arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Else Have Severe Pain For Several Days After Taking Imodium?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

Does anything else work more gently than imodium you'd suggest I try. Something that returns you to normal more quickly. After I get unplugged, I often get the runs again and have to take another imodium to drive and get in this cycle. Could I be sensitive to dairy and soy milk? Yogert seems to due me in these days. Would that make any sense, but I'm ok with cheese and tofu. I'm so confused. :( I'd love your thought on how to get out of this cycle and what to try.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

You can try peppermint tea or Altoids peppermints. Peppermint relaxes the digestive muscles like Imodium does. It may not be as strong an affect tho.

If you are concerned about soy and dairy the simplest thing to do is to eliminate them for a month. Then re-introduce one at a time for a week and monitor the reactions.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#3 Lady Sky

Lady Sky

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Does anything else work more gently than imodium you'd suggest I try. Something that returns you to normal more quickly. After I get unplugged, I often get the runs again and have to take another imodium to drive and get in this cycle. Could I be sensitive to dairy and soy milk? Yogert seems to due me in these days. Would that make any sense, but I'm ok with cheese and tofu. I'm so confused. :( I'd love your thought on how to get out of this cycle and what to try.

I cannot eat ANY dairy...soy does not give me the runs. Dairy is so bad it takes many many immodiums to get back to normal. Please be careful about altoids and peppermint teas..they can contain gluten.

I know when I am having a bad intestine day....a good day is one immodium in the morning...a bad one is up to eight....

I would ditch any and all dairy.....then see how you feel.

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:51 AM

Are you taking the brand name? I ask because I had been using the Kirkland brand from Costco and it didn't seem to be effective. Then I read somewhere (was it here?) that it contained dairy. And indeed it does! I had to switch to another brand.

I can not have peppermint because I am intolerant to it. But a nurse suggested to me that I try weak black tea. That does seem to help. As does eating white rice and plain applesauce.

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

I cannot eat ANY dairy...soy does not give me the runs. Dairy is so bad it takes many many immodiums to get back to normal. Please be careful about altoids and peppermint teas..they can contain gluten.

I know when I am having a bad intestine day....a good day is one immodium in the morning...a bad one is up to eight....

I would ditch any and all dairy.....then see how you feel.

Hi,

Altoids peppermint do not contain gluten in the USA at least. There may be other brands that do, I am not sure about that. But the Altoids brand is ok in the USA. It is always good to check the ingredients on any item tho, as they can change over time or be different in other countries.

Teas can indeed contain gluten. But I haven't seen one in the USA where the ingredients were not declared. So it is the same drill, always check the ingredients on the actual package you are picking up off the shelf. Usually it is barley that they put in teas, which is bad for us. Or the label might say malt instead of barley, but it is the same thing. Gluten. The ones I have seen with barley are usually Chai type teas, with sweetners and flavor combinations. Those flavored teas often have soy in them also. Heck, I found a tea with pro-biotics in it.

Altoids Peppermint ingredients

NGREDIENTS:SUGAR, GUM ARABIC, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, GELATIN, CORN SYRUP, NATURAL FLAVOR, RED 40.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: