This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Changed Color?

Krystal K.

Krystal K. Rookie

Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone of you have experienced this before...I've been gluten free for almost a year and just recently noticed my hair growing in a different color...I have Dark brown hair, and the past weeks I kept thinking my hair was greying (im 25 year old female) ...and now that it is a little longer I can see it is not grey but blonde I pulled one piece out to really try and see the difference between my ends and my roots and it has a slight red tone to it... no swimming in pools, same shampoo and conditioner, I don't use dyes..is this something that happens with celiacs? Not sure if its norm. or something I have to get checked out.

Krystal

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I used to have really thin flat hair. My hair had been wavy since high school, but is going back to flat. I have noticed a color change, but I think mine is gray. Maybe I will find out different one day. Still, it is thicker, smoother, less tangly then ever.

Krystal K. Rookie

mine used to fall out a lot ..i was told that was due to malnutrition and that has been a lot better! it just seems strange I tried to read about it online and people say mostly if you are pregnant it can change..so now im thinking maybe its hormonal and not so much celiac...but then I go back to remembering that my cycle was off before and just regulating this past year so maybe hormones are finally evening out..ugh its not a huge deal but if I start having reddish-blonde light hair instead of my dark brown its kinda freaky and proly end up seeing a dr. anyways

mommida Enthusiast

Vitamin defiency (B12) may be a cause of premature greying.

Your diagnoses and healing may have saved you from premature greying. Do you have any idea of when your family members went grey? (if ever).

Invictus Newbie

Krystal K. --

As unsupportive the following statement may seem - It's refreshing to hear of someone battling the same issues; mainly due to the fact that I can relate to you.

I am 29 years old and have been dealing with hair color change - as one of the myriad of celiac symptoms. I noticed a change in the tint of my facial hair color 5 years ago. I have dark brown hair normally however one day I

Invictus Newbie

noticed my hair having and orangish-redish tint to it - mainly in the sunlight. Over the course of a few years, my hair has become a brighter orange-red color. Initially, I attributed this to my minuscule amount of Scottish ancestry.

My hair has also been falling out; my nicely manscaped chesthair was turning grey at the tips. :/ No bueno

Archived