do the right thing. Not knowing your daughters age, the other concern is that there may not be "enough" damage just yet, it may be patchy, etc..... that with the mindset this doc has, she will poo poo the dx.  Let me say that it would be a travesty & wholly awful IF you had to put your daughter through another endoscopy but we know how very important it is for her to have an official, dyed in the wool dx. So I'm just trying to think down the line & prevent problems before they come up. I mean, this doc may not even take any biopsies. That sounds insane I realize, but really, it happens more often than you would think. I can't tell you the number of times we've had people come on here after having an endoscopy for celiac where the doc didn't take any biopsies b/c the doc is so stupid as to think they can see the damage & doesn't realize there MUST be biopsies! If you take her off gluten & heaven forbid, you have to end up putting her back on it to get further testing then chances are she's going to get much, much sicker when she's put back on gluten. That most often happens with us and I'm talking about radically sick. See, I'm basing all my thinking on the fact that despite ALL the positive celiac blood work, this dimwit doc doesn't think it's celiac & instead it's all related to the constipation. That is just so far out there, it's NUTS! She's flying in the face of hard evidence! Every test you listed was positive. I can't even begin to understand how this GI comes to her insane conclusion. THAT'S why I am so concerned. 
    • Thanks for your reply. That's what my husband and I thought too. She has a ton of symptoms that's fit celiac. Also I was going to start her gluten free diet after her biopsy on Monday cause the dr said the results take two weeks. Is there a reason I should keep her eating gluten until we get the results? Thanks for your help.
    • In reflex testing they look at a result and decide if the next test is needed.  Another example, some labs only do EMA if the Ttg is positive.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member