Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Reading Labels

6 posts in this topic

Other posts I've read have stated regulations for labeling on US products. I want to be sure I understand correctly. Does EVERY product sold in the US now have to say specifically,"contains wheat" if it does? I've noticed on some labels that after the list of ingredients there is a line that says "contains: eggs, milk, soy, wheat, peanuts", for instance. So whatdo I need to look out for? If wheat is not listed after "contains", do I just check for barley, rye, malt and oats, due to cross contamination?

Ads by Google:

FALCPA applies to most packaged food sold in the US. It requires clear disclosure of eight top allergens, one of which is wheat.

The law can be met either by listing wheat in the ingredients list, or by including a "contains" statement listing wheat. Many companies do both. But if there is no contains statement, you must still read the ingredients completely.

FALCPA does not apply to USDA regulated foods, but USDA regulations require disclosure of any grain added.

Keep in mind that this does not apply to barley, rye or oats. So even if the package has a "contains" statement and does not list wheat, you will still have to read the individual ingredients to rule out other sources of gluten.

FALCPA applies to most packaged food sold in the US. It requires clear disclosure of eight top allergens, one of which is wheat.

The law can be met either by listing wheat in the ingredients list, or by including a "contains" statement listing wheat. Many companies do both. But if there is no contains statement, you must still read the ingredients completely.

FALCPA does not apply to USDA regulated foods, but USDA regulations require disclosure of any grain added.

What USDA regulated foods might contain grain? Enhanced meat?

What USDA regulated foods might contain grain? Enhanced meat?

The USDA regulates meat and poultry. We hear stories here regularly about chicken or turkey being injected with broth, and allegations that the broth contains wheat. I have yet to see a proven case, but if any grain product (including, but not limited to, wheat) were added it would have to be disclosed.

The USDA also regulates eggs.

The USDA regulates meat and poultry. We hear stories here regularly about chicken or turkey being injected with broth, and allegations that the broth contains wheat. I have yet to see a proven case, but if any grain product (including, but not limited to, wheat) were added it would have to be disclosed.

The USDA also regulates eggs.

Thanks for the replies. So I have to keep reading labels closely, but I now have a better idea of how to read themwell.