6 replies to this topic

#1 Googles

Googles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

I just started a new job (YAY!) The thing is that they are expanding into a new unit at my home base work location which means construction is happening as they tear down walls and put up new ones. I feel lucky that I have worked with my supervisor before (at a different place) so she already knows about my celiac and is willing to work around it. I'm wondering how much I need to worry about the plaster dust and dry wall dust in the air at work. I have heard other people talk about sealing up really well and not using central air when they are doing construction in their homes. How much do I need to worry about work? They let me do some of my work from a different location today, but I will need to be back there on Thursday for training. How much should I worry. Is it enough to have a door between where I am and where the construction is going on? If not, what type of things should I do to decrease the chance of getting gluten in me.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

Congratulations on your new job!

I do understand your concern about the gluten in the plaster dust. It is a real concern. I suggest you wear a good dust mask. You probably won't need the heavy duty kind with charcoal filter nozzles--which might cause you some distress if worn all day! If you were in the same room with the construction however the heavy duty mask would be needed--and a shower and change of clothes once you got home.

You might also want to talk to your boss about using an air purifier. They do help reduce the dust.
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'd be careful about not eating my food (even if it's what you brought with you) around the area where there is construction dust.

I was able to tolerate construction dust in our house during remodel (not living in it) if I did NOT eat in there. Dust gets everywhere... you can wash your hands 100 times but it still gets on them, and your utensils, etc.

I also showered and discarded my clothes as soon as I got home.

I did ok if I was careful. Just try to act like it's flu season - don't touch your face, etc. Wash your hands often, wipe down your work area.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Thank you both for those suggestions. I was wondering about the face mask idea. They said that the construction is going to last another week. Hopefully I can spend most of the time at the other location. My boss already knows about my issues, so it wasn't a big deal for her today.

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

Another thought, drink things out of waterbottles or something of that sort to help keep it out.

#6 ncdave

ncdave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

Googles,
Thank You for posting this, i learn something from this forum every day. I read the back of my lightweight sheetrock spackle can, pretty scarey stuff in there. I will be very, very, careful with it!
gluten free 12/11
dairy free 2/12
soy free 10/12
corn free 10/12
nightshade free 10/12

#7 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Another thought, drink things out of waterbottles or something of that sort to help keep it out.

Thanks,
I hadn't even go to the point of when I need to drink. Hopefully since I will only be there a couple hours tomorrow it wont be a problem. I hope they can keep me out of the office til they are done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: