Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

New Here With A 13 Year Old

• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

#16 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

HI,

It won't be pleasant for him to do a gluten challenge later for testing. The gluten challenge is often a very painful process for celiacs and can last up to 3 months. Some people start and quit because they can't stand the symptoms. Reactions tend to get stronger after gluten is removed from the diet. That's why we suggest doing the ftesting now rather than later. Doing it later is not going to fun.

If you search on "celiac related condition" you can find lists of diseases that people with celiac have a higher chance of getting. It sounds like you have already identified several other autoimmune diseases in your family. That makes sense as it is an inherited condition. Getting celiac testing done for all the immediate family is not a bad idea. Celiac can appear at any time of ilfe, it is not limited to children.

He may do better with digestive enzymes and pro-biotics at first. Celiac damamges the small intestine and that causes malabsorption. So anything you can do to help with digestion is good. Vitamins are ok but check them for gluten.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 cyberprof

cyberprof

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Should I be concerned that Vitamin A would start him into puberty before a catch up spurt even if he's not 110 pounds? Maybe a good question for his doctor?

glutenfreex4, The way I understand it is that puberty doesn't have to occur for the growth window to close, but yes ask your doc. You might also ask for a bone-age scan too. It's a 5-second x-ray scan and tells bone-age in years. If his age is higher than the bone age, he likely has time to grow.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#18 GlutenFreex4

GlutenFreex4

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

You guys are wealth of information! Thank you again for taking the time to help guide me. I wasn't able to get ahold of the doctor to request the blood test over the weekend as the office was closed. Will call this morning. And I will also request the Xray for the bone age. Will let you know how things progress.

#19 bbuster

bbuster

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

One of my son's favourite desserts is carrot cake and I was lamenting just yesterday that I may not be able to bake it for him again -- at least not the recipe I have. I would love yours! Additionally, the three meals you mentioned him enjoying would all appeal to my son. I think I can figure the pot roast and mashed potatoes out myself :P So, I would love those recipes! Thank you for the offer.

Gluten-free carrot cake is pretty easy. I make it by substituting gluten-free flour (usually 1/2 sorghum, 1/4 white or brown rice, and 1/4 tapioca or potato starch) plus about 1 tsp Xanthan gum per cup flour. Another tip is either bake extra layers (like a recipe that you would normally bake as 2 layers, split into 3) or else bake as cupcakes. They won't rise as much as regular cakes, so baking smaller quantities will help you get it fully cooked through.
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

#20 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Gluten-free carrot cake is pretty easy. I make it by substituting gluten-free flour (usually 1/2 sorghum, 1/4 white or brown rice, and 1/4 tapioca or potato starch) plus about 1 tsp Xanthan gum per cup flour. Another tip is either bake extra layers (like a recipe that you would normally bake as 2 layers, split into 3) or else bake as cupcakes. They won't rise as much as regular cakes, so baking smaller quantities will help you get it fully cooked through.

I bake carrot cake in a bundt pan and it comes out perfect.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009