59 replies to this topic

#1 BabsV

BabsV

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

Anyone else dealing with emergency preparations for the possible 'Perfect Storm' headed to the Northeast?

They've just declared a state of emergency for VA...I'm wondering if it will end up being necessary. But I know if I don't do anything we'll probably get slammed and loose power for days...right?!?!

We've got water, nonperishables, dog food, candles, etc. and I'm charging any and every electronic device we might want or need for the next few days.

Gah! I was hoping for a quiet-ish weekend but it doesn't look like it will be happening.

The adventure begins...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thanks goodness the weather is moderate. There is nothing worse than post hurricane with 90 degree temps and oppressive humidity - to clean up your yard. :angry:

A battery powered radio would be helpful, too.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

A battery powered radio would be helpful, too.

And there's always the car radio if you can get to it :unsure:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

I want a storm like that :(

I have family out there in VA... so hopefully they'll be fine.

#5 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Crossing my fingers for all of you in the path x
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Board Games
Playing Cards - more than one deck comes in handy if you have bored kids
Extra batteries for everything
Last time we lost power we pulled out the old CDs along with a getto-blaster gathering dust in the garage - our teens had a blast listening to our "ancient" discs and playing cards.
Ziplocks half full of water shoved into all parts of the freezer - helps keep the freezer cold and provides back up drinking water.
When the power cuts off - use blue tape to remind everyone not to open the frig unless absolutely necessary and make sure you leave a few light switches or TV on so you know when the power is back on :)

Battery powered radio was the most important item....a few of our neighbors didn't have one - added a few bottles of wine and we all had a wonderful time!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#7 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

Ziplocks half full of water shoved into all parts of the freezer

This is a GREAT idea!
I am in northeastern Pa so we will not get hit too hard. Not like the coast . But this time of year we never know when we will lose power .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#8 bigbird16

bigbird16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:59 AM

Gas up your car, too. Were you in an area hit by the derrecho in June? Getting gas for a friend's generator the next day was quite the production.

Be safe, fellow East Coasters!
Migraines, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, paranoia, joint pain, vivid nightmares, exhaustion & lethargy, brain fog, bloat, GI issues--all gone or significantly reduced since dietary changes were made

Gluten-free (Nov. 2008), dairy-free (June 2009), soy-free (Aug. 2009), all-grains-and-grasses-but-rice-free (Nov. 2011); double HLA-DQ7

"'Always remember, Bilbo, when your heart wants lifting, think of pleasant things.' 'Eggs, bacon, a good full pipe, my garden at twilight....'" (The Hobbit, animated movie, 1977)

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

Didn't think of the plastic bags in the freezer. Good idea. Went out to get more dog food yesterday and the store was out!!!!! Thankfully they should have more Monday but the store owner gave me a bunch of sample bags to be on the safe side. I brought in more wood for the woodstove, got to have my coffee power or no power and really hate being cold. I have lots of crank lights and one that has a radio as well. Still need to get some batteries though. I am fairly far instate so hopefully we won't get hit to hard here. Going to be worried about family though as most are on the coast. Take care everyone and it is better to be prepared and not get hit hard than to be not prepared and regret it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

Back in the 80's during hurricane Gloria, we lost power for three weeks! (Small towns are the last to get power back.) When it DID come back on it surged. It blew out the motor in my refrigerator. So make sure you unplug anything that might be harmed by a power surge.

Stock up on snacks too. And toilet paper. :lol:

Everyone stay safe and if you can, enjoy this time off from the "real world".

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#11 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

also medications. Make sure you have enough.

#12 SMDBill

SMDBill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

I'm in southern Maryland and we got hit with Irene last year. The trajectory of this one looks to be going north of us, but not far enough to keep us out of it. We'll be experiencing hurricane force winds once again. We're about a mile from the Potomac River, which leads right into the Chesapeake Bay. Spent the day replacing the chainsaw blade, testing the generator, rebuilding a generator cord, getting lawn stuff put away and just verifying all our supplies are ready. My wife went shopping yesterday and we have 4 cases of water (in case we're out of power for a week or so), food, batteries for flashlights and other necessities. We take the dogs out to use the bathroom even in 100mph winds because they have to go a few times a day. That's the worst. In the dark is even less fun, but a flashlight, fresh change of clothes and a lot of insistence that they hurry is all we can do.

Best of luck to anyone in its path...stay safe! Get your supplies in advance and watch out for your neighbors as well.

#13 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Yes, please, if you know someone who is elderly or disabled, perhaps you could invite them to stay with you for the duration. Some folks will insist that they want to keep an eye on their own homes, even though there is nothing they could do if something DID happen. And some have too much pride to admit they need help. Maybe if you tell them you are having a "storm party" they would be able to swallow their pride and join you.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#14 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Probably too late to pick them up, but the headlamp flashlights work well as necklace - we find them very irritating to those around us as you are shining light directly in the eyes of anyone you are looking at, but are quite nice around the neck when you don't want to juggle a flashlight.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#15 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

I stuck a bunch of tupperware containers full of water in the freezer to
use in the fridge if the power goes out, and made a bunch of ice cubes.
Then I can put the big blocks of ice in the fridge and leave a few in the
freezer, and put the ice cubes in a cooler with the food I'm making today,
and not have to open the fridge or freezer again. Seems like a good plan.
We were going to buy a generator, but when you buy right before a storm
you can't return them, and if it's no good then we're stuck. We'll be buying
one in a few weeks I think.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: