#1 dancerloserr2

dancerloserr2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Hey all,
I am 23 years old and was diagnosed 4 years ago and have been gluten-free ever since. I'm really good about being careful about what I eat/what make up I use/lotions/shampoos etc. I began noticing about a year ago that whenever I would get glutened I would find blood in my stool. However for the past two weeks whenever I wipe (TMI SO sorry but really worried) there is a LOT of blood. Is this normal?? If not any ideas as to what it could be?? Please help!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Is it bright red? Dark?

This was explained to me after my nasty bought of stomach bug. If you go alot (like with "D") you can get irritated in the... errr.... region down there. IF you have hemroids (can have them on the inside too!) they can bleed from too much "D".

Keep note of it, if it persist for a few days beyond the "D", then you should probably see a doc. But, generally if its bright red, its in the lower area and will, in most cases, resolve itself.

trust me, i about had a panic attack when i saw it :blink:

#3 dancerloserr2

dancerloserr2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

Is it bright red? Dark?

This was explained to me after my nasty bought of stomach bug. If you go alot (like with "D") you can get irritated in the... errr.... region down there. IF you have hemroids (can have them on the inside too!) they can bleed from too much "D".

Keep note of it, if it persist for a few days beyond the "D", then you should probably see a doc. But, generally if its bright red, its in the lower area and will, in most cases, resolve itself.

trust me, i about had a panic attack when i saw it :blink:

Definitely bright red. Thank you so much!!

#4 Kelly777

Kelly777

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Yes you do need to get it checked. I had that same thing for close to two years and a half. Finally I consulted a gastroenterologist and had to wait for six months for a endoscopy and colonoscopy because I supposedly had a rare blood disease (which I found out I didn't have but was treated for 30 years). I finally had the procedures done. They did biopsies of the esophagus and small bowel but when they did the colonoscopy they found a tennis ball sized polyp in the rectal area. It took three procedures and one major surgery to remove the polyp. Please don't wait to get this checked out. First of all, I am totally ashamed that I let my problem go for so long. I was so lucky mine turned out to be benign. The other thing is the polyp was in a spot that I could have ended up wearing a bag for the rest of my life. Don't mess around. Get it taken care of early.

#5 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hey all,
I am 23 years old and was diagnosed 4 years ago and have been gluten-free ever since. I'm really good about being careful about what I eat/what make up I use/lotions/shampoos etc. I began noticing about a year ago that whenever I would get glutened I would find blood in my stool. However for the past two weeks whenever I wipe (TMI SO sorry but really worried) there is a LOT of blood. Is this normal?? If not any ideas as to what it could be?? Please help!!

Just want to reiterate what others have said. It is most likely nothing serious, with it being very bright (means the blood is fresh) on the TP; it is more likely to be something like a hemorrhoid. However it could be more serious...do not wait to get it checked out.

Don't let embarrassment keep you away from the doctor. They see this kind of thing all the time, it's no big deal to them even though it is very personal to us!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#6 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

I had this and mine was hemorrhoids.

It was well worth getting checked out though. At least you will know
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#7 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

As the others have said having it checked out by your doc is in order.

Intestinal parasites can also cause bloody stools.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: