7 replies to this topic

#1 ndw3363

ndw3363

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

I have been gluten-free for almost two years - great results (my weight is steady, skin cleared up, migraines stopped, gas/bloating stopped, etc). I was still having some symptoms that drove me nuts...brain fog, oily face, dandruff, moody...so I went mostly grain/sugar free as well. That definitely helps - much harder to stick to since I'm a snacker. When I behave myself, I eat eggs for breakfast, protein/veggie for lunch and then larger portion of protein/veggie for dinner. My problem is snacking - I have been very hungry lately and have been getting dizzy and lightheaded (been wondering if I have a blood sugar problem - has always been borderline low since teen years). I've been snacking on cheese as a protein source. However, now my sinuses are acting up, I've had a constant headache for two weeks that sometimes gets unbearable (back of head at the base of skull), and I'm nauseous quite a bit. Don't know what's going on and I'm afraid it's the dairy. I was eating greek yogurt for breakfast again because I got bored with eggs...I've cut that out again, but don't know what to do about snacks. Besides nuts, what can I have that doesn't contain grains/sugar? I don't want to lose dairy forever, so I'm hoping that giving it up for a short time will allow me to keep it in moderation later. Thanks everybody!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

I have been gluten-free for almost two years - great results (my weight is steady, skin cleared up, migraines stopped, gas/bloating stopped, etc). I was still having some symptoms that drove me nuts...brain fog, oily face, dandruff, moody...so I went mostly grain/sugar free as well. That definitely helps - much harder to stick to since I'm a snacker. When I behave myself, I eat eggs for breakfast, protein/veggie for lunch and then larger portion of protein/veggie for dinner. My problem is snacking - I have been very hungry lately and have been getting dizzy and lightheaded (been wondering if I have a blood sugar problem - has always been borderline low since teen years). I've been snacking on cheese as a protein source. However, now my sinuses are acting up, I've had a constant headache for two weeks that sometimes gets unbearable (back of head at the base of skull), and I'm nauseous quite a bit. Don't know what's going on and I'm afraid it's the dairy. I was eating greek yogurt for breakfast again because I got bored with eggs...I've cut that out again, but don't know what to do about snacks. Besides nuts, what can I have that doesn't contain grains/sugar? I don't want to lose dairy forever, so I'm hoping that giving it up for a short time will allow me to keep it in moderation later. Thanks everybody!

I've gotten addicted to the fried peas from nuts.com -- they satisfy my need for a crunchy snack when I'm sick of raw veggies. Fried edamame works along the same lines.

#3 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Hummus, nut butters, tuna salad, chicken salad or lettuce wraps with a couple of slices of ham/turkey or any other lunch meat with roasted red peppers, onions and a little cilantro mayo. Just a few suggestions that I ate when I was doing South beach.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

lettice and peanut butter is one of my favorite snacks :)

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

When you say sugar free - do you eat fruit, agave, honey? There are many Paleo recipes for muffins made with coconut or almond flour. I use bananas, apples or pumpkin in mine with a small amount of agave.

For small snacks I tote along a piece of chicken, hard boiled eggs, banana, apple slices, small container of almond butter, slightly blanched asparagus or carrots (I don't like them raw) or paleo muffins.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Yup, sounds like dairy. I had the same symptoms (sinus and balance issues) and they mostly cleared up after cutting out dairy. For me the problem is casein. I can't eat goat or sheep's milk either.

Non-dairy/grain-free snacks do sound tricky, but yeah, nuts, some fruit maybe? (those lettuce and chicken wraps sound tasty!) yeah, are fruit sugars and honey ok?
Also, Almond milk is a great substitute for most things. Not so easy in cooking, but great in coffee, etc.

good luck!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#7 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

I don't necessarily have a snack suggestion, except maybe rice cakes with butter, which is my only snack food recently. Not grain free though....

I did want to suggest that it's possible the issue you're having may not be dairy per se, but it may be the additives to the yogurt. Since I'm sensitive to a lot of additives, the only yogurt I could find without them is plain yogurt, to which I've been adding homemade applesauce. I don't eat it frequently, however, and in order to just test it I had to buy a large container since it's all they had that didn't have the other stuff. The additives I wanted to avoid, in the case of yogurt, is 'natural flavors' and carageenan.

Just so you can be on the look out if or when you re-test dairy after a while.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Sweet potato chips.
Kale chips.
Almond butter smeared on celery or carrot sticks.

Any number of gluten-free/DF and grain free paleo muffins or other goodies

check Elana Amsterdam's site for snacks/recipes

http://www.elanaspan...recipes/snacks/

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: