83 replies to this topic

#46 Skittles

Skittles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Can you share your recipe for your sweet and sour pork dish?

GottaSki, thanks for the sauce rec! Good idea I'm going to have to do that.

How did the pie work out?
I still have to make a practice paleo pie soon in preparation for our Thanksgiving dinner. I made a Caramel Pecan Bar with basically pecans and dates. There were a few tablespoons of coconut milk, and that seemed ok for me so I bought more. Lots of recipes are calling for coconut milk in place of dairy. Homemade cashew milk can be too nutty for the other flavors sometimes.

Yesterday I made a crock pot sweet/sour pork dish. It was a made up recipe, based on BBQ but without any tomatoes. I did, however, use chili powder spices. That may have hit my stomach in a bad way? I'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

Confession: oh, I've been a bad girl. All that Halloween candy in front of me, tempting me, how much can a girl take? Then a new candy showed up, attractively packaged, of a snickers bar with almonds instead of peanuts. It said gluten free. But it did have soy, corn, and probably dairy, basically almost everything on my list to avoid. I savored that candy in 3 tiny bites! And woke up hurting a little. Tonight, I think I'll just have wine, LOL!

Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Skittles

Skittles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

I would love your muffin recipes please! I need something new for breakfast

What do you all have for breakfast? as your carb/starch I am getting tired of pumpkin, cranberries and apples in things. I have a few muffin recipes that are corn, potato and tapioca-free, by alteration, originally or use very little starch compared to most. I could share if anyone wanted. I often have mufffins, but as I said, tired of the same old recipes. I also have steel cut oatmeal or leftover squash or sweet potato, occasionally a bowl of rice with some kale sprinkled on top. I don't eat eggs unless thay are an ingredient in baked goods so that makes breakfast a bit more challenging.

Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

#48 AnnJay

AnnJay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

Can you share your recipe for your sweet and sour pork dish?

Oh well it didn't turn out so well. I did use chili powder and hoped that the nightshade connection wouldn't be so strong. But it upset my stomach. I don't think I have it written down anywhere now. It wasn't so great. I'll have to try again with some cider vinegar and honey. Sorry to disappoint.

But thanks for joining us here! We can always use new food ideas!

Yesterday I made a bread recipe from everyday paleo. It's basically almond butter n eggs. It's pretty good. It's just too easy to eat too many nuts with these paleo recipes.

#49 Eva Bee

Eva Bee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hey everyone! I'm so excited to have found this thread! I had no idea this combination of allergies was common - let's unite!

I'm also a chef so this makes things both easier and harder. I cook all day so I'm not always thrilled to have to cook my own food, however it helps because I can improvise meals to taste great with all my experience. I'll surely be posting what I come up with.

I'm going to try and make a gluten free dairy free mac and cheese. Been craving comfort food!

Does anyone know if sorghum flour is just as bad as say buckwheat/corn? I've been straying from my diet so I'm not sure if it's because I ate a bunch of pizza made of sorghum/tapioca or not.. hmm

Breakfast: almond yoghurt smoothie with blueberries and mango
Lunch: roasted parsnips and squash with Serbian chevaps with a peanut butter and chocolate chip cookie (sorghum)
Dinner: Miso, Chicken and Kale soup with Vermicelli

#50 Eva Bee

Eva Bee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Making unstuffed egg rolls today. Too lazy to get out the rice paper wrappers and fry.
Brown ground chicken and break up as it cooks. Add a package of cole slaw cabbage and wilt. Spinkle with salt and generous amount of garlic powder. Serve with sauce drizzled over. Sauce is a bit of pineapple juice mixed with vinegar, cane sugar, and water. Thickened with a bit of GMO free corn starch.

Have you tried frying rice wraps? I've been wanting to try that but I'm not sure how that would turn out... What I also see in my local Chinatown stores are beancurd sheets.. now I'm supposed to avoid legumes and beans as well but I'm just wondering if I could use rice paper instead!

#51 Eva Bee

Eva Bee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Yesterday I made pizza! The almond-coconut-egg crust covered with a garlic sauce and topped with artichokes and mushrooms was delicious! I did include a bit of grated mozzarella cheese, as I can have a bit of dairy now and again without the rash appearing. I just ate some again for breakfast. YUM!

The kids ate regular cheese pizza with tomato sauce. It looked delicious.

Tonight I'll be cooking chicken soup with some pastina for the kids.

Where did you get the crust recipe? Did the coconut flavour overpower the flavour of everything else?

#52 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Does anyone know if sorghum flour is just as bad as say buckwheat/corn? I've been straying from my diet so I'm not sure if it's because I ate a bunch of pizza made of sorghum/tapioca or not.. hmm

Welcome to the board, Eva Bee.

When you say "just as bad as" I assume these both are a problem with you? I am with you on the corn, but sorghum and buckwheat are my two go-to" grains since I can't eat millet, quinoa, amaranth or soy.

Have you tried frying rice wraps? I've been wanting to try that but I'm not sure how that would turn out... What I also see in my local Chinatown stores are beancurd sheets.. now I'm supposed to avoid legumes and beans as well but I'm just wondering if I could use rice paper instead!

Yes, I have tried frying rice wraps. They are a bit fragile, but it's doable. I haven't seen the beancurd sheets and I wouldn't use them because I don't do legumes either.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#53 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

I've fried the rice wraps and can say..don't overfill them...and be sure to give them a light squeeze before dropping into the oil so they stay together. Some people use two, but I found one worked well if I didn't overstuff them. There's a good video on how to work with them on youtube.

We had a thread going about them a while back
http://www.celiac.co...rs-gluten-free/

#54 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

I make a recipe that we call Caveman Stew. It's pretty simple to make and my 2 gluten eaters really like it too.
Caveman Stew
2 chicken breasts-bone in
3 bay leaves
1 32oz carton Meijer Naturals chicken stock (has no MSG or GMOs)
1 large onion chopped
3 stalks celery, sliced
3 cloves garlic put through garlic press, or finely chopped-fresh please!
1 lg turnip or 2 smaller ones cubed
1 parsnip, sliced
5 carrots, sliced
mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
small stalk broccoli
sea salt
Place chicken in large pot and add stock and bay leaves. Bring to boil, then turn down and simmer for an hour or so. Add chopped onion, celery, and garlic. Simmer additional hour. Add turnip, parsnip, mushrooms, and carrots. Remove chicken and let cool on plate. Remove skin and bones. Tear chicken into chunks and pinch to make stringy. Add back to stew. (this makes the chicken sop up the liquid). Once veggies are softened. add the cut up stalk of broccoli and add tops just at the end so they don't break up too much. Serve.
* You can add or subtract veggies. This recipe is very forgiving.

#55 AnnJay

AnnJay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hi Evabee and welcome!

I've been making a few things with coconut and coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut cream, all as a dairy alternative. In some things a slight coconut flavor shines through. Not enough to be a turnoff. And I'm not one to usually like the flavor. Like, you know those candy bars that have coconut in them? Always a thumbs down for me. Anyway, it was a paleo recipe for the pizza crust and it worked out well. I would tell you which one but I am out of town right now and can't look up my recipe file. If you were to search paleo pizza crust coconut you would probably find a few contenders to try!

For breakfast today I ate a "bread" made from almond butter, eggs, honey and baking soda. It was really good, and my kids LOVE it too! I found the recipe at everyday paleo.com. But, I doubled it and cooked it WAY longer than the recipe states. Anyway, it was nice to have a breakfast that didn't require on the spot cooking!

#56 Eva Bee

Eva Bee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Welcome to the board, Eva Bee.

When you say "just as bad as" I assume these both are a problem with you? I am with you on the corn, but sorghum and buckwheat are my two go-to" grains since I can't eat millet, quinoa, amaranth or soy.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I have been on my reduced grain diet for a couple months so I'm just trying to find out ways to know what grains I can tolerate. How did you? What symptoms appeared for you? I guess it would be best to reintroduce grains one at a time to see if I react?

#57 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Yes, from past experience I would definitely go slow with introduction of new things. I just barged in, full-speed ahead, and then had to backtrack a lot and experiment to find out what was causing my rashes, itching, hives, etc., which only appeared once I was well rid of gluten, I might add.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#58 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

ditto as Mushroom for me

except I currently have no grains...I think she was able to get a couple back.

when I challenged I did it one food item with one week apart -- only grain that I did not react to was rice -- but later did have to remove it as well.

am currently waiting a solid year from when I removed rice again to try attempt any challenges

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#59 Eva Bee

Eva Bee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Merry Christmas everyone!

Don't asky why I'm posting on Christmas... but I was too excited about the brown rice crust I made for my tourtiere!! (French Canadian meat pie with ground pork and clove, sage & thyme... usually it's a mix of meat). It's so delicious!!! Oh and I nailed a cranberry ketchup recipe.. I will share that with everyone next week.

#60 ncdave

ncdave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Merry Christmas Eva, Oh I'm having me some fried yellow squash in olive oil.
gluten free 12/11
dairy free 2/12
soy free 10/12
corn free 10/12
nightshade free 10/12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: