40 replies to this topic

#16 SMDBill

SMDBill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

Although new to celiac for the last 6 weeks, I was not eating in the beginning. I couldn't find things to satisfy me so I ended up, without consciously doing it, eating far less than I should. I quickly turned that around by something I read online. It described the condition of fearing food and equating food to fuel. Without that fuel we'll worsen our condition and we won't have the energy to enjoy life. I refused to give up just because my food choices changed so I adjusted to more fruits and other foods naturally free of gluten. I eat all day, but it's nuts, fruit and other things. I don't eat a daytime meal until dinner, but I refuse to stop eating. I keep putting small amounts of fuel in my body to give it the energy to fight this nasty disease. Without that energy, the disease wins.

I'm sure it's difficult to change your personal perception, especially when the driver is psychological. I get those jolts of fear around different situations, especially eating out. In the end, I refuse to lose and I just try to make the best choice I can in the situation I'm in, but it always includes eating something (even if I have to stop somewhere different after I leave the situation just to make sure I eat).

Your body is a furnace and it produces heat. You can't make heat without fuel and food is that fuel. The vitamins and other supplements are also fuel you're not getting completely from food. It's all important and you win the battle when you take in enough fuel to make it through the day. If you burn what goes in, nothing is wasted and no weight is gained...and you win! Your body is the only one you have...denying the body of energy will only make things worse and deteriorate muscle, teeth, hair, energy, bones, etc. It's important and I hope you can work through it with your therapist to get on the road to the best health possible, even if it's tough and trust is hard to give at meal time. I just hope you don't let the disease and your mind be overcome by those scary choices you're forced to make each day.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

Sweetie,

In addition to all the good advice you have received, you know I am sending you all positive thoughts for recovery from your surgery.

I give you ((cyber hugs)) all the time, but now I am going to go all "mother hen" on you.

Eat. Please eat. Drink protein smoothies, too.

You simply cannot get the muscle pain you have under control or have the anxiety and depression resolve or have the strength to fight cancer if your body is not nourished, honey. Sugary sodas have no nutritional value. And they may be fueling your agitation. Supplements are not going to give you enough energy for your body to heal.

I had the same temporary food aversion when I was very ill and even for a few months post-DX. My GI tract was in flames and I was afraid of food hurting me or coming out in some unpleasant way.

But I knew if I did not eat, I would not get out of pain and reverse the damage done to my muscles.

Try a fruit smoothie with chopped, frozen kale thrown in for breakfast. Almond milk or So Delicious Coconut milk is great tasting and has calcium.

Set a timer for 3 hours, then try something else. Peanut or almond butter on an apple maybe. You need protein.

Set a timer for 3 hours, have some soup maybe.

And do this all day long until you come to see that food is not your enemy, rather it is your ticket to recovery. You need food to get well. It's just that simple.

You can do this!
xxoo

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

IH,

The timer idea is great especially since I already have my phone reminder set for four times a day for meds. And yes, throw the kale in the smoothie.

Hubs is going to make me a big pot of the chicken and rice soup. I can freeze servings and pop it the microwave. What type of rice? Minute rice or a different rice.

Good news is I grabbed a banana off the counter this morning. I sat with it in my hand or on my lap while drinking coffee. Took about a half hour but I managed to eat half. Small victory but ill take what I can get.

I'm gonna leave my container of sunflower seeds and raisins on the counter, eventho I HATE a cluttered counter. That reminds me. I have a butternut squash siting on the counter also. Just don't know what to do with. I would like to make a soup out of it, just don't know how.

I feel like I'm climbing a mountain with all these issues and since it is snow covered, I keep falling to the bottom. I often wonder if maybe this is how it will be till I die. I'm not sure anymore if it's worth it

On a funny note. I asked my psych doc if maybe since my first round of ECT's took out have my memory, if a second round would erase the food issue too. He just looked at me. No expression, then continued to wright scripts. I was laughing and laughing.

Hubs will be stuffing me and my leg into the golf cart this afternoon so I can get out and enjoy the nice weather.

All the hugs and good wishes bring me to tears. I am sending hugs and good wishes right back to all of you

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

We're here for you baby!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#20 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

We're here for you baby!

Thanks Bunny, I have a feeling I am going to need more help along to road.

Thanks again

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

I said tearfully, aloud and often to hubs before DX: "I just can't be this way for the rest of my life! I can't!" I changed it around. You can, too. You know my story. I could not eat or lift a soup can or even walk much. I lived in hell.

If you give in to that negative mentality, you surely will be "this way for the rest of your life".

Come on now, sweets, smear peanut butter on the other half of that banana before you go out. You need protein, Colleen. No soda.

water, water, water!!

See my pom-poms? I am rooting for you. :)

Let's go, kiddo.... eat, get in the cart and get some fresh air.

Loving hugs to you.

Later, here's what to do with that squash

http://www.cookingli...00400000055219/

And to answer your question, use whatever rice you have. Just eat.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#22 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

mY mom has a problem eating. A dietician said that when you haven't eaten much for awhile, you loose your hungry feeling and foods don't always taste good. Not eating enough leads to a depression, too. Big explanation of why but to get a normal appetite back you have to force yourself to eat.

You need to eat lots of protein. You need to eat a 2 bite snack every hour as well as scheduled meals. The 2 bite snack can be most anything, even candy but it should have about 100 calories. If it has protein, even better. So 2 crackers with PB, almond buuter or cheese. A whole banana. Make a batch of smoothies and portion some into cups and put in the freezer for later. Add hidden calories to things - a sprinkle of olive oil or butter on veggies, full fat salad dressing or hummus to dip carrots. You can eat 2 strawberries but they should be dipped in chocolate syrup. A pudding cup. Ice cream. Add protein powder to the salad dressing, cereal milk, smoothie, any milk product you like to drink. My neighbor adds chocolate protein powder to her coffee.

The main thing is, you will have to want to do this and make yourself do it.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#23 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

gluten-free Lover,

My thoughts are with you more than you know...I too (and many others on this wonderful forum) have fears about eating. For me, I know that it took my hubby putting food in front of me for awhile to eat :( Sad but true. I still get "scared" to eat sometimes.

You have alrady gotten some *great* advice--So I'll just share some thoughts :P

The one thing I did was make a "safe list" for me...The foods that I was "sure" I could eat and not have a physical reaction to them. You mention some positive things you are doing! Keep the positive things going! :)

Soda does give you calories. Unfortunately, soda does not give you nutrition. That is what food is to our bodies--the "gas" that runs our bodies. Without nutrition, we run out of thinking power, get depressed, irritable, jittery, and *many more things*... For me, I think of food as nutrition. (I do not like meds either, but accept them when needed). The thing with food, is it is not a medication that you can "quit taking". We need nutrition every day--several times a day.

Nutrition means we must eat. It is What we eat that we can control! With that control, we can choose healthy foods, and more foods a bit at a time slowly but surely. Fear is our biggest enemy. It makes us feel weak, powerless, and helpless. Eat bites often--of the food that is safe for your body! :D Often, Often, Often!!! :) Sips of the smoothies. And scrambled eggs are wonderful and full of protein!

I too, want to give you a big hug...and encourage you to keep talking here. And, yes, keep tastes of nutrition around you! :D

I have found more support here than I can imagine!
Welcome to this amazing forum! :D

#24 DavinaRN

DavinaRN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:52 AM

First let me say, I'm so sorry for what you are going thru. Our minds work in funny ways. I'll tell you how I overcame my challenge back when i was a teenager.

When I was anorexic (many many yrs ago), it was a control thing. I COULD control how much food I didn't eat, even if I couldn't control other things. To overcome this I made eating calories a control. I.E. I COULD eat 500 calories a day, the invisible force wouldn't win, I would because I would learn to eat enough, 100 calories at a time.

My issue was all about control, not being scared of food. But in truth yours could be to if you think of it as your going to let the fear and cancer win.
Gluten Free since October 2012
Negative blood work, positive dietary response
Endocrinologist offered referral to GI if I needed formal diagnosis to follow the diet, otherwise just pass on wheat, barley & rye
and save my money

#25 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

First let me say, I'm so sorry for what you are going thru. Our minds work in funny ways. I'll tell you how I overcame my challenge back when i was a teenager.

When I was anorexic (many many yrs ago), it was a control thing. I COULD control how much food I didn't eat, even if I couldn't control other things. To overcome this I made eating calories a control. I.E. I COULD eat 500 calories a day, the invisible force wouldn't win, I would because I would learn to eat enough, 100 calories at a time.

My issue was all about control, not being scared of food. But in truth yours could be to if you think of it as your going to let the fear and cancer win.

That's interesting. My therapist said I was controlling this because everything else was out of my control.

So then you gave yourself a max you had to eat and that would put you back in control because the disease doesn't get what it wants either, correct?

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

#26 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

I've gone through a minor form of this - mostly post-glutening - where I just don't want to eat anything for a few weeks and it's all I can do to eat a meal or a few snacks a day. It's not the same level as what your experiencing, but I can sympathize with what you're going through. If you have less of a problem with liquids, I'd recommend smoothies and maybe broths or more drinkable liquid soups - like tomato or pureed squash - as many have done above.

I also have a more unorthodox suggestion - I have no idea what state you live in or what your views are on the matter - but, if it's an option where you live, you might want to consider talking to your doc about medical marijuana. I make the suggestion because it can increase appetite and lower anxiety levels. It did wonders for a friend of mine who had lost her appetite and was suffering nausea due to chemotherapy - and also had the side benefit of helping her deal better with her cancer diagnoses.

#27 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

I can see that. At my worst i would only eat chex, apples with peanutbuter, a veggie of some sort, and chicken broth cooked rice. :( Its not fun. I slowly expanded outward. Now my diet has a bit more variety i think :)

#28 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

I've gone through a minor form of this - mostly post-glutening - where I just don't want to eat anything for a few weeks and it's all I can do to eat a meal or a few snacks a day. It's not the same level as what your experiencing, but I can sympathize with what you're going through. If you have less of a problem with liquids, I'd recommend smoothies and maybe broths or more drinkable liquid soups - like tomato or pureed squash - as many have done above.

I also have a more unorthodox suggestion - I have no idea what state you live in or what your views are on the matter - but, if it's an option where you live, you might want to consider talking to your doc about medical marijuana. I make the suggestion because it can increase appetite and lower anxiety levels. It did wonders for a friend of mine who had lost her appetite and was suffering nausea due to chemotherapy - and also had the side benefit of helping her deal better with her cancer diagnoses.

I second this suggestion whole-heartedly. Of course, I would NEVER suggest that someone do something ILLEGAL...... not me, no sir. But weed works, baby. Makes you hungry and you don't have anxiety about eating either. Just have food ready beforehand that's safe.

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

I second this suggestion whole-heartedly. Of course, I would NEVER suggest that someone do something ILLEGAL...... not me, no sir. But weed works, baby. Makes you hungry and you don't have anxiety about eating either. Just have food ready beforehand that's safe.

I was thinking along the same lines. Chemo patients benefit from medicinal marijuana, however, some people get more depressed and anxious from it.

Proceed with caution.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

I was thinking along the same lines. Chemo patients benefit from medicinal marijuana, however, some people get more depressed and anxious from it.

Proceed with caution.

^ She has a point. (She usually does....)

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: