Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Has Anyone Used Quail Eggs For A Substitute For Eggs?

A different protein

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:31 AM

I have a friend raising quale eggs. She says that some people whol are allergic to chicken eggs can eat quail eggs. Has anyone tried it?

I keep thinking about having been told that Spelt and Kamut were a good substitute for wheat. That didn't work out for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:18 AM

I keep thinking about having been told that Spelt and Kamut were a good substitute for wheat. That didn't work out for me.

Spelt and Kamut are not allowed on a gluten-free diet, which explains why they didn't work for you.
http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

"Spelt and Kamut are not allowed on a gluten-free diet, which explains why they didn't work for you."

Yeah, for sure. If only I woud have known about gluten. That was 5-10 years back when I sort-of knew I couldn't eat wheat. At any rate My concern is that if quail eggs were a substitue for chicken eggs, one could latch on to it and not know if it was just as bad for their body. I am not saying that it would be bad or good just wondering if it would work for some. But I am always a little leary of convenient substitutes because of what happened to me with wheat substitutes.

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

OK...you scared me there for a minute about the spelt and kamut.

Sorry, I don't have any info on quail eggs but hopefully someone will chime in on those.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

I've read unscientific evidence that people who are allergic to chicken eggs can eat quail eggs. I personally don't know of anyone though. I would ask an allergist about that before trying them. That said, quail eggs are very healthy for you. I raise quail for meat and eggs and eat them on a regular basis. I just love them but I don't have an allergy or intolerance either.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:16 AM

I don't know if it's a good alternative. For baking, I've subbed applesauce and extra cocnut oil for eggs but to be honest, I haven't tried that with gluten-free baking yet; I imagine you'd need extra xanthum gum too.

I've only eaten qual eggs once and while I found them tastey, I doubt I'd get them again because of the cost. Plus there's that cuteness factor... I felt guilty eating such small cute eggs! LOL :blink: :rolleyes:
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

They work great in baking! You can use quail eggs in place of chicken eggs in most anything. Typically a large chicken egg measures 1/4 cup. I have found that 5-6 of my quail eggs equals one large chicken egg. The only way I haven't fixed them is soft boiled because it would be hard to get them scooped out. My only complaint is that they can be a booger to crack open. They have a stronger inner membrane than a chicken egg but less strong shell. I just crack them in a little container and remove any egg shell that makes it's way in.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#8 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

I am hoping I am not allergic to eggs. I can't imagine cracking 90 eggs every morning to get my family going. Eggs are excellent protein, fat, and vitamin B if you don't overcook them.

Diana

#9 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

I've read unscientific evidence that people who are allergic to chicken eggs can eat quail eggs. I personally don't know of anyone though. I would ask an allergist about that before trying them. That said, quail eggs are very healthy for you. I raise quail for meat and eggs and eat them on a regular basis. I just love them but I don't have an allergy or intolerance either.

Maybe I can raise them if I need to. I am not sure about gathering 90+ little eggs daily!

#10 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Duck eggs are apparently awesome for baking. Some people find the tase too strong for direct eating, others don't.

And they're a lot bigger than quail eggs. ;)
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#11 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Once upon I had goose eggs. They are plenty big, but I don't know if they have a "different" protein than chicken eggs and would be tolerable. Where would me "allergist" find out that information?

#12 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

Duck eggs are apparently awesome for baking. Some people find the tase too strong for direct eating, others don't.

And they're a lot bigger than quail eggs. ;)

My grandmother used to make the best custard pies out of duck eggs.. :wub:

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: