Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Else Have A Problem With Dry , Blistering Lips?

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 TGK112

TGK112

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Before I was diagnosed, I kept getting blisters on my lips. I thought that maybe the sun was having some weird effect. Once I was diagnosed, I realized that my lipstick was probably the culprit. I threw away all of my lipstick - but am still bothered with dry and sometimes blistering lips. I'm coming up on 2 months gluten free. Since I had no "classic" symptoms before diagnosis, I have no idea how well I am following the diet. I finally, just today, replaced my face moisturizer. Anyone else with lip problems??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

blisters sound more reminesent of an allergy.

Before my diet change, however, i used to get major cracked lips. I still do, on occasion, but not to the degree that i did before. I have never put anything on them.

#3 tripfecta

tripfecta

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

I didn't really have blistering lips, but they were always chapped. Then I developed a rash at the corners of my mouth. I was told this was caused by a Vit b deficiency. Since going gluten-free (and adding a B Complex supplement) my lip problems have gone away. Before I was constantly applying Chapstick, now I occasionally use Vaseline, but that's it. I do noticed if I'm glutened my rash on the corners of my mouth comes back.

#4 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Before I was diagnosed, I kept getting blisters on my lips. I thought that maybe the sun was having some weird effect. Once I was diagnosed, I realized that my lipstick was probably the culprit. I threw away all of my lipstick - but am still bothered with dry and sometimes blistering lips. I'm coming up on 2 months gluten free. Since I had no "classic" symptoms before diagnosis, I have no idea how well I am following the diet. I finally, just today, replaced my face moisturizer. Anyone else with lip problems??

Vitamin deficiency? Lips can be dry and cracked if deficient in B vitamins.

Does it seem to have any relationship to environment? Does it happen only in certain seasons, or all the time?

I would also, like the other poster, possibly look toward allergies.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#5 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:30 AM

I will second the vitamin B defieciency. My nutrition book say that a B deficiency will cause chapped lips. My lips get chapped in spring and fall. Tuesday I am having a nutrient absorbing test, so I will perhsps find out if I am absorbing B's well. I always wondered how I could eat so much vitamin B in bread and be deficient. I am sure there are other causes like sunburn or extreme weather.

Diana

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:24 AM

Not sure what your other symptoms are, but if the lips are blistering and they HURT, it sounds like a pervasive cold sore infection.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: