#16 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

Yay crunchy apples! I definitely need to get me a dehydrator, can't wait to
make dried fruits and veggies and beef jerky!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 AnnJay

AnnJay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Spaghetti squash with ground beef, egg white (leftover from making mayo) and brown rice pasta

Chicken, mayo, mixed veggies

Spaghetti squash with carrot sauce

And, SWEET! I made a paleo dessert with nuts and dates called caramel pecan bars. Awesome!! It was such a joy to eat something sweet for dessert. The puréed dates would probably taste good on an apple, too. A recipe for the holidays, certainly!

#18 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

Yay crunchy apples! I definitely need to get me a dehydrator, can't wait to
make dried fruits and veggies and beef jerky!

Love, love, love the new dehydrator - pears and two types of apples great thus far. Looking for way to safely marinate jerky - may just make a few batches for my men without so many intolerances first. The apple chips alone make me very happy. Strange - granny smiths took 6 hours to crunchy - gala and pears are dried at 6, but going to try them go a bit longer - really loving the crunch. Also, all instructions I found said my fruit would turn very brown without soaking in citrus juice first -- I can't have citrus so I dried my fruit naked...didn't turn brown - tanned a bit, but didn't detract from enjoyment :)

Eggs with chopped cilantro, chopped broccoli and spinach for breakfast this morning

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#19 AnnJay

AnnJay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

LOVE the idea of a food dehydrator!

Ate leftovers again tonight. The carrot sauce goes well with everything...the spaghetti squash, the meatloaf, as a sauce for veggies... I'm really enjoying having a sauce to eat.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other vegetable sauces to make? I make mayo. But what other sauce is free of ingredients fromThe List?

#20 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

If you can tolerate vinegar - I make a thick dressing in the blender with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, a couple large handfuls of cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper - honey or agave is a nice addition. Works great as salad dressing or a sauce to add flavor to left over meats or vegies. Have also made it with basil instead of cilantro. Adding flavor to a restrictive diet is essential.

Yesterday was very hot here - I don't do well in heat so dinner was a large bowl of steamed broccoli.

I think I"ll blend up a new sauce today - thanks for the little nudge :)

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#21 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Dinner = Crustless Jack-O-Lantern Pie

No, I'm not having dessert for dinner - it is an experiment - really...it is ;)

I used plain old white sugar in these pumpkin pies and must find out how the sugar effects me as I have had nothing but agave or honey for many, many, many months.

Also a first - substituting coconut milk for dairy in pumpkin pie - so if it is a flop I'll be having baked chicken and sweet potato fries!

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#22 AnnJay

AnnJay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

GottaSki, thanks for the sauce rec! Good idea I'm going to have to do that.

How did the pie work out?
I still have to make a practice paleo pie soon in preparation for our Thanksgiving dinner. I made a Caramel Pecan Bar with basically pecans and dates. There were a few tablespoons of coconut milk, and that seemed ok for me so I bought more. Lots of recipes are calling for coconut milk in place of dairy. Homemade cashew milk can be too nutty for the other flavors sometimes.

Yesterday I made a crock pot sweet/sour pork dish. It was a made up recipe, based on BBQ but without any tomatoes. I did, however, use chili powder spices. That may have hit my stomach in a bad way? I'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

Confession: oh, I've been a bad girl. All that Halloween candy in front of me, tempting me, how much can a girl take? Then a new candy showed up, attractively packaged, of a snickers bar with almonds instead of peanuts. It said gluten free. But it did have soy, corn, and probably dairy, basically almost everything on my list to avoid. I savored that candy in 3 tiny bites! And woke up hurting a little. Tonight, I think I'll just have wine, LOL!

#23 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

The pie experiment went well - coconut milk is a great sub for evaporated milk in the recipe I've always used (back of Libby's canned pumpkin) -- only problem was my fresh pumpkin puree wasn't as thick as canned so they set, but I'm going to make adjustment for the next round (I have a lot of fresh pumpkin left otherwise I would just use canned pure pummpkin puree for Thanksgiving)

Dinner was thick pumpkin soup (garlic,onion,thyme,etc - would have preferred a recipe I found online for spicy soup, but that will have to wait until I get nightshades back).

Ok I'm done cooking pumpkins for a bit - except maybe some paleo pumpkin muffins....oh that sounds good - late breakfast today ;)

PS - feel free to call me Lisa

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#24 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Would you share your chop suey sauce recipe? I haven't eaten Chinese food for months, since avoiding corn starch and soy sauce.

Sorry..I haven't been online for a few days..
Basic Chop Suey- pork or beef could be substituted for chicken
I find it easiest to cut up all veggies and the meat before starting to cook. This cooks pretty fast and needs your full attention.

2 boneless/skinless chicken breats cut up into bite sized pieces
1 large onion chopped
garlic powder 1teas. or to taste (more is better)
salt or seasoning salt
3 ribs of celery cut on diagonal into slices
1 red pepper chopped or cut into slices(can be omitted)
1 lb, white mushrooms washed well and sliced
1.5 lbs fresh bean sprouts

Cut the meat from 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts in small pieces and brown in a bit of coconut oil. Add chopped onion and continue to brown at fairly high heat. Season with garlic powder and salt to taste. (Seasoning salt adds a bit more flavor if you tolerate it).
Add sliced mushrooms, red pepper, and celery and stir and cook until vegetables start to wilt a bit. Add bean sprouts and stir in. Turn heat down and allow bean sprouts to relax. Add 1 cup water if needed for sauce. (sometimes the veggies create enough juice on their own).
Serve over rice.

#25 AnnJay

AnnJay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the recipe, Bubbas Mom!

We ate an AWESOME dinner tonight. Sautéed chicken served a top puréed parsnips and topped with sautéed leeks, kale, and bacon. DH named it restaurant quality! Recipe is from everyday paleo website. Really super!

#26 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Grilled Ahi - by one very happy fisherman
Spaghetti Squash with pesto for me
gluten-free pasta with butter, parm and garlic for my men

Fried apples a la Bunnie for all :)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#27 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Grilled Ahi - by one very happy fisherman
Spaghetti Squash with pesto for me
gluten-free pasta with butter, parm and garlic for my men

Fried apples a la Bunnie for all :)

HAHAHAHAA!!!!!! They're addictive, aren't they? I throw in tons of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Although 'a la Bunnie' kinda sounds like I'm being roasted on a spit.... :ph34r:
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#28 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

HAHAHAHAA!!!!!! They're addictive, aren't they? I throw in tons of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Although 'a la Bunnie' kinda sounds like I'm being roasted on a spit.... :ph34r:

Never!

I also use a lot of cinnamon and last night the nutmeg got added in - going to increase it next time - which may be this afternoon - not addictive at all :rolleyes:

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#29 AnnJay

AnnJay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Black eye peas cooked with gluten-free smoked sausage
Collard greens and bacon
Both cooked in chicken stock

I also made pasta for a group. I cooked my rice pasta and defrosted a carrot sauce. Everyone else had regular pasta and tomato sauce. Oh, and I made meatballs for everyone.

My apple dessert of late is to combine it with dates and nuts. It tastes like a taffy apple!

Today I will freeze some of the above meals and I'm wondering what to cook next?

#30 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

Making unstuffed egg rolls today. Too lazy to get out the rice paper wrappers and fry.
Brown ground chicken and break up as it cooks. Add a package of cole slaw cabbage and wilt. Spinkle with salt and generous amount of garlic powder. Serve with sauce drizzled over. Sauce is a bit of pineapple juice mixed with vinegar, cane sugar, and water. Thickened with a bit of GMO free corn starch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: