6 replies to this topic

#1 KnightRobby

KnightRobby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

So I have briefly heard about medications containing Gluten and was wondering how true this is? I am on medications for severe chronic head pain and needed to know if this could be making me feel worse.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

It is possible that a medication would contain gluten.

Anything injected is going to be gluten-free since gluten is a binding agent that would interfere with the flow and likely jam the needle.

Capsules are made from gelatin, which is gluten-free. Because the capsule contains the medicine, no fillers or binding agents are needed.

Tablets need a binder. The most common one is corn starch, but in some cases wheat is used. You need to ask, unless the label lists all inactive ingredients, or declares it to be gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,682 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

I call the maker of any medication that I need to take. Any scripts I have gotten have the makers name somewhere on the bottle in little tiny letters. I put their name and the words contact info in a search engine. Usually that will bring up a phone number. I do not ask if the med is gluten free because technically some wheat starch is considered to be so processed that it is gluten free. I tell them I have a wheat allergy. Rye and barley are not a concern in meds from what I have seen.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Like raven I call the manufacturer of every medication I take. I call before filling prescriptions by simply asking the pharmacy what manufacturer they will use to fill with. I can either ask them for a contact number or google it on my phone. Or at this point I have most manufacturer's numbers stored in my phone. I do ask if it is gluten free, but also ask them to source the starch and binder for me. They will all at some point during the call give you some "we don't test final products or guarantee blah blah blah" statement. This is normal, do not get paranoid. As long as they can confirm that the product has no wheat sourced ingredients you should be good.

Do NOT fill a prescription without first calling. You can not return it once it is filled. Don't waste your time if it's Roxanne, they don't even answer their phones I found out yesterday. They have an automated "we don't answer questions about what's in our drugs" message so they can go take a flying leap imo. I had a hell of a time filling a scrip yesterday with two of the manufacturer's offices being in New Jersey. Another was Roxanne. One said they'd get back to me later. I was one step away from a compounding pharmacy for god only knows how much money before I got a manufacturer who could answer my questions on the phone. It took over an hour. Many manufacturer's are east coasters, if at all possible schedule all doctor's appointments in the mornings or early afternoons. If it is after about 2 and you are on mountain time or later, you likely won't be filling any scrips until the next day.

Last, do not trust lists online of gluten free drugs. One of these lists has a drug that I would have taken if I hadn't called the manufacturer. They told me over the phone that their starch is sourced from wheat but they consider it to be gluten free. Yeah, and good luck getting me to take that too. Benefiber considers their product to be gluten free and it is literally wheat starch. I think companies out to make money and I just have different opinions of what defines gluten free, under 20 ppm doesn't count.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 KnightRobby

KnightRobby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Okay. I had a feeling. This is such a pain in the butt because of my chronic pain and the meds I take because of it. I'll have to call.

I just picked up a new medication that actually has the warning on it: May contain Soy or Peanuts. This is the first time I've ever seen an allergy warning on a medication.

So is Soy a problem in my Vitamin D prescription? I've read that Soy can be a problem because it is grown in rotation with wheat, but I don't have an actual wheat allergy.

Input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,682 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

Soy can be a problem for some of us but not for all. If you don't get symptoms from consuming soy I wouldn't worry about that. If you are celiac or gluten intolerant. you need to avoid wheat in medications whether you have a true allergy or not. The reaction we get from wheat (gluten) is not an allergy it is an autoimmune reaction. The reason I say to drug makers that I have an allergy is because wheat starch is so processed it is considers gluten free but many of us will react to it anyway. I know it is a pain to have to check all meds but it will prevent you from having side effects related to gluten. There are enough side effects to the drugs themselves in some cases that we don't need gluten thrown into the mix.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:41 AM

IMO, if the manufacturer is actually listing allergens and wheat isn't there, it's going to be safe.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: