Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Took Swig Of Edensoy With Wheat Barley Extract...

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 slee11211

slee11211

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

How scared should I be? I cannot BELIEVE that a soy milk had wheat and barley extract in it!!! Damn Storm (sandy), I grabbed only soymilk that was left on the shelf as an emergency measure. Opened it, had one mouthful and instinctively knew something was up...that was a taste I had not had for probably over 2 yrs....barley malt. Looked at the ingreds and sure enough. You learn something new every day, apparently. Had no idea that a soymilk could be glutened. Shoot. How bad will this be? I have not had a taste of gluten, not even a grain, in over a year. Was never one to get super sick (it ate away at me slowly), but still.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

I'd say prepare for a storm :( Always check, lesson learned.

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Everyone reacts differently. I feel a reaction within an hour, but it can take up to three days. Time will tell.

Drink lots of water and let us know how you fare. There is no way to prevent every accident so don't be too hard on yourself. We've all been there.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

Try not to panic. I know that might sound easier said than done. Everyone's reactions are different, not everyone reacts badly to it. I agree with previous comment, drink plenty of water, it helps to flush toxins out of the body quicker. I have found some gluten and wheat free Slippery Elm capsules which I take to sooth my gut and find it works quite well. I realise that with the storm it may not possible for you to get out at the moment, but it might be worth considering for future use. Take care.
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#5 slee11211

slee11211

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Thank god, nothing major! I have been a bit foggy and tired...but that comes and goes so often (from being undiagnosed until 46!) that I can't tell if it's out of the ordinary or not. So...good lesson. It's not always going to be a major disaster. And read labels, even when it's soy milk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: