This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is A Good Probiotic?

AandGsmomma

AandGsmomma Apprentice

I have been reading a lot of threads that talk about taking a probiotic. What is a good brand and how much/ when do I need to take it? Does it make a difference if its liquid or powder/ tablet form? Anything I should know about taking it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Mine contains: , olgofructose enriched inulin, guar gum, Lactobacillus reuteri, and Saccharonmyces boulardi. I take it right away in the morning as soon as I get up. One should take it with a glass of water. I am excited about this product since all other probiotics didn't seem to help me.

Oh, I was trying to cut and paste and failed for the last half hour. I will summarize the best I can.

One of the probiotics in this likes to feast on yeast and some other bad guys. The inulin and guar gum provide food for the Probiotics. I buy this from my chiropractor and it could be available from other practioners. They come in capsules.

Both my MD and my chiro recommeded probiotics for me. I have my son going to an osteopathic doctor and he recommened probiotics for him. When I showed him the ingredients in the Nutri spec product, he was well satisfied with them. Nutri spec has a website one can look at. Within the last year or so they began marketing this product. They told interesting things about why each ingredient was in there. I wish I could have found that, but alas I didn't. If I do find it, I will be back.

Diana

SMDBill Apprentice

I researched and one thing that stood out was a lot of recommendation that it be in capsule form. That way it survives the stomach and breaks down in the intestine, where it's needed. Most articles seem to suggest the more variety of probiotics within the supplement the better, and the higher cell count the better. Mine is not one of the highest, but it's from VitaCost and has 10 strains with 20 billion cells. THere are others from GNC, VitaCost, VitaminShoppe and other places with as high as 70-75 billion that are daily doses. And there are also weekly doses (200 billion cells each) that are supposed to help heal, but I have never tried them so I can't say whether they work or not.

I'm sure not an expert and there are many varieties and brands. I did notice the ones in stores are often much weaker than you can get at a speciality store like GNC or others. I would recommend a strong probiotic if you buy one because although the pills have billions of cells, the gut has over 100 trillion...so the pills are very small in relation when the gut is damaged.

IrishHeart Veteran

Two I recommend based on my own experience with having to repopulate my gut with beneficial bacteria (I had no detectable "good guys" when tested upon diagnosis) are:

(1) Culturelle (gluten-free and DF) because it contains lactobaccillus GG, which was studied extensively at Tufts Univ. and is a strain highly recommended by gastroenterologists (including my own)

and

(2) Custom Probtioics 6-strain. It comes in powder form, so you can take a small dose at first and ramp up, in case you have some

stomach issues.

Most people do not, but some people report bloating when adding probiotics. This is temporary.

I take them first thing in the AM on an empty stomach or you can take them just before bedtime.

BabsV Enthusiast

My nutritionist recommended Align which I've been using since August (after trying a few other ones...) I really really like it -- it has eliminated the occasional episodes of 'gut gurgle' that I was having every once in a while. It is pricey but I think it well worth the cost for me!

mamaw Community Regular

Probiotics should be changed up every month or so. Meaning don't use one brand forever, change of to another brand.

I never got relief from Align or Culturelle but they are easy finds..

I use Dr Ohirra's professional formula & ezymatic therapy pearls at present.There are many available that are good you need to find which ones work for your system....

Digestive enzymes is also good to use. Forme, I use Digestive gold..

Mom-of-Two Contributor

I am curious about switching probiotics on a regular basis- I have been giving my kids Culturelle for years- daily, for immune health. Makes a huge difference and they are very healthy kids. I asked my GI doc about this issue and sent an email to Culturelle, both said there is no reason to change strains- and Culturelle is the only one with LGG so I just keep giving it to them!

I myself have been taking RenewLife critical care 50billion.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I am curious about switching probiotics on a regular basis- I have been giving my kids Culturelle for years- daily, for immune health. Makes a huge difference and they are very healthy kids. I asked my GI doc about this issue and sent an email to Culturelle, both said there is no reason to change strains- and Culturelle is the only one with LGG so I just keep giving it to them!

I myself have been taking RenewLife critical care 50billion.

What is LGG please?

IrishHeart Veteran

What is LGG please?

Lactobacillus GG (Lactobacillus G.G., strain ATCC 53103) is a bacterium that occurs naturally in the human digestive tract. This strain of bacteria was first isolated by two Boston scientists, Professors Sherwood Gorbach and Barry Goldin, who were searching for a strain of lactobacillus that could colonize the human intestine and thereby exert the beneficial effects which Metchnikoff had hoped to produce by his yogurt cultures.

Open Original Shared Link

julieb Newbie

Hi there. My doctor suggested a brand called Genestra. It is gluten and lactose free, as well as others, so it is likely that it won't bother your stomach. I can't seem to find it in Canada but it may be available wherever you live.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

My new ND just put me on xymogen ep's probiomax plus df.

It's pharmaceutical grade gut support.

That reminds me...I need some oj to choke it down....

I think it's ok stuff. It's a powder and that's the bad part. I've been pretty regular lately!

Archived