Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Need Help With This Statistic

7 posts in this topic

On the opening page of this web site is the following statement "If a person with the disorder continues to eat gluten, studies have shown that he or she will increase their chances of gastrointestinal cancer by a factor of 40 to 100 times that of the normal population."

I wonder if someone could explain this to me because I am not sure I am reading it right. Does it mean that if the chances of a "normal" individual getting gi cancer are 1 in 100, by increaing their chances up to100 times, does that mean chances are now 100 in 100 if they continue to eat gluten?

Please tell me I am not reading this right! :angry: I'm concerned. I now suspect I've had gluten problems my entire life but didn't stop eating it until the age of 56 (ish). Feel like I am doomed.

Jane

Hmmm...I read this to mean that, during your lifetime, if you continue to eat gluten and if, say, a person would normally have a 1% chance of developing gastrointestinal cancer, then you would have a 40%-100% chance of developing it. However, since you've stopped eating gluten, your chances should now return to those of the general population. I would assume that you have little to worry about now that you eat gluten free--take care!

100% of 1 is one. So 100% increase in risk means double the chance. If you have a 1% lifetime risk of getting a cancer, and you engage in a behaviour that increase the risk 40 to 100 fold, you have increased your lifetime risk to 1.4% to 2%.

Jestgar has that right. :) It's an increased risk but not a scary one.

100% of 1 is one. So 100% increase in risk means double the chance. If you have a 1% lifetime risk of cetting a cancer, and you engage in a behaviour that increase the risk 40 to 100 fold, you have increased your lifetime risk to 1.4% to 2%.

Jess took a statistics class last year :rolleyes:

It is scarey but do keep in mind that by the time you have been gluten free for 5 years your chances, from what I understand, go down to the same as the non-celiac population.

If you are very concerned and you haven't had your over 50 colonoscopy scheduling one soon with your GI doctor could set your mind at ease.

Jestgar - thank you for setting me straight! Your way sounds so much better than my way.