Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Must Cut Back On Dairy

8 posts in this topic

I have been gluten-free for almost two years - great results (my weight is steady, skin cleared up, migraines stopped, gas/bloating stopped, etc). I was still having some symptoms that drove me nuts...brain fog, oily face, dandruff, moody...so I went mostly grain/sugar free as well. That definitely helps - much harder to stick to since I'm a snacker. When I behave myself, I eat eggs for breakfast, protein/veggie for lunch and then larger portion of protein/veggie for dinner. My problem is snacking - I have been very hungry lately and have been getting dizzy and lightheaded (been wondering if I have a blood sugar problem - has always been borderline low since teen years). I've been snacking on cheese as a protein source. However, now my sinuses are acting up, I've had a constant headache for two weeks that sometimes gets unbearable (back of head at the base of skull), and I'm nauseous quite a bit. Don't know what's going on and I'm afraid it's the dairy. I was eating greek yogurt for breakfast again because I got bored with eggs...I've cut that out again, but don't know what to do about snacks. Besides nuts, what can I have that doesn't contain grains/sugar? I don't want to lose dairy forever, so I'm hoping that giving it up for a short time will allow me to keep it in moderation later. Thanks everybody!

Ads by Google:

I have been gluten-free for almost two years - great results (my weight is steady, skin cleared up, migraines stopped, gas/bloating stopped, etc). I was still having some symptoms that drove me nuts...brain fog, oily face, dandruff, moody...so I went mostly grain/sugar free as well. That definitely helps - much harder to stick to since I'm a snacker. When I behave myself, I eat eggs for breakfast, protein/veggie for lunch and then larger portion of protein/veggie for dinner. My problem is snacking - I have been very hungry lately and have been getting dizzy and lightheaded (been wondering if I have a blood sugar problem - has always been borderline low since teen years). I've been snacking on cheese as a protein source. However, now my sinuses are acting up, I've had a constant headache for two weeks that sometimes gets unbearable (back of head at the base of skull), and I'm nauseous quite a bit. Don't know what's going on and I'm afraid it's the dairy. I was eating greek yogurt for breakfast again because I got bored with eggs...I've cut that out again, but don't know what to do about snacks. Besides nuts, what can I have that doesn't contain grains/sugar? I don't want to lose dairy forever, so I'm hoping that giving it up for a short time will allow me to keep it in moderation later. Thanks everybody!

I've gotten addicted to the fried peas from nuts.com -- they satisfy my need for a crunchy snack when I'm sick of raw veggies. Fried edamame works along the same lines.

Hummus, nut butters, tuna salad, chicken salad or lettuce wraps with a couple of slices of ham/turkey or any other lunch meat with roasted red peppers, onions and a little cilantro mayo. Just a few suggestions that I ate when I was doing South beach.

lettice and peanut butter is one of my favorite snacks :)

When you say sugar free - do you eat fruit, agave, honey? There are many Paleo recipes for muffins made with coconut or almond flour. I use bananas, apples or pumpkin in mine with a small amount of agave.

For small snacks I tote along a piece of chicken, hard boiled eggs, banana, apple slices, small container of almond butter, slightly blanched asparagus or carrots (I don't like them raw) or paleo muffins.

Yup, sounds like dairy. I had the same symptoms (sinus and balance issues) and they mostly cleared up after cutting out dairy. For me the problem is casein. I can't eat goat or sheep's milk either.

Non-dairy/grain-free snacks do sound tricky, but yeah, nuts, some fruit maybe? (those lettuce and chicken wraps sound tasty!) yeah, are fruit sugars and honey ok?

Also, Almond milk is a great substitute for most things. Not so easy in cooking, but great in coffee, etc.

good luck!

I don't necessarily have a snack suggestion, except maybe rice cakes with butter, which is my only snack food recently. Not grain free though....

I did want to suggest that it's possible the issue you're having may not be dairy per se, but it may be the additives to the yogurt. Since I'm sensitive to a lot of additives, the only yogurt I could find without them is plain yogurt, to which I've been adding homemade applesauce. I don't eat it frequently, however, and in order to just test it I had to buy a large container since it's all they had that didn't have the other stuff. The additives I wanted to avoid, in the case of yogurt, is 'natural flavors' and carageenan.

Just so you can be on the look out if or when you re-test dairy after a while.