2 replies to this topic

#1 jebby

jebby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

I have not been on this forum for a while.
I just purchased Florajen probiotics and am wondering if any of you have taken them. If so, have there been any major adverse reactions/side effects? Have they seemed to help you?

Also, have any of you began to feel cruddy again after being gluten-free for a few years? I was diagnosed in early 2010 and for my 1st two years off of gluten I felt wonderful and healthy and was able to start long distance running again. Since delivering my 4th child last spring, I have felt a lot of my old symptoms return (fatigue, joint pains, headaches, brain fog, oral ulcers, etc). I have also developed additional food intolerances since then, namely to products with soy, corn, and/or sulfites. I am essentially off of all processed foods and my diet these days consists of mainly fruits, vegetables, plain meats, and potatoes. I am dairy-light. I did remove dairy for 2-3 weeks and had no difference in my inflammatory symptoms so I resumed it. I keep a food journal. I run about 12 to 20 miles/week for fitness. I take a daily multivitamin, B complex, Vit D, and Mg supp, all of which are gluten-free and soy free. My B12 and folate levels are normal and I am only very mildly anemic (normocytic anemia). I have hypothyroidism from Hashimoto's and my thyroid levels are normal on my current dose of synthroid. I recently confirmed with the manufacturer that my generic synthroid is gluten-free. I am not on any other meds. My toothpaste, shampoo, lipsticks, etc. are gluten-free, as is the hand sanitizer which I use at work. My infant is now sleeping through the night. I do not feel depressed and actually met with a psychologist who agreed that my symptoms do not seem to be related to a psych issue.

If you've taken the time to read all of this, do you have any other ideas for why I may feel worse than I previously had on the gluten-free diet? Have any of you who are mothers had this happen after giving birth? This was my first pregnancy/delivery since diagnosis so I am wondering if there is some sort of hormonal effect. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

I know many including myself who have had big problems with generic thyroid meds... And with Hashi you could be expericing hyper/hypo symptoms....I call it roller coaster syndrome!!! My daughter is like this...
Are you a gluten-free household? If not, is there a chance of CC? double dipping in jars, wheat crumbs, pet food handling?

#3 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hi,
Just to update. All is good with the Florajen 3 probiotics. I am 5 days into taking them with no adverse effects.
Thank you for the ideas mamaw! I have had my TSH/Free T4 checked every 3-4 months and all is good there.
J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: