7 replies to this topic

#1 KMMO320

KMMO320

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

I went and bought some today because I was craving biscuits. I was so excited when I made them, they came out looking beautiful!!!!

Of course, like all gluten-free foods, when I picked one up, it crumbled in my hand, and when I put it in my mouth it immediatley dissolved and felt and tasted like paste :(

Anyone know any tricks to make it better?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

I take it you haven't been gluten free for long?

There are some videos you can find on youtube. There is one for a replacement for the redlobster chedder bisciuts.

I will say it can be a bit tempermental. I normally use it for pancakes (those come out pretty good). I have used it for a pizza crust once. It crumbled but didn't taste like paste. It does not like overmixing at all.

Another idea is to season it.

#3 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

I take it you haven't been gluten free for long?

There are some videos you can find on youtube. There is one for a replacement for the redlobster chedder bisciuts.

I will say it can be a bit tempermental. I normally use it for pancakes (those come out pretty good). I have used it for a pizza crust once. It crumbled but didn't taste like paste. It does not like overmixing at all.

Another idea is to season it.

lol Thanks, and no, I had been gluten-free off an on for the last 4 months, but finally buckled down and I have been totally gluten-free for about 3 weeks now. I dont really rely on products like this, but sometimes I just really crave it. Sigh. I do really like Udis white bread and double chocolate muffins, so at least I have something. I need to learn how to bake my own things. My neice is gluten-free and bakes a lot but she is good at it and loves to experiment. Not me, I am really impatient. lol

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Ah well, another idea would be to brush it with a bit of butter for flavoring. THe thing with these mixes is that sometimes their good and sometimes you wonder what they were thinking.

About that pizza crust i made, it was... okay... but somewhat dry. Not what i was hoping for. :)

#5 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

If you can do dairy and egg, I would suggest you try the Chebe mixes, and make those little Brazilian cheese biscuits. I will put just a little bit of other savory gluten free flour in the batch, (almond, buckwheat, amaranth types of higher protein flours) along with a bit of extra oil and either egg or yogurt, and this makes it even better.

The problem with gluten-free bisquick is it's rice, and rice is crumbly.

#6 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

If you can do dairy and egg, I would suggest you try the Chebe mixes, and make those little Brazilian cheese biscuits. I will put just a little bit of other savory gluten free flour in the batch, (almond, buckwheat, amaranth types of higher protein flours) along with a bit of extra oil and either egg or yogurt, and this makes it even better.

The problem with gluten-free bisquick is it's rice, and rice is crumbly.

Thanks! I have been hearing a lot about Almond flour, I havent seen it at my stores so I wonder where to find it? Whole Foods. maybe?

#7 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Only things I make with the gluten-free bisquick is the sausage balls and the spinach balls. Made the gluten-free version of the sausage balls and no one in the family noticed a difference. Had to tweet the recipe a bit because they came out much drier than the original if I followed the directions to a T (I will use 3/4 cup bisquick per pound of sausage instead of a full cup). Spinach balls are delicious! Got the recipe off their website - I use Monterrey Jack cheese instead of Mozzerella (or however you spell that dumb word :) ) bc I like the taste better. One of these days, I want to make those garlic cheddar biscuits...but not until I tolerate carbs better.

#8 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

I have made the pizza recipe added bacon bits(hormel or Oscar meyer), cheese and fresh chopped chives. I bake it in an 8x8 pan. My kids (gluten eaters)love it. Bake as instructed..cool and cut into squares.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: