This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Milk Options

Adalaide

Adalaide Mentor

So, I am waiting for a call back from the last dairy within a reasonable driving distance of my home for information about milking practices. Every other dairy so far has confirmed that they absolutely use a betadine wash on their cows prior to milking. I am assuming that this one will confirm the same thing.

Are there any rice milk options I can purchase that don't have either carageenan or sea salt? I can't have soy, nuts or seeds. Every coconut milk I've picked up also had carageenan in it, and frankly in the past my opinion of them has been less than stellar, while I quite enjoy rice milk. I know I can make rice milk, I just don't want to have to. I'm not terribly afraid to try flax milk (I haven't had an adverse reaction to flax in my diet with my vision even though it is a seed), but it was $5 for a half gallon and had sea salt. FIVE DOLLARS?!? Who are they kidding? Seriously.

Another option is to start calling dairies as far as 2-3 hours away. It's getting cold out and as long as I grab a cooler I should be good to pick up a lot at once and freeze it. I'm sure I can find something touristy to do with a day besides drive for 4-6 hours too. Yes, I like milk enough to drive 6 hours for it if I have to. If anyone has any knowledge of a dairy with acceptable practices in Utah I would be ever so grateful for contact information. I've got a full tank of gas and nothing to do on Thursday.

Maybe I should buy a cow? I'm only half kidding. Okay, maybe only a quarter.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

The only milk sub I found that did not have carageenan in it (but did have sea salt) was a hemp milk. I don't remember the brand, but I found it at Whole Foods.

You can make rice milk or almond milk (and I assume coconut milk) at home. Just google for a recipe.

I was able to get my milk down to just half n half in coffee or tea for 2 weeks, plus a little butter in cooking. Milk was the FIRST thing I added back because subbing it is a PITA. Luckily, plain milk wasn't a big issue...just had to watch the carageenan if added.

kareng Grand Master

Why no sea salt? I don't think it has iodine added - at least the one I bought at Costco.

Iodine levels in sea salt vary....sea salt is from the sea....they have seaweed there, etc. :). Some sea salts state their iodine levels. I used Real Salt and it was VERY LOW.

Some people prefer not to use sea salt because it's an easy elimination of potential iodine, just like switching to non-iodized salt.

Adalaide Mentor

I use Real Salt at home. I have for quite a long time, I live in Utah where it is mined so it's beneficial to the local economy and frankly it's far better than any sea salt I've ever had. I am going through the worst hell of my life right now and I simply can not risk the fact that I don't know the iodine levels of the sea salts in the milks on the shelves. From what I read, if it's from the sea, it just needs to be out.

The complication for me is the stupid pseudotumor. No nuts, no seeds, no soy. That eliminates almost all of the best options for milk replacements. I love coconut, just not as milk, I don't know it's just weird and watery and... weird. I'll go to making rice milk if I have to I suppose. I was just hoping for something I could buy. I guess it's time to learn to cook rice. <_<

shadowicewolf Proficient

Whats wrong with betadine? Does it have iodine in it?

I use Real Salt at home. I have for quite a long time, I live in Utah where it is mined so it's beneficial to the local economy and frankly it's far better than any sea salt I've ever had. I am going through the worst hell of my life right now and I simply can not risk the fact that I don't know the iodine levels of the sea salts in the milks on the shelves. From what I read, if it's from the sea, it just needs to be out.

The complication for me is the stupid pseudotumor. No nuts, no seeds, no soy. That eliminates almost all of the best options for milk replacements. I love coconut, just not as milk, I don't know it's just weird and watery and... weird. I'll go to making rice milk if I have to I suppose. I was just hoping for something I could buy. I guess it's time to learn to cook rice. <_<

I can't stand milk substitutes.

Period.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

So, on my way home from work this afternoon I stopped in at the local garden market figuring I can pick up a squash, a last of the seaso tomato and ask about milk. Sure enough there are two places "localy" where I can buy raw milk. I talked to both and the one only 5 minutes away cleans the cows after the iodine wash! They say that the wash would make the milk taste funny and they don't want anything contaminating it at all. I had to sign a waiver, hah! I grew up with a cow until I was 3 drinking raw milk. I also had to pay $7 for a gallon. I was in the store when I talked to the guy at the farm who told me I would be able to drink it and I just stood there and cried like a moron. I'm pretty sure everyone there thinks I'm a freak now. I'm going to have to check for butter and cream and STUFF on Thursday when I go back.

Also, how was there this whole other health food store 5 minutes away I didn't know existed?! Apparently my husband knew it was there and just never mentioned it to me. :blink:

So, on my way home from work this afternoon I stopped in at the local garden market figuring I can pick up a squash, a last of the seaso tomato and ask about milk. Sure enough there are two places "localy" where I can buy raw milk. I talked to both and the one only 5 minutes away cleans the cows after the iodine wash! They say that the wash would make the milk taste funny and they don't want anything contaminating it at all. I had to sign a waiver, hah! I grew up with a cow until I was 3 drinking raw milk. I also had to pay $7 for a gallon. I was in the store when I talked to the guy at the farm who told me I would be able to drink it and I just stood there and cried like a moron. I'm pretty sure everyone there thinks I'm a freak now. I'm going to have to check for butter and cream and STUFF on Thursday when I go back.

Also, how was there this whole other health food store 5 minutes away I didn't know existed?! Apparently my husband knew it was there and just never mentioned it to me. :blink:

I'm glad you found some!

You can make your own butter, and even fresh soft cheese VERY easily.

You won't be short of cream, either if they haven't let it rise. You may get some even if they have, if you let it sit again.

Archived