6 replies to this topic

#1 tictax707

tictax707

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Much to my surprise, Tostitos multigrain scoops are gluten free. What a fun treat! HOWEVER, tostitos multigrain "normal" chips are not!!!!! Guess who figured this out the hard way, and too late, of course.

It's one of the things that was burned into my head when I was first diagnosed - always always always read labels. Formulations change, etc. Anyone I know can tell you that after almost 10 years diagnosed I am still always reading labels. Even if it says gluten free on it, because I have other food sensitivities. And the second I drop the gdddmmnn ball I am paying for it, dearly.

I am extremely frustrated because the packaging is so similar between the two products. Not only that, they are both called "multigrain"!! :o

On the other hand, I did this to myself because the ingredient list clearly stated wheat. :(
Diagnosed celiac 2002
Diagnosed lymphocytic colitis 2003
Casein free
Love baking/cooking
Love triathlons

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

This is why i double and triple check in the store. Mind you it takes longer, but for peace of mind? So worth it.

#3 SMDBill

SMDBill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

tictax707, I feel for you. It's so frustrating! I'm still new to all this so I'm still in the initial paranoia. You sound like you've been vigilant and just had a slip of the mind that had bad results. I am sure it happens to many people, but that in no way makes anything better for you. I've only gotten gluten once and I am only now starting to absorb nutrients again so I can feel your pain!! It sucks that foods aren't just labelled as gluten free or NOT gluten free, but then they'd have to do that for every possible type of food allergy as well.

Good luck and speedy healing!

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for the warnign TicTax. i don't usually eat Totitos now but it is good to know they have confusing packaging. P.S. I hate it when that happens! I hope you feel better soon.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 Metoo

Metoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Lol! Tostitos Multigrain was my last glutening! I went to a party the chips were gluten-free then someone refilled the bowl with multigrain! I luckily grabbed just a small piece of one, and noticed it!! Luckily it was a small amount so my rash only lasted a week!

#6 dreacakes

dreacakes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

Oh my gosh, I've totally done this. I ate something the other day that totally had milk in the ingredients list! Ug! It's like you have to have "check the ingredients" tattooed on your hand....

Tostitos are probably not the best thing to eat anyway though, since they are made with GMO corn, and corn (as with all grains) does have gluten in it.
Debilitating tendonitis in both arms in 2003, at age 23, declared "permanent and stationary" by workman's comp doctors.
Fibromyalgia diagnosis in 2010.
Mild hyperthyroidism diagnosis 2011.
Disc Degeneration diagnosis 2012.
Life long battle with hypoglycemia.
Gluten Free since 2010. On Paleo-type diet since May 2011.
Suffered years of brain fog, back spasms, nausea, and recurring connective tissue pain and injuries. After years of misdiagnosis, I did my own elimination diet and discovered a severe reaction to wheat gluten and casein. After going on a grain free, nightshade free, Paleo-ish diet, my symptoms are nearly gone, and I FINALLY KICKED THE BRAIN FOG!
Cheers to health! <3

#7 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Oh my gosh, I've totally done this. I ate something the other day that totally had milk in the ingredients list! Ug! It's like you have to have "check the ingredients" tattooed on your hand....

Tostitos are probably not the best thing to eat anyway though, since they are made with GMO corn, and corn (as with all grains) does have gluten in it.

gluten in corn or rice,etc is not a concern for Celiacs. Gluten as a plant term is a protein in all grains. We use it as a food or Celiac term to refer to the proteins found only in wheat, rye & barley.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: