Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Medication Other Than Dapsone? Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 Sad&Itchy

Sad&Itchy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Hi. After itching most of my life and being diagnosted with excema,dairy sensitivity, chronic hives.... I finally figured out I had DH last year at 38 yrs old. I was diagnosted through a blood test and then by gluten elimination. I am doing much better. The rash symptoms are much better. But I have good days and bad. I still suffer with the big itchy blisters to varying degrees. I am sooooo tired of looking like this. It has effected every part of my life. I broke down and took Dapsone. It gives me headaches that are not tolerable. I am looking for another medication. Can anyone recommend what has worked for you. I am desperate. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

Alternative treatment: http://emedicine.med...640-treatment#1
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They screwed up when they wrote that! It says:

When dermatitis herpetiformis is well-controlled, attempts can be made to taper off dapsone and perhaps attempt a diet with gluten.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you should NOT attempt a diet with gluten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They screwed up when they wrote that! It says:

When dermatitis herpetiformis is well-controlled, attempts can be made to taper off dapsone and perhaps attempt a diet with gluten.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you should NOT attempt a diet with gluten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that's an erroneous statement but I linked to that to show alternative medical treatments.

And btw that's not the only stupid thing I've seen written about DH. The stupidity is incredulous and plentiful.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

I agree that's an erroneous statement but I linked to that to show alternative medical treatments.

And btw that's not the only stupid thing I've seen written about DH. The stupidity is incredulous and plentiful.

Oh, I understand completely. I wasn't saying you did a bad thing. Yes, stupid, stupid stuff written about dh even from some of the leading celiac centers. And contradictory! We get awfully down on derms but when you look at some of the erroneous info. out there; is it any wonder why they don't know what they are doing?

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#6 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Have you tried eliminating iodine yet? It can make all the difference!

Also, if the blistering continues, you might have it tested for staph. I recently went through months of having DH that wouldn't stop blistering...only to find out that the DH had become infected with staph. Staph has the same symptoms (blistering, peeling, and then more blistering and peeling).

#7 Really good scratcher

Really good scratcher

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

I was put on Dapsone for a short while, and couldn't tolerate it well at all and was taken off Dapsone. Now i am on an Immunosuppressant drug called Cellcept. My docs/derms all agree I have an Auto Immune disorder. Cellcept is what I am currently on, but I've only been on it three days. So far so good, but it's real early yet. I am hoping this and going Gluten Free will ease my problems.

#8 Really good scratcher

Really good scratcher

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

I was put on Dapsone for a short while, and couldn't tolerate it well at all and was taken off Dapsone. Now i am on an Immunosuppressant drug called Cellcept. My docs/derms all agree I have an Auto Immune disorder. Cellcept is what I am currently on, but I've only been on it three days. So far so good, but it's real early yet. I am hoping this and going Gluten Free will ease my problems.

#9 tlcounts

tlcounts

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

My dermatologist recommended Benadryl for the itch. Don't think it will have much effect on the rash per say but it should help reduce the itch at least. He gave me a prescription for a Benadryl type med but personally I prefer Zrytec, doesn't make you as sleepy and you can take it daily with out too much trouble.

You probably already know this but he also said a sign of DH is that it doesn't respond well to any steroid creams, unfortunately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: