This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Ingredients

deb-

deb- Newbie

I have been trying to be gluten free because I am gluten sensitive, but I still run into problems. I have the following list of ingredients I used to cook yesterday, and wonder, what did I do wrong, because I was sick the rest of the day. Please let me know your thoughts.

Hamburger

Heinz Ketsup

Hellman's Mayo

Hunt's Tomato sauce

Hunt's diced tomatoes

Bob Mills macaroni (rice and gluten free)

Onion

Garlic

Salt

Pepper

I looked up these ingredients and they are all supposed to be gluten free. Help.......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

Four seperate things come to mind. First, are you doing everything possible to prevent CC in your kitchen? Second, was the hamburger fresh or frozen? If frozen, was it purchased prior to being gluten free and possibly contaminated? Third, crumbs in the mayo? Lastly, whenever I use any condiments in the kitchen such as mustard or ketchup, or touch anything from the refrigerator door... or the refrigerator for that matter, I wash my hands. Because people are touching bread, then the bottles. Very likely source of CC in my house at least, I don't know what you've got going on in your kitchen but I know what would happen here.

kareng Grand Master

To add to Ad's stuff - did you use an old colander to drain the pasta? Its really hard to get all the little bits of pasta out of the holes.

If you are new to gluten free, you may just need time to heal. You could have an issue with another ingredient not related to gluten.

Its possible it was something you ate earlier in the day, too.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Your ingredients look fine so I think it would be an issue or cross contamination as mentioned earlier . . . or you need more time to heal . . .or sensitive to something else. I will also add that when my daughter first went gluten free she had a hard time with tomato products . . . kind of tough for a girl who eats ketchup on EVERYTHING. She didn't have to give it up entirely, but she cut way back.

deb- Newbie

Thank you to everyone. Sorry for the late reply, I have been out in the country.

I think that you are right about cross contamination. My boyfriend uses the mayo, and probably is not careful at all about contamination.

I have bought new mayo, and I have clearly labeled it for him not to use it. And I will look for more contamination areas.

I really appreciate the help. I will give this another try to really make sure I am not reacting to something else in the recipe.

Thanks to all of you again.

I live in Texas City, TX and there are very few options for eating out here. Since I can't eat fish or shellfish either, I have very few options. Have to go 30 miles or more to eat at a real gluten free resteraunt here. Then it is really not worth the trouble with the horrible traffic. Even the doctors near here, have no clue about this disease. They know about it, but do not have very good advice. The best advice I received was to go online and find a good gluten free web site!

Anyway, I will keep on plodding through this disease.

Thanks again.

kareng Grand Master

Thank you to everyone. Sorry for the late reply, I have been out in the country.

I think that you are right about cross contamination. My boyfriend uses the mayo, and probably is not careful at all about contamination.

I have bought new mayo, and I have clearly labeled it for him not to use it. And I will look for more contamination areas.

I really appreciate the help. I will give this another try to really make sure I am not reacting to something else in the recipe.

Thanks to all of you again.

I live in Texas City, TX and there are very few options for eating out here. Since I can't eat fish or shellfish either, I have very few options. Have to go 30 miles or more to eat at a real gluten free resteraunt here. Then it is really not worth the trouble with the horrible traffic. Even the doctors near here, have no clue about this disease. They know about it, but do not have very good advice. The best advice I received was to go online and find a good gluten free web site!

Anyway, I will keep on plodding through this disease.

Thanks again.

Get some duct tape in a fun color - WAlmart or craft stores have leopard, hot pink, etc. Stick a piece of it on the lids of your mayo, PB, butter tub, etc. Then no one worries about getting crumbs in things. I make my family take the cheese, cold cuts, lettuce first and put it on a plate. Then put the cheese back in the fridge & only then, get the bread. When they forget, and realize they screwed up, I don't get mad. We just take a sharpie and put thier name or not gluten-free on the cheese packet. My 16 year old is always making gluten little pizzas. He likes to just have a pack of Mozarella with his name on it so he doesn't worry about it.

Archived