Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Any Almost Symptomless Young Kids Test Positive?

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 Metoo

Metoo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

I did not test positive for celiac, but i have a rash and it's obvious I can't have gluten.

In the year I have been gluten-free my family has been 80% or more gluten free. I still buy them some non-gluten-free packaged snacks or an occasional loaf of bread.

During this time my 5 year old managed to gain 7lbs between 4-5 years old! This is a kid who barely gains 2-3lbs a year, it finally pushed him up to a more matching percentile! (75th height/50th for weight!). He also has excema, his skin feels like sandpaper!

I would like to get him tested I think. But I don't have a positive test to back me up. And he doesn't have a lot of symptoms.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

I have a totally symptomless child but her dad is type 1 diabetic and she has low thyroid. It was those facts alone that led her pediatrician to run a random test. Positive. Oh and egg allergy can also cause exema.

#3 Skysmom03

Skysmom03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Mine was symptomless as well. His dad has type 1 diabetes and celiac. Only got tested because of him.... Turns out he has had it for about three years they believe.

#4 Minette

Minette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

I think my daughter's doctor would consider the change in weight gain to be significant enough (especially combined with your positive response to going gluten-free) that he would be willing to test.

Then again, we are lucky enough to have great insurance that lets us do pretty much anything, so we rarely have to work hard to convince doctors to run tests. Sadly, that usually factors into the equation.

#5 Mom-of-Two

Mom-of-Two

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

My daughter tested positive to our shock after we had them both tested following my own disgnosis 8 mos ago. No abdominal symptoms or indications of anything wrong, very healthy. She had a normal biopsy, however tested pos on her ttg labs and pos for the endomysial antibody, also vitamin D deficient. She has been strictly gluten free for 3 months, and gained 4 lbs in the 3 months- very telling.

#6 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:51 AM

Eczema isn't normal. I had it when I was a teen. The itching is horrendous, if you can spare him only that, I think it would be worth it.

Diana

#7 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

My son's only symptom was a drastic and sudden behavior change. Otherwise he appeared perfectly healthy. Taller than average, fantastic eater, zero GI issues (ever, even as a baby). Mysterious things that improved (besides his behavior) after going gluten free: sleeps better, no dark circles under his eyes, more verbal and outgoing, more patience. His hair got thicker and turned somewhat curly. (not sure if that would have happened anyway - it is weird.)

Now, if he gets gluten accidently, he has symptoms. Stomach ache, rash around his mouth. super-grouchy mood for about a week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: