22 replies to this topic

#16 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

At a doctor's appt. yesterday she told me that supplementing 1k iu of d/day for a year equals apx. 10 point increase in a year.

Soooo....for us that are severely deficient it will probably take time to get in the higher range of normal, even if we are on high doses. We do generally have absorption issues :).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Why does your nutritionist have you on a high protein diet? When you are healing the last thing you need is unnecessary restrictions. You need carbs and grains for energy!!! My nutritionist is a college professor in nutrition and she is against high protein diets for a whole lot of reasons, and for someone who has been sick those reasons are all doubled. No wonder you're so tired. Get off the high protein diet and eat carbs!

It's too late for a biopsy. You are already gluten free and unless you have zero gluten issues you will get very sick going back on gluten long enough for a biopsy. A biopsy is looking for intestinal damage, which means you have to intentionally cause destruction to your intestines with gluten to get a positive. You have to eat a lot of it for many weeks to do enough damage to show up on those shoddy tests.

Eat healthy, whole foods, but please eat plenty of carbs to give you energy.

Healing takes time. It took me 6 months to have one symptom free day. Give it more time.

People with autoimmune disease (I'm going to assume you have celiac and the test was a false negative), tend to get dehydrated. I needed to replace my electrolytes for several months, I drank good old Gatorade and it helped a ton. I tried other electrolyte supplements and all of them made me sick.

Hang in there. It will get better.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#18 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

I know it sounds easy to add vitamins and minerals....but, really, if you have celiac, you won't be able to absorb these nutrients no matter how much you supplement. If you decide to take Vitamin D, please consider taking Natural Vitamin D from Country Life, because it provides both Vitamin D and A (in the correct ratio) as well as medium-chain triglycerides to help you absorb the vitamins. I took 50,000 iu of Vitamin D for six months with absolutely no change in my Vitamin D levels because I couldn't absorb. However, I've taken only 400 iu of the Country Life brand for six months, and now my level is at 53. This is the highest level I've had in my entire life!!

If your ferritin level is low, you might consider asking to receive intravenous iron--simply supplementing with iron may prove futile if you can't absorb it.

#19 DavinaRN

DavinaRN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Also consider counting your calories, you may not be taking in enough if you eats lots of veggies and fruits
Gluten Free since October 2012
Negative blood work, positive dietary response
Endocrinologist offered referral to GI if I needed formal diagnosis to follow the diet, otherwise just pass on wheat, barley & rye
and save my money

#20 glutenfree015

glutenfree015

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

I just got some of my blood results back, and my ferritin has finally gone up for the first time in over a year! I’m so excited! 3 months gluten and free and it has gone up 16 points. Still waiting on the vitamin D results, but I started taking 5000 IU a day last Friday and I have been feeling a little better since Monday, so I’m hoping it is connected. I’ll post back when I find out if I am deficient. My school is putting me in touch with a nutritionist to address the weight loss concerns.

Thank you everyone for your input and encouragement. One of my close friends was just diagnosed with Crohn’s, I feel lucky to have a disease that can be largely controlled through diet. Best wishes to you all and your health!

#21 Framefunnyfarm

Framefunnyfarm

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

I am hacking into your post:) I am a newbie and I cannot agree enough with what the other posters are saying!!! Hydration, high calories, and no cross contamination! I am curious to know what your vitamin levels come back as. Did they test your B levels also and I missed it in your posting?

#22 glutenfree015

glutenfree015

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

My vitamins all came back very good. My ferritin was a 38 (up from 22 in August), my B12 was actually higher than the normal range, and my folate was good too. They’re testing for Vitamin D now, which I have a hunch is low.

#23 glutenfree015

glutenfree015

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Also my vitamin D is low! It was within the normal range, but at the very bottom. I have a feeling that explains why I have been so tired and achy. Thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: