This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Substitue For Golden Mushroom Soup?

ndw3363

ndw3363 Contributor

I have a few recipes that I miss terribly, but that I haven't made in years because they call for using Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup. Anyone know of a substitute or how I could make it myself? Crockpot season is starting, so all the old recipes are calling to me! :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

We use 'Pacific Natural Foods' Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Celery in several recipes and have used 'Gluten Free Cafe' cream soups too.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Like Lisa, I have used the Pacific Natural soups (Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken). These are condensed soups. I've also used Progresso's Creamy Mushroom for certain recipes. It's not condensed and the mushrooms are slices and therefore "recognizeable". I actually have to puree it when I use it because nobody in my family will eat mushrooms . . . if they see them ;)

ndw3363 Contributor

I use those as well for Cream of mushroom recipes. But the Golden mushroom soup has such a different flavor that I have no idea how to recreate it. Thanks for the replies. Funny about hiding mushrooms from your family - I made a vegetable lasagna for my family once using chunks of portabellos - my young cousin asked what they were (she was afraid of mushrooms) and her mother told her it was meat. She bought it and loved it. Poor kid! :-)

Darn210 Enthusiast

Just looked up the ingredients:

Beef Stock, Water, Mushrooms, Tomato Puree, Wheat Flour, Modified Food Starch, Salt, Sauterne Wine . . . .

So yeah, our suggestions are nothing like it . . .

I don't know of another product like that . . . I'll look next time I'm at the store.

Darn210 Enthusiast

I think you're going to have to make it yourself. I'm a person that will "wing it" based on the list of ingredients...but if you want a recipe to start with, you could start here:

www.mushroom-appreciation.com/golden-mushroom-soup.html (link wouldn't work, you'll have to cut and paste this address into your browser)

It includes milk which I would leave out and then at the bottom talks about adding diced tomatos/paste to make it like Campbell's...and of course use gluten-free flour.

GottaSki Mentor

Just looked up the ingredients:

Beef Stock, Water, Mushrooms, Tomato Puree, Wheat Flour, Modified Food Starch, Salt, Sauterne Wine . . . .

So yeah, our suggestions are nothing like it . . .

Janet's post made me curious as we love to doctor gluten-free things to replicate our family's favorites...what recipes did you use Campbell's Golden Mushroom in? We can always use more ideas for the crock pot :)

I believe Sauterne Wine is equivalent to "white cooking wine". I'd try doctoring gluten-free cream of mushroom with a touch of cooking wine or chablis, gluten-free beef boullion and tomato paste.

Granted...the base of campbells "golden" soup is beef broth rather than cream, never the less...you may get a very similar taste - just a bit more creamy???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Janet's post made me curious as we love to doctor gluten-free things to replicate our family's favorites...what recipes did you use Campbell's Golden Mushroom in? We can always use more ideas for the crock pot :)

I believe Sauterne Wine is equivalent to "white cooking wine". I'd try doctoring gluten-free cream of mushroom with a touch of cooking wine or chablis, gluten-free beef boullion and tomato paste.

Granted...the base of campbells "golden" soup is beef broth rather than cream, never the less...you may get a very similar taste - just a bit more creamy???

Sauterne wine and cooking wine are both dreadful in cooking. I did an experiment with both and the outcomes were very grim indeed. The only wine one should use is a wine you can easily drink - not the most expensive by any stretch. Any $10 would do. When cooking with wine, you want it to enhance the flavour of what you are cooking - not mask or ruin it. Often when cooking with wine it must be reduced first. Reducing a gross "wine" to begin with it counterproductive. :huh:

I haven't used a condensed soup in a million years as I strongly dislike them and always do my own thing. You can make your favourite crockpot recipes *better* than before from scratch. What recipes would you like to replicate? We'll be happy to help. :)

• 5 years later...
Lori P. Newbie

I have one crockpot recipe that just isn't the same without using Golden Mushroom soup.  Open Original Shared Link  If the link doesn't work, go to www.justapinch.com and search for "crock pot roast with gravy".  It's super easy and a wonderful fall/winter dinner.  I serve it with mashed potatoes instead of pasta.  But again, I need to find a gluten-free recipe to make the Golden Mushroom soup before I can eat it again!  For everyone here, I hope we can figure this out!

Archived