This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Egg/soya Reaction

CR5442

CR5442 Contributor

Hi everyone. Just wanted to find out if it is normal to suddenly start reacting very distinctly to Soya flour and Eggs? I've been gluten free for a year and 4 months and suddenly started to get tingling lips, itchy face and body and water retention from these two foods. Is there a similarity between soya/egg proteins to gluten. Are there any other foods that are similar that I might want to steer clear of?

Also, does adrenal fatigue get worse with these reactions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Dear, that sounds more like an allergic reaction then it sounds like a gluten one. Please be careful.

It sounds as if you just stumbled upon an allergic reaction. I had a similar experience with tomatos....

At any rate, any reaction like that causes the body to be fatigued.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Tingling and itching certainly can be a sign of allergic reaction. Might be worth checking with a doctor and asking about epipens, or to at least know what to do if you ever had an anaphylactic reaction.

My son has nut allergy and we carry epipens now.

Not sure on your other questions, good luck

CR5442 Contributor

Thanks all. I've never had a full on reaction but they do seem to be getting worse/more defined. My chest starts to close up and I have to drink water until I've washed the histamine out of my system. The NHS are very reluctant to run any kind of tests right now. I've only just been allowed to have another general panel of bloods taken... will be interesting to see what they come out with.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Sometimes the NHS will give epipens without testing, or give them while you wait for testing I think.

They should act if you chest is closing up and severity is increasing.

It seems to really vary by region what they will do in the way of testing. The anaphylaxis campaign have some good info, or allergy uk. Helpline as well as online.

Dont be afraid to call an ambulance if you need to. They were great with my son.

Good luck :)

Pegleg84 Collaborator

That does sound like an allergy. You should get it checked out.

But even if it's not, soy intolerance is common in Celiacs, one of those nasty extras we tend to develop. I haven't been able to eat soy for almost a year. Eggs also bother me, mostly in that if I eat them they seem to leave me feeling shaky and still hungry an hour or so later so what's the point. I think I just have trouble processing them. I think they're still fine in baked goods and such, but haven't tested that theory too heavily (am turning to vegan alternatives now that I have a non-egg eating vegetarian man to deal with. Banana's work quite nicely.)

Hope you figure out what's wrong and feel better soon!

GottaSki Mentor

I agree that you should persue getting epi pens immediately. I have tested negative for all food allergies yet my allergy-like reactions to many of my intolerant foods have escalated to anaphylaxis.

I was able to obtain epi pens without an appt. I think most docs would rather error on the side of caution in cases of escalating allergic reactions.

Good luck - stay safe!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived