#1 Zakc

Zakc

New Community Member

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Hey Guys,

I have just recently been diagnosed with celiac and have now been gluten free for two and a half weeks, first week and a half was really good, lost 2kgs and started to look a fair bit leaner almost straight away, but this last week I have been riding the roller coaster of energy highs and lows but I haven't really changed anything I have been eating compared to my first week.
I train as a rower and I currently am doing around 12-13 training sessions per week.
are there any tips from anyone out there on how to manage my energy better or is this just a part of the diet change over?
also can I expect to be able to gain a bit more muscle as I have never in my life found it possible to make decent muscle gains from the work I do.

Cheers

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

I'd say yes and yes :) I had a very similar experience: two weeks of feeling amazing, followed by a bit of a roller-coaster before things leveled out. The body goes through a process of adjusting to the new diet, but things will improve and stay improved if you stick to the diet. I also gained a good 10-15 lbs of muscle from working out in the first two years, after a life time of playing sports and working out with little results. Hang in there, it definitely gets better!

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#3 Zakc

Zakc

New Community Member

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

good to know that it isn't just all in my head!
how long did it take for you to adjust??

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Welcome Zak!

I agree with Jillian.

Just wanted to add it can help during your transition to eat more often - smaller meals and healthy snacks rather than three large meals.

Chocolate milk or protein shakes after workouts can help your muscles recover :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 swimmer2012

swimmer2012

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hey Guys,

I have just recently been diagnosed with celiac and have now been gluten free for two and a half weeks, first week and a half was really good, lost 2kgs and started to look a fair bit leaner almost straight away, but this last week I have been riding the roller coaster of energy highs and lows but I haven't really changed anything I have been eating compared to my first week.
I train as a rower and I currently am doing around 12-13 training sessions per week.
are there any tips from anyone out there on how to manage my energy better or is this just a part of the diet change over?
also can I expect to be able to gain a bit more muscle as I have never in my life found it possible to make decent muscle gains from the work I do.

Cheers

Hey!

I'm a swimmer and train 6 days a week. When I went gluten free, I was about 2 months out from a big meet. Because of the dietary restrictions, and my inability at the time to find enough of a variety of foods to eat, I did feel like I was eating the same things all the time and my energy levels dropped initially. I would say that for training, it took a good 6 months before I started feeling stronger. I definitely felt "better" in the sense that I had no more digestive issues. Evening workouts were really tough for me, and morning ones the easiest to handle (energy-wise). I think it takes your body quite a while to adapt to the dietary change especially with a high training volume. I lost about 2 pounds a week for a few months... But I also cut out all processed foods and am now eating a paleo diet. 8 months of gluten-free living and training and I think I am completely adapted now. I eat a lot more naturally high-fat foods (avocado, salmon, nuts) but very little sugar outside of fruits and vegetables (1 cube of sugar in my tea in the morning). I struggled at first to get enough calories and early on, resorted to eating plain potatoe chips (I think I was craving calories and salt), but I make sure I add some salt to my otherwise naturally low-sodium diet. Drinking enough water helps make sure your low energy levels are not due to dehydration...

I could go on and on... I think I am close to finding the right formula that works for me (nutrition-wise). Hope this helps...

#6 M-Rods

M-Rods

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

I am completely exhausted by evening to train, I may have to try lifting in the AM to see if I can get it done, I've been tracking my nutrition using fitday and am having a hard time getting enough calories in now being 3 weeks into gluten free.
Diagnosed Celiac Oct 26, 2012
Gluten free since Oct 29, 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: