13 replies to this topic

#1 KikiB

KikiB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

I am scheduled for Tuesday. My instructions say nothing by mouth after midnight. Does that include water? I don't think I can go without water for 12 hours!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:31 AM

Call your GI doctors office and ask the nurse.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Took forever for my doctor's office to call me back. I just wanted to know how everyone else has dealt with this. It's so close, but I'm so tempted to chicken out. The idea of the procedure is kind of freaking me out.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with your original query. It has been awhile since I had mine done and don't remember whether it was allowed or not.
Hopefully the dr's office gave you a clear answer.
Try not to worry about the tests. The prep is not pleasant but the procedures are usually very easy. Most don't remember anything of them except going to sleep and waking up in the recovery room. Just do be sure someone goes with you as you won't be allowed to drive for the rest of the day.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

I was really scared before mine last month but it was fine. Just a few more days it will be out of the way x
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Hi Kiki - water is fine!

The usual instructions say clear liquids and jello fine -- just no red, blue, purple jello! I didn't feel like anything but water during the prep.

Honestly, the colon prep is the worst part of the whole deal. You will likely be given sedation meds - not anesthesia - that will make you sleepy and forget most of the procedure.

The information to be gained is very much worth having them done. If you don't have them done there will be a lot of unanswered questions hanging out there.

Even if the tests end up showing nothing or negative - at least you know any damage to your system was not severe.

You have already passed the most important test - you know your health improves gluten-free - these tests will give you more info and I think that info will be comforting in the months and years to come.

Hang in there - only a few more days and you'll be able to remove gluten completely :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#7 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

I was really scared before mine last month but it was fine. Just a few more days it will be out of the way x

Thank you! I'm a little surprised at how nervous I am!

#8 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Even if the tests end up showing nothing or negative - at least you know any damage to your system was not severe.

You have already passed the most important test - you know your health improves gluten-free - these tests will give you more info and I think that info will be comforting in the months and years to come.

Hang in there - only a few more days and you'll be able to remove gluten completely :)

Thanks, Lisa! I didn't think I was going to be such a chicken about it. I'm not looking forward to the prep, but I'm also nervous about the procedures. My insurance company approved the anesthetic, so I'll be out, but definitely feeling like a scaredy-cat. :blink:

#9 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

You are neither chicken nor scaredy-cat. What rational person would not be nervous about doctors sending cameras into places that are generally better left alone. :blink:

I was the first time, but not any of the subsequent times. Just the unknown getting to you - I'd bet on Wednesday you'll be ready to tell others with similar fears that it really was much easier than you thought it would be.

Just imagine Mushroom waving pom poms, IrishHeart jumping up and down and me doing cartwheels to entertain you as you drift off into la-la land on Tuesday :P

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#10 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

Just imagine Mushroom waving pom poms, IrishHeart jumping up and down and me doing cartwheels to entertain you as you drift off into la-la land on Tuesday :P

That's so sweet, it made me tear up. That's exactly what I'm going to think about! :wub:

#11 nicoleashley

nicoleashley

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

nothing by mouth after midnight means just that, nothing by mouth after midnight. You can have clear liquids up until midnight. You can only have sips of water to take medication like blood pressure medication if you absolutely need it. Don't worry about becoming dehydrated, they will start an IV and give you fluids as soon as you get to wherever the endoscopy is being done. Good luck.

#12 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

I had my tests yesterday. Should have results in 10 days or so. I had gluten free chicken soup when I got home, but my stomach has hurt ever since. Still hurts. Is that normal?

#13 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hmmmm....what type of hurt/pain? One of my endos I felt some discomfort when I ate for a day or so after - not sure but thought it might be where they took samples. Do you know if they took samples from different parts -- like your stomach in addition to small intestine?

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#14 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Hmmmm....what type of hurt/pain? One of my endos I felt some discomfort when I ate for a day or so after - not sure but thought it might be where they took samples. Do you know if they took samples from different parts -- like your stomach in addition to small intestine?

I do know she took samples from other areas, but I don't know where, although I thought it was the colon. But I don't really know. Maybe that explains it though.

Of course, she told me about the biopsies when I was coming out of the anesthesia -- so no wonder I don't remember!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: