40 replies to this topic

#1 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

Starting about 4 - 5 years ago I started to avoid food because of the pain it brought. My eating habits led to eating about once or twice a day. Post dx as of February, I have not been able to correct my food intake. I eat once a day and a very small amount. Even though food does not cause pain anymore, I have no appetite and avoid eating.

Fast forward to this past Monday. I finally talked to my therapist about this and as I suspected, it is psychological. I equation food with pain and it is classic avoidance.

Her advice is to think of food as medicine. Although I agree this is very good advice, I really hate having to take my medications also.

I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions on how to overcome this. Knowing the problem has not been able to make me change this avoidance to food.

I am getting more and more desperate to resolve this as I continue to have health problems. I am now dealing with cancer and afraid that my immune system is failing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Colleen.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

cockroach-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Starting about 4 - 5 years ago I started to avoid food because of the pain it brought. My eating habits led to eating about once or twice a day. Post dx as of February, I have not been able to correct my food intake. I eat once a day and a very small amount. Even though food does not cause pain anymore, I have no appetite and avoid eating.

Fast forward to this past Monday. I finally talked to my therapist about this and as I suspected, it is psychological. I equation food with pain and it is classic avoidance.

Her advice is to think of food as medicine. Although I agree this is very good advice, I really hate having to take my medications also.

I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions on how to overcome this. Knowing the problem has not been able to make me change this avoidance to food.

I am getting more and more desperate to resolve this as I continue to have health problems. I am now dealing with cancer and afraid that my immune system is failing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Colleen.

Colleen...I am not an overly mushy person but I wish I could just descend and give you a big, fat hug!!!!!! My heart goes out to you, having to deal with this and now cancer? :o

Are you continuing to not eat well because of depression that you may have from trying to deal with all this? I understand the eat=pain thing because I did the same thing for years only not badly enough that I headed to an eating disorder. I totally get that, though. What foods do you like to eat? I can only suggest that you start small and try to eat good food every couple of hours....just little amounts to stir up your metabolism and appetite. Maybe a good protein shake with added ice cream or whatever will agree with you? Can you do dairy? I find that drinking calories is easier and you can make a shake very calorie dense. Do you view drink the same as food?

I am so deeply sorry you are having to deal with this. I hope we can all be of help to you, in any way we can!

OK...after posting I see that you are dairy free this year. Almond milk is great in shakes...adds a lot of flavor.

Did you know that melanoma is one of those cancers that Celiacs seem to be prone to? That was in Peter Green's book. You have to put your fighting gloves on now so that means good nutrition. Would thinking of that help you to become focused on eating better? I apologize if I sound stupid but I want you to fight back and get better! :)

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

Oh you poor dear, that must be awful. Trying to think of ideas for you...

Do you think if you set out a specific (and reasonable) amount of food each day, say a Kind Bar, a small bag of nuts, a cookie, an apple -- things that you would normally like to eat -- and tell yourself that these must be consumed by the end of the day, that would help?? Leave them some place where you would walk by them and be reminded of the need to eat. Put a picture of a really scrawny person and a normal size person on the refrigerator door??? :) Just thoughts.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,695 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

So sorry you are having to go through so much.
I have the food aversion thing also. I usually eat just once a day. I call it Pavlov's dog in reverse.
I was able to reverse things a bit when I was finishing up school but have since backslid. :ph34r:
What I did that worked was what was suggested by the other poster. I ate very small amounts of foods I knew I tolerated. At first it was an accomplishment to eat a single strawberry and leave the house but eventually I worked up to eating an actual lunch. So try small amounts of food you know is safe for you like cut up fruit or veggies, a half a sandwich, a cup of soup etc. You need the best nutrition you can get to fight the fight you have to fight right now.
I am sure others will be on to give you some good tips also.
Sending postive thoughts your way.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

I have a fear of food related allergies... so yeah, i understand fully.

#6 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Think of it as routine maintenance, like gassing up the car and changing the oil and filling the windshield wiper fluid. No fuel, no go.

I decided to do 2 outdoor activities early in the morning in the past month, which were going to cause me to exert myself. Because I also am not carbohydrate or sugar tolerant, this meant I had to eat early, eat very carefully, really hydrate myself up with liquids also, and then be careful to take along safe recovery snacks if I needed them. Getting up before dawn I'm used to, but eating enough food to last me until noon was just plain obnoxious. My gut needed to be in perfect function, which meant I had to then eat all this nutritious crap extra slowly. So I made a vegetable smoothie with some banana, and made myself drink it. I ended up doing some of the protein as I drove to the venues. But I pulled it off. Other people just get up and eat some cereal and grab some electrolytes. LOL. :P

Although it was funny, when one of the other participants came in, having done a much longer distance at a much faster pace (she won her category) she was standing, bent over the recording desk at the finish line, and the record keeper tried to say, helpfully, "over there on the table is a lot of great food we have for you to eat, and you can get something to drink" (they had this really nice recovery table loaded with fresh fruit, doughnuts, and bagels and all sorts of sports beverages, sodas, and water) but "oh, no, I think I'm going to throw up" was the reply.... :blink:

If you can exercise at all, you might try getting out and going for a walk. Initially, exercising will act a bit like an appetite suppressant, but then once your body gets used to it, you will get pretty hungry a few hours afterwards. If you eat when you're hungry, you reward yourself, so you can re- wire some of your reactions that way.

#7 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

I don't have the same fear with liquids. For instance, my kitchen is the center of our condo, I pass one of the counters all day long. I put our fresh fruit there. So, I will get a bit jittery and know I need a bite. I will go up to the banana, know I need to eat it, even reach for it then bam, I grab a soda from the fridge instead.

My usual go to snacks are raisins, sunflower seeds and applesauce. That equates to a meal in my brain. My Hubs has started to shove a scrambled egg in my lap in the morning. If I do eat it, that is my meal for the day.

My depression and anxiety, well the depression has been stable with med management. The anxiety is over the top, I take ativan daily but does not even touch it.

I do enjoy juicing and I have a protein powder mix. Problem is my brain thinks, it's too much trouble, just grab a soda.

My fallback meal is a spinach salad with egg, sunflower seeds and cheese with dressing, I am doing good with dairy now. I experience the same aversion but it's my favorite food and if I'm starving I will eventually eat one, maybe 2 times a week.

I do take a vitamin, probiotics, fish oil, papyra enzymes, along with my meds.

I am just so frustrated.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

#8 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Perhaps a ban on sodas??? Some small juice boxes instead? That way there is no fallback position - i.e., you have to get nutrition :D I do admit I have never been afraid of food (except when I see the dreadful IHOP commercials on TV :ph34r: -- those churn my stomach) so I cannot speak to the place where you are coming from. But it seems to me so long as you give yourself a way out you will take it instead of facing the dreaded food.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#9 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Colleen, it looks like lots of people need hugs today. I'm sending you one.

What about smoothies? It sounds like you have a good DH. He could make it and stick it in the fridge and you could sip a bit here and there.

Recipe - 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup mango, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup yogurt or almond milk or soy milk or sorbet (any flavor but mango would be good). I use frozen strawberries and mango chunks from Trader Joes. There are a lot of other recepies out there or maybe others could suggest.

You could also add protein powder to almond milk or just with water.

You could also try premade smoothies (Odwalla, Jamba Juice) or yoplait I think has one. Sometimes they are sold in the frozen food section.

Have you tried broth-based soups? Home-made are pretty easy. Boil chicken breast in chicken broth/stock until cooked, remove chicken to cool while adding rice to broth. Shred chicken and add to rice. Yum.

Have you tried hypnosis or a relaxation dvd?

Hang in there!
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#10 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Colleen, it looks like lots of people need hugs today. I'm sending you one.

What about smoothies? It sounds like you have a good DH. He could make it and stick it in the fridge and you could sip a bit here and there.

Recipe - 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup mango, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup yogurt or almond milk or soy milk or sorbet (any flavor but mango would be good). I use frozen strawberries and mango chunks from Trader Joes. There are a lot of other recepies out there or maybe others could suggest.

You could also add protein powder to almond milk or just with water.

You could also try premade smoothies (Odwalla, Jamba Juice) or yoplait I think has one. Sometimes they are sold in the frozen food section.

Have you tried broth-based soups? Home-made are pretty easy. Boil chicken breast in chicken broth/stock until cooked, remove chicken to cool while adding rice to broth. Shred chicken and add to rice. Yum.

Have you tried hypnosis or a relaxation dvd?

Hang in there!

Hi CyberProf,

Smoothies, this actually sounds doable to me. Hubs could whip up a batch in the morning. I'm assuming it would last all day. Would it keep overnight? And what about adding the protein powder to the smoothie instead?

I will definitely talk to hubs about this.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

#11 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Perhaps a ban on sodas??? Some small juice boxes instead? That way there is no fallback position - i.e., you have to get nutrition :D I do admit I have never been afraid of food (except when I see the dreadful IHOP commercials on TV :ph34r: -- those churn my stomach) so I cannot speak to the place where you are coming from. But it seems to me so long as you give yourself a way out you will take it instead of facing the dreaded food.

Mushroom, I am so with you on IHOP, hurling. Juice is still tough on me so I kinda, maybe alot, stay away. Ban my sodas? I would certainly die on the spot :D

On the plus side, I have a water bottle in my hand at all times and I do enjoy tea occasionally.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

#12 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hi CyberProf,

Smoothies, this actually sounds doable to me. Hubs could whip up a batch in the morning. I'm assuming it would last all day. Would it keep overnight? And what about adding the protein powder to the smoothie instead?

I will definitely talk to hubs about this.

I think the smoothie would taste good all day - you might have to stir it. You could try it but after 12 hours it might not taste as good. It wouldn't go bad if it was kept in the fridge. I keep mine in an insulated mug with a straw.

And yes, I've added protein powder to smoothies no problem.

Hope it works - good luck and let us know.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#13 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Something i learned while i was in theraphy when i was younger was to analyze why i stress out over things.

First look at the item (or event or whathaveyou).

Food.

Define it.

Something good for the body.

Do i need to do it (eat it, smash it, what have you it)

yes

Why am i anxious or stressed about it

I am afriad that i will have an allergic reaction or it will cause me pain.

Put it in a positive light with coping thoughts

I have had these things before and i KNOW they will not hurt me

Even though this does help, i still do stupid things (like placing peanutbutter on the back of my hand to make sure it won't cause a reaction, or watch the clock after i ate something).

My doctors know about it and just tell me to try to eat. So thats part of the reason why i eat similar things for lunch and dinner.

Oh and this same fear goes for medications as well.

#14 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:36 AM

If smoothies work, how about pureed vegetable soups? They can be more like a liquid than a solid. You could drink them from a cup. You can get your nutrition from fruit smoothies and vegetable soups to start with. Meanwhile you can work on adding small amounts of more solid food, and work your way up. I wish you well.

#15 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

Tip for the smoothies? Try picking up a small blender that's designed for single servings, and the blender jar comes off the stand for you to drink out of. There are some very decent ones out there for a good price, they're not too loud, and they can make it fun to make a smoothie. The pitcher is easy to clean and can go right in the fridge. There are piles of food blogs and threads here on c.com about smoothie ideas. And YES put that protein powder in there! Great idea!

I have not had this issue ever (I have always suffered from extreme, debilitating, FEED ME hunger) but I wish I could come and hug you all up.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: