This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frankenstorm!

BabsV

BabsV Enthusiast

Anyone else dealing with emergency preparations for the possible 'Perfect Storm' headed to the Northeast?

They've just declared a state of emergency for VA...I'm wondering if it will end up being necessary. But I know if I don't do anything we'll probably get slammed and loose power for days...right?!?!

We've got water, nonperishables, dog food, candles, etc. and I'm charging any and every electronic device we might want or need for the next few days.

Gah! I was hoping for a quiet-ish weekend but it doesn't look like it will be happening.

The adventure begins...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lisa Mentor

Thanks goodness the weather is moderate. There is nothing worse than post hurricane with 90 degree temps and oppressive humidity - to clean up your yard. :angry:

A battery powered radio would be helpful, too.

mushroom Proficient

A battery powered radio would be helpful, too.

And there's always the car radio if you can get to it :unsure:

shadowicewolf Proficient

I want a storm like that :(

I have family out there in VA... so hopefully they'll be fine.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Crossing my fingers for all of you in the path x

GottaSki Mentor

Board Games

Playing Cards - more than one deck comes in handy if you have bored kids

Extra batteries for everything

Last time we lost power we pulled out the old CDs along with a getto-blaster gathering dust in the garage - our teens had a blast listening to our "ancient" discs and playing cards.

Ziplocks half full of water shoved into all parts of the freezer - helps keep the freezer cold and provides back up drinking water.

When the power cuts off - use blue tape to remind everyone not to open the frig unless absolutely necessary and make sure you leave a few light switches or TV on so you know when the power is back on :)

Battery powered radio was the most important item....a few of our neighbors didn't have one - added a few bottles of wine and we all had a wonderful time!

cahill Collaborator

Ziplocks half full of water shoved into all parts of the freezer

This is a GREAT idea!

I am in northeastern Pa so we will not get hit too hard. Not like the coast . But this time of year we never know when we will lose power .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bigbird16 Apprentice

Gas up your car, too. Were you in an area hit by the derrecho in June? Getting gas for a friend's generator the next day was quite the production.

Be safe, fellow East Coasters!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Didn't think of the plastic bags in the freezer. Good idea. Went out to get more dog food yesterday and the store was out!!!!! Thankfully they should have more Monday but the store owner gave me a bunch of sample bags to be on the safe side. I brought in more wood for the woodstove, got to have my coffee power or no power and really hate being cold. I have lots of crank lights and one that has a radio as well. Still need to get some batteries though. I am fairly far instate so hopefully we won't get hit to hard here. Going to be worried about family though as most are on the coast. Take care everyone and it is better to be prepared and not get hit hard than to be not prepared and regret it.

bartfull Rising Star

Back in the 80's during hurricane Gloria, we lost power for three weeks! (Small towns are the last to get power back.) When it DID come back on it surged. It blew out the motor in my refrigerator. So make sure you unplug anything that might be harmed by a power surge.

Stock up on snacks too. And toilet paper. :lol:

Everyone stay safe and if you can, enjoy this time off from the "real world".

shadowicewolf Proficient

also medications. Make sure you have enough.

SMDBill Apprentice

I'm in southern Maryland and we got hit with Irene last year. The trajectory of this one looks to be going north of us, but not far enough to keep us out of it. We'll be experiencing hurricane force winds once again. We're about a mile from the Potomac River, which leads right into the Chesapeake Bay. Spent the day replacing the chainsaw blade, testing the generator, rebuilding a generator cord, getting lawn stuff put away and just verifying all our supplies are ready. My wife went shopping yesterday and we have 4 cases of water (in case we're out of power for a week or so), food, batteries for flashlights and other necessities. We take the dogs out to use the bathroom even in 100mph winds because they have to go a few times a day. That's the worst. In the dark is even less fun, but a flashlight, fresh change of clothes and a lot of insistence that they hurry is all we can do.

Best of luck to anyone in its path...stay safe! Get your supplies in advance and watch out for your neighbors as well.

bartfull Rising Star

Yes, please, if you know someone who is elderly or disabled, perhaps you could invite them to stay with you for the duration. Some folks will insist that they want to keep an eye on their own homes, even though there is nothing they could do if something DID happen. And some have too much pride to admit they need help. Maybe if you tell them you are having a "storm party" they would be able to swallow their pride and join you.

GottaSki Mentor

Probably too late to pick them up, but the headlamp flashlights work well as necklace - we find them very irritating to those around us as you are shining light directly in the eyes of anyone you are looking at, but are quite nice around the neck when you don't want to juggle a flashlight.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I stuck a bunch of tupperware containers full of water in the freezer to

use in the fridge if the power goes out, and made a bunch of ice cubes.

Then I can put the big blocks of ice in the fridge and leave a few in the

freezer, and put the ice cubes in a cooler with the food I'm making today,

and not have to open the fridge or freezer again. Seems like a good plan.

We were going to buy a generator, but when you buy right before a storm

you can't return them, and if it's no good then we're stuck. We'll be buying

one in a few weeks I think.

GottaSki Mentor

Friend of mine in North Carolina posted this picture - Frisco Pier has taken some hefty beatings from past storms but looks like this was the last straw - Sandy looks to be living up to all the hype -- stay safe everyone!!!

Big enough? Frisco pier this am, supposed to get bigger later.

removed photo because it was too big

mushroom Proficient

Stay safe (and dry) all you coastal peeps!

Jestgar Rising Star

So I was listening to NPR, and they were discussing the coming storm. Made comments about candles and batteries being sold out in stores. Now, I could see needing batteries, because you use those, and maybe you're running low, but candles? People live in a storm zone with frequent chance of power outage and they don't have a box of candles in the closet or garage? I rarely lose power and I have at least one candle in every room, plus a small stash, well, a large stash, for emergencies. And I'm not a candle person, I just don't like walking around in the dark.

No candles in a storm zone? That just strikes me as.....excessively lame....

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

What I find excessively lame is the poeple who don't have these necessities

who dealt with the two big storms CT got hit with last year. One half of the state

lost power for a week during Irene in August, and the other half of the state

got whacked with the big early snowstorm before Halloween. After that, how is

it that stores are selling out of flashlights, lanterns, batteries, candles? DID WE

LEARN NOTHING?!?!?! Come on, people.

mushroom Proficient

What I find excessively lame is the poeple who don't have these necessities

who dealt with the two big storms CT got hit with last year. One half of the state

lost power for a week during Irene in August, and the other half of the state

got whacked with the big early snowstorm before Halloween. After that, how is

it that stores are selling out of flashlights, lanterns, batteries, candles? DID WE

LEARN NOTHING?!?!?! Come on, people.

Maybe half the state just moved there and don't know any better (or at least the last part) :rolleyes:

Lisa Mentor

Friend of mine in North Carolina posted this picture - Frisco Pier has taken some hefty beatings from past storms but looks like this was the last straw - Sandy looks to be living up to all the hype -- stay safe everyone!!!

Yes, the Pier in Frisco is cut in half. South of the Oregon Inlet Bridge are cut off and highway 12 has been breaches in numerous places - with 24 hours to go. :( Winds here are not so bad but we're pretty wet. (Lots of pictures on FB)

Stay safe.

lpellegr Collaborator

I'm expecting to get a good amount of rain here in Trenton, NJ, and possible power outages. Thanks for reminding me about the bags of water in the freezer! Rounded up all of the candles and kerosene lamps, stocked up on everything (not a D battery to be found, though, by Saturday), pulled all of the yard miscellany inside, cleared the nearest storm drain, pulled the cars into the driveway NOT under the trees. I'm just glad it's not going to be snow. I hope. If nothing bad happens to you, it can be kind of fun to watch a storm like this - we watch to see whether the raging water in the gutters will get high enough to meet in the middle of the street, and after tropical storm Floyd lost some strength I sent the kids out to play in the rain. At 18 and 22, they probably won't be interested in that this time....

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

A good investment is a hand-crank radio, cell phone, and laptop charger. A converter to plug cell phones in to the cigarette lighter of a car is good. Turn off blue tooth and wifi and location services in apps on an iPhone to save battery.

At this point just hang on and eat the refrigerated stuff first, then the frozen....

And Tabssco makes everything taste better.

Lisa Mentor

We are doing well and will be in the clear by morning. The Outer Banks, I am afraid did not fare well.

And don't forget propane for the grill. It may be your only source for cooking everything in your freezer. During Isabel, we had no power for two-three weeks. The neighbors took turns cooking meals out of our freezers for the neighborhood (on gas stoves). It's amazing how creative you can get.

Stay safe my northern friends.

psawyer Proficient

We are on the upper fringe of the expected impact area, and on relatively high ground. Flood danger is low, but power problems are another question. The propane BBQ has gas, and a full spare tank. A hiker's camp stove is in the garage, and I think we have at least a gallon of fuel. There is a fireplace in the living room, and we have some firewood available.

We have power converters that can produce household AC from our vehicle's 12VDC, and charge anything we have. We have a cooler that runs on 12VDC (we also have an AC adapter that we use when travelling). Lots of fuel in both vehicles. Wired-up telephones (2) do not need local power to operate.

Still, there is some angst.

You are all in my thoughts.

To all our friends closer to the ocean and on lower ground, take care, be prepared; and if you are told to evacuate inland, well, be safe.

Archived