Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

How Do You Handle Halloween Treats

12 posts in this topic

I was wonderting how you all plan on handling Halloween in order to keep it gluten-free?

This is my kids first Halloween gluten-free, and our plan is to trick or treat, and let the kids keep some of the safe foods, and trade the rest in to a local dentist who buys kids' candy back from them according to it's weight... I'm assuming my boys will keep the light stuff like potato chips.

I also told them that if they wanted to trade all their candy in, I would buy them their own bag of gluten-free chips or nachos.

Happy Halloween.

Ads by Google:

I was wonderting how you all plan on handling Halloween in order to keep it gluten-free?

This is my kids first Halloween gluten-free, and our plan is to trick or treat, and let the kids keep some of the safe foods, and trade the rest in to a local dentist who buys kids' candy back from them according to it's weight... I'm assuming my boys will keep the light stuff like potato chips.

I also told them that if they wanted to trade all their candy in, I would buy them their own bag of gluten-free chips or nachos.

Happy Halloween.

No need to deprive your kids. Here is a safe list of candy that they can have. You might want to swap out some of your own safe candy for their stash they get Trick or Treating, or pick through it (for the food pantry ;) )

http://celiacdisease...a/GFcandies.htm

LOVE the dentist idea, too.

BOO! :ph34r:

I plan on going through his bag with him and sort what he can and can't have. That way he will learn what is safe as well!

The promise of light sabers (a trade for the candy) works for two boys - aged 5 and 3 years.

They can eat the chips.

FoodBank gets the rest .

My 4 yr old daughter is pretty good about recognizing what she can't have, and then we swap gluten-treats with safe treats and I bring the gluten treats to work. I live in a small town and most of our neighbors know us and and the kids gluten issues, so they look out for them.

Let the kids trade some of the bounty with their friends.

Give some of it to the teenager who thought they were too cool or too old to go out begging.

Did they have a friend that wasn't feeling well enough to go out? Give it to them.

We also gave it to teachers before.

My kids took a funny approach to this last night. I have 2 boys, one with celiac and the other without. So the one with celiac systematically traded all of this gluten candy to his brother in exchange for gluten-free options.

After 10 minutes of trading and haggling, all the gluten candy was in the non-celiac's bowl and they each had a pile of gluten-free candy. Then the two of them dumped all the gluten-free candy into a single bowl and agreed to share it all.

I guess the trading was just for the sake of trading. So we now have a gluten bowl and a non-gluten bowl. And everyone is happy.

I've been trading candy for legos for years now and it works great. We keep enough to have 1 or 2 treats a day for about a week and that is it. They don't mind at all since they usually end up getting something they want even more (Legos.)

Since one is now gluten free, we spend some time sorting and trading (and looking stuff up) so that all the treats he keeps are safe. It is a great lesson on checking ingredients and making good choices.

We then take all the extra candy to the local polling site on election day. The volunteers really appreciate it. It sits out in a big bowl all day and people coming in can just help themselves.

Cara

This was our first gluten-free Halloween as well. My daughter (almost 7) did great with it. If there was a gluten-free option in the bowl, she took it. If she wasn't sure, she just took whatever. Then when we got home, I sorted it all out and replaced the gluten ones with gluten-free candy I had bought previously.

I was actually really surprised at how much candy is gluten-free. (My daughter doesn't seem very sensitive, so we don't worry about shared facilities.)

It also helps (in this case) that my daughter is a really picky eater, even when it comes to candy. I think she was actually hoping to have more stuff taken away and replaced with Skittles!

Our school has a "cash for candy" program where they give the kids $1 a pound -- then the candy gets sent to soldiers overseas. I let my kids keep all the candy they actually trick-or-treated for, but we donated all the extra candy I bought.

We too were shocked at how much candy was gluten free. We did a "Candy for Claire's" trade. I let the girls keep 10 pieces of candy, I took the rest to the foodbank, and then took the girls to Claires...

Sooo much candy is gluten free- we did trick or treat last night, came home and made piles- I am lucky that my daughter has such a wonderful attitude and is totally accepting of her diet and never feels excluded- she focuses on the things she CAN have which I think is an amazing quality, she has done way better in her 3 months gluten free than I am doing at 8 months gluten free- children are amazing :)

We don't do much candy anyway, but I keep a jar of Dum Dum's and other safe treats for those occasions.

I also exclude candy that has been processed with wheat, which not everyone does.

some years I just buy back their unsafe candy---depending on how much they get I give them anywhere from 10 cents to a quarter per treat. My oldest son is a moneyman and very happy with this trade off!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• WOW.  That looks eerily familiar.  Last December the temporary provider here at my local (rural) clinic gave me doxycycline to experiment with, but it was a mere ten milligrams.  Lol, no wonder it didn't help!  I'm glad you're feeling better.
    • I got cross contaminated some time ago & the rash came back pretty badly. I've attached a photo taken on June 11th of my back. It was also in my scalp, around my neck, on my front, shoulders, inner wrists and more.   Tonight I am not itching at all! I haven't itched all day long!!!! I can't take Dapsone because I'm allergic to sulfa drugs & Dapsone is a sulfa drug. Obviously that means I also can't take any of the other sulfa drugs that are used to treat dh after Dapsone is not an option. After those comes tetracycline. I really needed some relief! I began researching the dosage & particulars on tetracycline for dh. Extensive & exhaustive research did not pan out. The best I could find was treating Bullous phemphigoid. That said something like 500mg of tetracycline 4 times per day and about an equal amount of niacinimide. I really didn't want to take that much medication and in such strong doses. So my doctor (my PC doc) & I began experimenting. We tried Doxycycline 100mg twice a day. It seemed to be helping some but it just wasn't enough. Then we upped it to 200mg Doxycycline twice per day. It has taken about 5 days of that & I sit here not itching all day for the first time in a long, long time! This may not work for everyone. I did want to post it though as it is, at present, working for me. I am not thrilled at taking it but I have toughed this rash out before for years with no meds and I just couldn't do it again.
    • I laughed out loud at the 'little notebook' comment!😂 It has been interesting to see how much progress has actually been made over the past 10 years that there is even a notebook to be offered or a restaurant to eat in that will accommodate our 'allergy'. 10 years ago I feared that I would never eat in a restaurant again.  But the notebook comment is spot on.  Hopefully within the next 10 years restaurants will evolve enough to offer us a menu that clearly lists the delicious and extensive offerings that they have lovingly prepared just for us...and not just an ingredient list with nutritional values that take longer to read than War and Peace.   I am grateful that there are places to go that at least make the effort.  Who knows?  Eventually there may be restaurants which will have to offer menus with GLUTEN options available!
    • Thanks for posting this Adrien, it's a great list and I and others will appreciate the effort and the thought behind it. I loved my time in Malaysia and I'm glad I sampled all the food I could whilst I was still on an unrestricted diet. The good thing is that, like you say, some of the nice Malay foods are still ok. As a backpacker I survived on a lot of nasi goreng and laksa, nice to think if I return there I could still do the same Terima kasih!
    • I have posted on here before. DQ2, brother with celiac, DGP iGA was the only mildly elevated test. Was gluten-free so did 6 week challenge last winter. Negative biopsy. I am gluten-free now but do go out to eat. Prior to the challenge my health was good. Since then I have: Chest pain, pain between shoulder blades, periods of shortness of breath, heart palpitations, one instance of a heart arrythmia episode, neck is tender to touch on one side (they kept saying sinuses or TMJ which my dentist vetoed) ear ache, bowels never sink. Numbness and tingling. Blood pressure variations. Could be doing chores and feel dizzy and it might be 84/52.  not super low, but not typical for me if I'm running around the house.While other days I am mildly hypertensive. Recently lost 5 lbs in 8 days without trying. Recently electrolytes were low, alkaline phosphatese was low. Ferritin started dropping so started liquid iron 2-3 times per day 4 months ago. Primary watching that, I am not anemic but we are nowhere near iron overload either.  GI doc was a dick. Did not even know DGP replaced older tests and he was very condescending When I begged him for help recently and told me to get a second opinion which is exactly what I plan on doing.  I now have pain in my upper GI area. It is tender to touch. I had my gallbladder out in 97 along with a stone and infection in my bile duct. It hurts in this area. Pancreatic enzymes look fine, liver enzymes fine. Pancreatic ultrasound fine. I will now be doing a EUS Soon to look at bile duct, pancreas and liver.   so a typical day for me is that I might feel fine for a while and then suddenly feel like I'm going to pass out. really dizzy, numbness in odd places, like my body has been hijacked. I will typically eat a bunch of food something high protein and in about an hour or so I start to feel better. However, then my upper stomach starts to hurt in place of the passing out feeling. blood sugars are also normal. After getting the " it must be panic attacks" and condescending looks a million times my primary finally ordered an ultrasound of my sore neck and there is an abnormality in my thyroid which she says looks like possibly Hashti's. Except for one time, all my serum TSH tests were normal. We have more blood work on Monday. As I have not put on any weight and there are other symptoms that are closer to Graves.  Has anyone else had any thyroid issues that followed doing a gluten challenge?  where is your stomach pain? Do you have it above or below your belly button? Mine feels like it's in the pancreas area, like 2-3 inches above the belly button and when I push on it it's tender, but not all the time. sometimes i feel it in my back. 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ForeverYoung&GlutenFree