This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thread For gluten-free, Dairy, Soy, Corn And Nightshade Free Recipes

AnnJay

AnnJay Apprentice

Hi all,

It seems that once going gluten-free many of us find other problems arise. The above list (gluten-free, dairy, soy, corn, and nightshade free) seems to be a common one, along with totally grain free. Can we start a thread of recipes and meal suggestions that follow these restrictions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AnnJay Apprentice

One of my regular meals is to make chicken soup with carrots, celery, onion (mirepoix) and sometimes ginger, lemongrass, leeks, turnips, or whatever additions. The next day I make homemade mayo for chicken salad. The broth and veggies I put in the vitamixer with some other cooked veggies for a thick soup. Roast sugar baby pumpkin has been a favorite flavor of late, but adding any cooked veggie will do.

Since discovering Paleo recipes, I found a crock pot meal with pork tenderloin and butternut squash, spiced with garam masala. It was pretty good, and with enough cooking time the squash disintegrates into a sauce. I've been adding bacon and an egg to the leftover stew to call it breakfast. Yummy breakfast! I found the recipe on everyday paleo.com but others may have it as well.

This week we also had meatloaf (no breadcrumbs, no tomatoes) with sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Tonight was fish with spaghetti squash and spinach. Tomorrow I will be roasting carrots to make a replacement tomato sauce to serve over meatballs, maybe with some brown rice pasta. I also plan to cook a crock pot pulled pork flavored with apple cider vinegar and honey, but haven't decided on sides yet. After some shopping bigos (Polish hunters stew) will be on the menu, but without tomatoes and I have to find some sausage without ingredients from The List.

I'm looking forward to hearing your meal suggestions!

GottaSki Mentor

I think you just did...many folks post in the what's for lunch and dinner threads - it would be great for those of us with multiple intolerances to have a thread as well.

Tonight I had:

Roast Beef

Roasted Asparagus

*Spaghetti Squash with Cilantro/Almond/Garlic Pesto - I can't use pinenuts or walnuts for pesto

*Family had gluten-free pasta with pesto - picky son had splash of pasta sauce straight from a jar in the frig on his ;)

GottaSki Mentor

Hi AnnJay-

You may want to click on the follow this topic link/button on the upper right - will make it easier to find the thread easily.

GFinDC Veteran

I had ham and eggs for breakfast, Bob'b Red Mill gluten-free hot cereal for lunch and dinner. And mulien tea to drink and water.

GottaSki Mentor

Eggs scrambled in pan with leftover roast beef cubes and aspargus. Lined bowl with fresh spinach - add eggs - let sit for a minute to steam the spinach - mix add salt and pepper.

And Jack-o-lanterns currently rotating thru the oven - smells great here :)

GFinDC Veteran

Ham and beans today. Put in some mushrooms and onion also. More mullein tea.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Special birthday dinner tonight for one of my teens:

BBQ Baby Back-ribs

Gluten Free Hawaiian Pizza

Grilled Pineapple

Brownie Cake topped with a layer of mint confection and topped with chocolate frosting - think girl scout thin mints on steroids :)

For me: Ribs - sans sauce; spinach salad and chocolate dessert -- I currently eat very few sweets, for special occasions I make the following so everyone doesn't feel bad for me: heated coconut oil, almond butter, agave and cocoa whisked well then sets up firmly in custard cups in the frig for firm mousse type or freeze for ice cream replacement.

AnnJay Apprentice

Breakfast: ground beef, leeks, spinach, eggs. Discovered we are out of onions. Horrors!

Lunch: paleo pumpkin muffins

Dinner: roast chicken and carrots

I roasted carrots for a pasta sauce to eat tomorrow with homemade meatballs. I'm trying a tomato substitute for the first time. Kids will eat regular pasta with tomato sauce, I get brown rice pasta with carrot sauce. I froze some extra meatballs and sauce for later use. And I need to make some mayo for chicken salad.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I discovered yesterday I was out of butter (horror!) so I made fried apples with just

a spoonful of honey, and am eating that with leftover roasted chicken now. Cold

fried apples are DELICIOUS!

GottaSki Mentor

I discovered yesterday I was out of butter (horror!) so I made fried apples with just

a spoonful of honey, and am eating that with leftover roasted chicken now. Cold

fried apples are DELICIOUS!

Yum - I just decided what's for lunch with my left over baby backs :)

Yep....yummy - thanks Bunnie!

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Beef stew for supper here tonight. Tomorrow chop suey. If you're grain free..don't make rice with it.

AnnJay Apprentice

Would you share your chop suey sauce recipe? I haven't eaten Chinese food for months, since avoiding corn starch and soy sauce.

AnnJay Apprentice

Breakfast: spaghetti squash with ground beef

Lunch: chicken, homemade mayo, sautéed mixed veggies

Dinner: TBD but I think meatloaf with a pureed carrot sauce. Maybe some rice noodles.

Plan to boil the roast chicken carcass to make some stock to flavor some beans.

GottaSki Mentor

Steak

Steamed Broccoli

Spaghetti Squash with cilantro pesto

Highlight today was apples -- first fried with a touch of cinnamon for lunch and then used my new dehydrator to dry apple slices - they were crunchy :rolleyes: I cannot tell you how much I have missed crunchy snacks this past year.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Yay crunchy apples! I definitely need to get me a dehydrator, can't wait to

make dried fruits and veggies and beef jerky!

AnnJay Apprentice

Spaghetti squash with ground beef, egg white (leftover from making mayo) and brown rice pasta

Chicken, mayo, mixed veggies

Spaghetti squash with carrot sauce

And, SWEET! I made a paleo dessert with nuts and dates called caramel pecan bars. Awesome!! It was such a joy to eat something sweet for dessert. The puréed dates would probably taste good on an apple, too. A recipe for the holidays, certainly!

GottaSki Mentor

Yay crunchy apples! I definitely need to get me a dehydrator, can't wait to

make dried fruits and veggies and beef jerky!

Love, love, love the new dehydrator - pears and two types of apples great thus far. Looking for way to safely marinate jerky - may just make a few batches for my men without so many intolerances first. The apple chips alone make me very happy. Strange - granny smiths took 6 hours to crunchy - gala and pears are dried at 6, but going to try them go a bit longer - really loving the crunch. Also, all instructions I found said my fruit would turn very brown without soaking in citrus juice first -- I can't have citrus so I dried my fruit naked...didn't turn brown - tanned a bit, but didn't detract from enjoyment :)

Eggs with chopped cilantro, chopped broccoli and spinach for breakfast this morning

AnnJay Apprentice

LOVE the idea of a food dehydrator!

Ate leftovers again tonight. The carrot sauce goes well with everything...the spaghetti squash, the meatloaf, as a sauce for veggies... I'm really enjoying having a sauce to eat.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other vegetable sauces to make? I make mayo. But what other sauce is free of ingredients fromThe List?

GottaSki Mentor

If you can tolerate vinegar - I make a thick dressing in the blender with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, a couple large handfuls of cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper - honey or agave is a nice addition. Works great as salad dressing or a sauce to add flavor to left over meats or vegies. Have also made it with basil instead of cilantro. Adding flavor to a restrictive diet is essential.

Yesterday was very hot here - I don't do well in heat so dinner was a large bowl of steamed broccoli.

I think I"ll blend up a new sauce today - thanks for the little nudge :)

GottaSki Mentor

Dinner = Crustless Jack-O-Lantern Pie

No, I'm not having dessert for dinner - it is an experiment - really...it is ;)

I used plain old white sugar in these pumpkin pies and must find out how the sugar effects me as I have had nothing but agave or honey for many, many, many months.

Also a first - substituting coconut milk for dairy in pumpkin pie - so if it is a flop I'll be having baked chicken and sweet potato fries!

AnnJay Apprentice

GottaSki, thanks for the sauce rec! Good idea I'm going to have to do that.

How did the pie work out?

I still have to make a practice paleo pie soon in preparation for our Thanksgiving dinner. I made a Caramel Pecan Bar with basically pecans and dates. There were a few tablespoons of coconut milk, and that seemed ok for me so I bought more. Lots of recipes are calling for coconut milk in place of dairy. Homemade cashew milk can be too nutty for the other flavors sometimes.

Yesterday I made a crock pot sweet/sour pork dish. It was a made up recipe, based on BBQ but without any tomatoes. I did, however, use chili powder spices. That may have hit my stomach in a bad way? I'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

Confession: oh, I've been a bad girl. All that Halloween candy in front of me, tempting me, how much can a girl take? Then a new candy showed up, attractively packaged, of a snickers bar with almonds instead of peanuts. It said gluten free. But it did have soy, corn, and probably dairy, basically almost everything on my list to avoid. I savored that candy in 3 tiny bites! And woke up hurting a little. Tonight, I think I'll just have wine, LOL!

GottaSki Mentor

The pie experiment went well - coconut milk is a great sub for evaporated milk in the recipe I've always used (back of Libby's canned pumpkin) -- only problem was my fresh pumpkin puree wasn't as thick as canned so they set, but I'm going to make adjustment for the next round (I have a lot of fresh pumpkin left otherwise I would just use canned pure pummpkin puree for Thanksgiving)

Dinner was thick pumpkin soup (garlic,onion,thyme,etc - would have preferred a recipe I found online for spicy soup, but that will have to wait until I get nightshades back).

Ok I'm done cooking pumpkins for a bit - except maybe some paleo pumpkin muffins....oh that sounds good - late breakfast today ;)

PS - feel free to call me Lisa

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Would you share your chop suey sauce recipe? I haven't eaten Chinese food for months, since avoiding corn starch and soy sauce.

Sorry..I haven't been online for a few days..

Basic Chop Suey- pork or beef could be substituted for chicken

I find it easiest to cut up all veggies and the meat before starting to cook. This cooks pretty fast and needs your full attention.

2 boneless/skinless chicken breats cut up into bite sized pieces

1 large onion chopped

garlic powder 1teas. or to taste (more is better)

salt or seasoning salt

3 ribs of celery cut on diagonal into slices

1 red pepper chopped or cut into slices(can be omitted)

1 lb, white mushrooms washed well and sliced

1.5 lbs fresh bean sprouts

Cut the meat from 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts in small pieces and brown in a bit of coconut oil. Add chopped onion and continue to brown at fairly high heat. Season with garlic powder and salt to taste. (Seasoning salt adds a bit more flavor if you tolerate it).

Add sliced mushrooms, red pepper, and celery and stir and cook until vegetables start to wilt a bit. Add bean sprouts and stir in. Turn heat down and allow bean sprouts to relax. Add 1 cup water if needed for sauce. (sometimes the veggies create enough juice on their own).

Serve over rice.

AnnJay Apprentice

Thanks for the recipe, Bubbas Mom!

We ate an AWESOME dinner tonight. Sautéed chicken served a top puréed parsnips and topped with sautéed leeks, kale, and bacon. DH named it restaurant quality! Recipe is from everyday paleo website. Really super!

Archived