#16 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:41 AM

Christine-
Congrats! That's wonderful :) A friend of mine is pregnant and last week we were talking about how she is constipated now too b/c of it. Read this recent post--LOTS of advice for helping constipation...

http://www.glutenfre...wtopic=9465&hl=
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_imsohungry_*

Guest_imsohungry_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:52 AM

Congratulations!!!! :D

I know exactly how you feel. I just found out a few weeks ago that I am pregnant too! :)

Good luck to you. I hope it is a wonderful pregnancy. I am currently battling the "c" thing as well :rolleyes: But my main issue is still the morning (or all day) sickness.

I'm truly happy for you! :P -Julie

#18 KayJay

KayJay

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:46 AM

Congratulations! My doctor told me to eat two apples a day if I got c... And of course drink lots of water. Wishing you a healthy and happy pregnancy!
gluten-free since 2004!

#19 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:06 PM

Hi Guys!

It really happened, we are going to have a baby! :D  I'm so excited! And still a little in shock! :lol: I just went to the doctor last week.....they said I am definatly pregnant and the baby is due June 5th!

So far everything has been pretty good...the only thing I'm craving is cranberry juice (drinking a whole jug every day) and luckily that's gluten free!  My only problem has been c!  I get c really bad when I'm glutened and I have read that the elevated progesterine in your body when you are pregnant also gives you c......I don't know if it is gluten or pregnancy but I've got it bad!  All the pregnancy advice I have read says to eat lots of whole grains to prevent this (obviously that's out) and to drink lots of fluids (considering the cranberry juice I've got that covered) but still no relief.....does anybody have any suggestions to prevent c (in a gluten-free way) while your pregnant?

Thanks guys!

A very happy and pregnant
Christine

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Congrats!!
Fruits are a good way to counteract the c. I use dried apricots, raisins, canned fruit cocktail, and a really tried and true one for me is canned pears. Apple juice should help too. Or sometimes I resort to citruscel. That was recommended to me by my GI.
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#20 cgilsing

cgilsing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:51 PM

Thank you everybody for your responses! I have been trying some of the suggestions and my situation is improving :D Thank God!
Julie - I really hope your morning sickness gets better! I haven't had it too bad yet...but I have noticed that eating something small every couple of hours instead of big meals seems to keep the queeziness at bay! OH and I don't know how good soup is sounding to you, but I found a couple of campbell's soups that are gluten free and I have been really liking them for a mid-afternoon snack....the campbells select gold label tomato soup (it comes in a box instead of a can) I've been eating it for something small to tide me over until dinner....well enough of me rambling on! Soup might not sound good at all to you! :P Thanks again to everybody for your suggestions!

#21 Anya78

Anya78

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:18 AM

Congratulations! I'm also pregnant and just a few days behind you, Christine. I haven't had my first appt. yet (it's Oct. 25...can't wait!) but my calculations put my due date around June 9. It happened on our second try and I still can't believe it. We're telling the family in the next couple of weeks (my parents when we see them for my mom's b.day on Sat. and my husband's entire family the following weekend when we're together).

Funny you should mention "C" because I had horrible problems the week and a half before I found out I was pg. It was really bad. I ended up having to take Milk of Magnesia (which, according to my research is safe in pg and gluten-free, but I took it without asking my doc because I was so desperate; I don't think its good to use it a lot though). I needed some relief. I think it was one of my first pregnancy symptoms because there was NO reason for it (hadn't eaten out so no possible gluten; ate nothing unusual)

I've been eating lots of beans, salad, spinach and other foods with fiber since to avoid the problem again, plus drinking more water. I've actually been normal since a day after my positive HPT. I think breakfast is the hardest meal to get fiber for Celiacs since most of our cereal is unfortified. However, Van's WF/gluten-free waffles have a decent amount of fiber (and are awesome), so I eat those a couple times per week.

Well, best wishes for a happy and healthy nine months! (and cross your fingers that I have one too, please) :)
Anya

#22 WyoShiela

WyoShiela

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:31 AM

Thank you everybody for your responses!  I have been trying some of the suggestions and my situation is improving :D  Thank God!
Julie - I really hope your morning sickness gets better!  I haven't had it too bad yet...but I have noticed that eating something small every couple of hours instead of big meals seems to keep the queeziness at bay!  OH and I don't know how good soup is sounding to you, but I found a couple of campbell's soups that are gluten free and I have been really liking them for a mid-afternoon snack....the campbells select gold label tomato soup (it comes in a box instead of a can) I've been eating it for something small to tide me over until dinner....well enough of me rambling on!  Soup might not sound good at all to you! :P  Thanks again to everybody for your suggestions!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Patricia
wyoshiela@hotmail.com

gluten-free since Nov 2001
Other Allergies: Dairy & Soy

#23 WyoShiela

WyoShiela

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:36 AM

Hi,
I'm excited for you. I've enjoyed reading all your responses since I'm pregnant too (due April 17) and have been having the same problem. I tried some fiber chewables, but they gave me gas so bad I couldn't stand it!! I'll be trying all the things you are. Glad they are working for you! :)
Patricia
wyoshiela@hotmail.com

gluten-free since Nov 2001
Other Allergies: Dairy & Soy

#24 Guest_imsohungry_*

Guest_imsohungry_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:57 AM

Gosh, Congrats to everyone who is pregnant! :)

I'm reading this thread again...I've been battling the big "C" all week; I took Milk of Mag. last week with no results. :blink: So, I'm forced to try a new approach.

DRIED PRUNES! :wacko: :P

I eat seven bite-size a day...I have to say, I'm seeing progress :D

I bought prune juice too, but I'm having a really hard time drinking it!

You guys should have seen me at the check-out counter with nothing but a bag of prunes, a gallon of prune juice, metamucil, and a bottle of Milk of Mag. HA! :P

Pregnant, nauseous, constipated, and happy
-Julie ;)

#25 cgilsing

cgilsing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:32 PM

Congratulations to everyone who is pregnant! There really are a lot of us right now! Love must be in the air! :wub:
Anya - We really are close together! My first doc appt. is also on October 25! You will have to let me know how it goes! I'm really excited about it! I don't really know what I'm expecting to happen.....but I'm anxious all the same!
For me the C was the worst right when I was finding out I was pregnant. THings have improved some since then (I'm not completly miserable), but I'm still going to talk to the doctor about it. From what I have heard most pre-natal vitamins have a stool softener in them, and I am hoping to get some of those! I have also tried prune juice for fiber (and it really helps!) but at this point just the thought of it is making me gag! :blink: I heard a cute quote from none other than Dolly Pardon (sp?) in regards to morning sickness though...."If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain" now I just think of that when I'm running for the bathroom!

#26 kess

kess

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:03 AM

Funny that you and Anya should both mention this -- my first sign (even before I missed my period) was that things weren't as "easy" as before, even though my diet has not changed.

What's helping me are Psyllium husks (the stuff that metamusil is made with, but without any additives or other ingredients). I've seen them at Trader Joe's in vitamins section and Whole Foods in the bulk section.

Psyllium has no taste, and 2 tablespoons contain 40% of your daily recommended fiber. I just take it with a tall glass of water in between meals or before bed. Really helps to regulate things.

Good luck!

#27 Guest_DaiseeLove_*

Guest_DaiseeLove_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:29 PM

Ah! Congrats! LOL, I'm sorry, I don't really have any advice for you, I just wanted to post & say congrats, as well as that I'm due in June as well!! (June 10th!) :-)

Congrats again & hope you're feeling okay!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: