This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Looking For A Few gluten-free Alternatives

prairiemamma

prairiemamma Apprentice

We have officially had our son completely gluten-free for a month now, and it is going well. However there are a few things I really truly do miss and can't find a gluten-free option for...

Condensed cream of chicken and cream of mush. soup, goldfish crackers, cheese and breadsticks (for school lunches), soup (soda) crackers.

Also those of you with children, can you recommend some 'kid approved' cereals. My poor boy is getting bored of rice crispies and he doesn't like chex (its a texture thing)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

progresso has a good gltuen free mushroom soup

Goldfish? eh...

cheese is naturally gluten free in most cases, kraft is a good brand

breadsticks? don't know

There are some gluten free cereals that are in shapes and whathave you.

GottaSki Mentor

Glad to hear the first month is going well.

Pacific Naturals Cream Soups - we use the mushroom and celery - sure cream of chicken would be good too.

Chex: Regular, Cinnamon and Chocolate

EnvironKidz: Panda Puffs (peanut butter balls) and Koala Crunch (cocoa rice crispies)

Pebbles: Cocoa and Fruity

Glutino makes good crackers and pretzels - not sure about soda cracker or gold fish replacement, but do remember someone asking for gold fish replacement recently -- try using the search window in the top right of your screen.

oops...just saw he doesn't like chex...also just to be sure...he is eating gluten-free rice crispies, right? The regular have barley malt in them.

prairiemamma Apprentice

Yes, they are for sure the gluten-free rice crispies. and I forgot to mention we are in Canada. We don't have pebbles up here :( I will have to look for progresso and pacific naturals. I've never seen pacific naturals around here but maybe I can find it online. As for cheese and breadsticks....like cheese n crackers.

How about mac and cheese. What's your go to brand for mac in cheese. I've seen so many different brands online its overwhelming to know what ones are good. I'd love to make my poor guy some kd. Ivebeen making so much rice and potatoes as sides this month cause I know it's safe

Gemini Experienced

We have officially had our son completely gluten-free for a month now, and it is going well. However there are a few things I really truly do miss and can't find a gluten-free option for...

Condensed cream of chicken and cream of mush. soup, goldfish crackers, cheese and breadsticks (for school lunches), soup (soda) crackers.

Also those of you with children, can you recommend some 'kid approved' cereals. My poor boy is getting bored of rice crispies and he doesn't like chex (its a texture thing)

Have a look at these.....Open Original Shared Link

I've seen these in the stores but haven't tried them. The write up was a good one and Schar products are generally very good.

GottaSki Mentor
I've never seen pacific naturals around here but maybe I can find it online.

Try Gluten Free Cafe too. We've used their Cream of soups as well...again not sure in Canada. There are quite a few Canadian members so perhaps more will chime in tomorrow.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Don't know if you can get it in Canada but Velveeta (not sure of the spelling since I use the Wegmans form of it) makes a good cheese for mac and cheese. I just use gluten-free pasta and then cut up the cheese food into small chunks and add a little milk and stir on low heat until the chunks are melted.

If he like hot cereal Cream of Buckwheat is a good sub for Cream of Wheat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I use a recipe for white sauce instead of Cream of mushroom soup. I use substitute dairy, oil, and guar gum to thicken. I add salt and a pinch of nutmeg for flavor.

cahill Collaborator

you could use Udi's (gluten free )pizza crust and cut in to bread sticks.

crackers ,I use Hot Kid rice crackers ( the only ones I have tried I do not react to ,, I am super sensitive )

I also make a white sauce to use instead of condensed soups . I have reinterduced dairy so I use rice flour, milk,butter and a bit of onion and mushrooms in my white sauce .

Instead of cold cereals how about pancakes? I used gluten free bisquik to make pancakes ( and bicusts) and I though they were very good. They can be made in a large batch , placed in the freezer in individual plastic , pulled out and reheated at will . I no longer use the bisquick because I am now soy free .

** sorry for the spelling errors , For some reason my spell check is not working **

kareng Grand Master

We love Chebe breadsticks! I have heard that some people roll them out thin and cut into crackers (put a piece of plastic wrap on the top and bottom when rolling gluten-free dough as it is usually very sticky). We make them with Asiago cheese in them -have done Parm & heard that a dry cheddar is good, too. I cook them part way, then take them out and brush with olive oil &sprinkle garlic powder and garlic salt on them & finish cooking. I have made them without cheese as a pizza crust and they were fine.

All cheese should be fine - still read the label.

Use the google funtion, we have had many thoughts on foods for kids and kids lunches. Including one for a PB &J muffin instead of a sandwich. I think she told me she used Pamela's for the muffin mix at the time.

mamaw Community Regular

gluten-free goldfish crackers........ Qwackers, Three bakers, Nicole Hunn has a receipe if you like to bake. There even is a small mini cookie fish cutter...

Full flavored Foods makes wonderful sauces, gravies so you can make your own Mac& Cheese.. Cheese whiz is also gluten-free..I use several cheeses when making mac & cheese..

Store bought I think Amy's is good. You can buy it frozen or in a box called Creamy mac & cheese...

Tinkyada noodles seem to be an easy find.. Our favorite is Bi_Aglut, other good ones are LeVenizane, Some like Sam Mills because it is cheap in price.. Many more..

Cereals:::; Bob's red mill has a hot cereal. Cream Of Rice or cream of buckwheat,,,,Kind has several varieties of yummy granola, Udi's too & again many more....Nature Path has corn flakes & others varieties....

Gluten free Freeda has instant oatmeal in packets several flavors..

Joan's gluten free greatbakes makes english muffins that are oh so good for breakfast sandwiches...

You can also make breakfast muffins Ie: scrambled eggs, sausage,or crumbled bacon, cheese, veggies & spices -bake in oven freeze & reheat for a quick breakfast...

Pamels'a baking mix to make many things but pancakes, or waffles..

Snacks Glutino pretzels, doritos ( check label for gluten-free)

popcorn, corn chips,El's makes a party mix in 4 or5 flavors....

Health Valley, progresso, pacific all make broths & soups gluten-free (check Label)

Breadsticks are so easy to make... Carriefaith has a recipe in the recipe section, I've used it for years....

JD'"S Best sells garlic breadsticks...

Since you are in Canada you will probably need to do mailorder....Kinnickinnick is a Canadian gluten-free bakery ...

There are several big site to get good mailorder prices.....I don't think we are permitted to posts the names on here.. one is think of a Big River, begins with "A"....com

Hth

mamaw

prairiemamma Apprentice

Since you are in Canada you will probably need to do mailorder....Kinnickinnick is a Canadian gluten-free bakery ...

There are several big site to get good mailorder prices.....I don't think we are permitted to posts the names on here.. one is think of a Big River, begins with "A"....com

Hth

mamaw

From what I understand, 'big river' dot com doesn't ship to Canada. And 'big river' dot ca doesn't sell food items. I did find 'well' dot ca which is a canadian based online health and wellness site. I did find a few things there (a little pricey) and am going to Google pacific and see what pops up for availability in Canada.

Thank you everyone for all your help. This has been quite the experience. To be honest, this has been tougher to get a good grip on than my son's Autism.

AandGsmomma Apprentice

I dont know if they have it in Canada, but Amy's mac&cheese is pretty good. Its pricey though. Im nee to a lot of this so I dont have many other suggestions.

beachbirdie Contributor

I don't know if it is available in Canada, but as other said, Amy's gluten free mac and cheese is REALLY good. Make sure you don't get the one with soy cheese though...gross!

If you are looking for boxed mac and cheese, Annie's makes a good gluten free one.

Are you looking for cream soups for cooking, or eating? I don't use canned soups any more, I just make a white sauce with either mushrooms or chicken broth. Before I went grain free I used rice flour for thickener, and it worked just like wheat flour.

Snyder's makes a great gluten-free pretzel, and Glutino pretzels are good too.

Wellaby makes a decent cheese cracker, so does Schar.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Hi -

We do Amy's frozen mac and cheese a lot - I probably give my son that way more than I should! For crackers, I sometimes make my own using the recipes from Elana's Pantry. They aren't like soda crackers, but my son really likes the nut thins crackers from Blue Diamond. Makes a good "base" for dips and such. I second the Envirokids recommendation, especially the Gorilla Munch and frosted flakes kinds. My 4 year old adores them.

mamaw Community Regular

Big River-"A.com" does have tons of gluten-free food items. I didn't know for sure if they ship to Canada... sometimes going directly to the supplier/baker they send & ship... What part of Canada do you live?Maybe we can help find a store close to you .....can you cross the border into US anywhere? I travel at least 1 1/2 hours to find the gluten-free goodies I want. I stock up about three times a year........

prairiemamma Apprentice

My hubby and I were actually just talking about taking a little trip across the border soon. We can be in Minot ND in about 3.5hrs. (We are from Saskatchewan) I can get some bare essentials about 45min away. I googled pacific naturals. Yes they will ship up here right from their warehouse but shipping charges would be insane! I'm sure there has to be another option.

My oldest son wanted me to make hashbrown bake for supper tonight. Poor dude was so bummed.

kareng Grand Master

My hubby and I were actually just talking about taking a little trip across the border soon. We can be in Minot ND in about 3.5hrs. (We are from Saskatchewan) I can get some bare essentials about 45min away. I googled pacific naturals. Yes they will ship up here right from their warehouse but shipping charges would be insane! I'm sure there has to be another option.

My oldest son wanted me to make hashbrown bake for supper tonight. Poor dude was so bummed.

Why can't you make the hashbrown bake? Most meals can be made gluten-free without a big deal. Put your recipe up and maybe we can help you.

prairiemamma Apprentice

The sauce is made with sour cream (gluten-free yes), cheese. (yes) spices(all gluten-free) but 1 can cream of chicken and 1 can cream of mushroom soup. Without gluten-free condensed soups....

GottaSki Mentor

The sauce is made with sour cream (gluten-free yes), cheese. (yes) spices(all gluten-free) but 1 can cream of chicken and 1 can cream of mushroom soup. Without gluten-free condensed soups....

Great...you'll be able to replicate it...has anyone from Canada given you a cream of soup suggestion? If not, maybe try starting another thread. "Need Cream of Soups Available in Canada"

Karen's idea is a good one...when you can't replicate a favorite recipe - post it here - we can help :)

kareng Grand Master

I make that recipe, too. I make it with cream of chicken & celery. There have been some recipes for cream of soups. You could maybe make a big batch and freeze it in the size you need for a recipe. I bet you could just use cream of chicken if you didn't want to make both. Use the google function in the top right corner

Here's the link I was hoping you would be able to find:.

Open Original Shared Link

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I recommend a product called "Cheese Ups" By Wellaby's!!! I can find them in a store near me, however, they also sale online. It has a wonderful cheese cracker taste just like Goldfish. It is a lighter cracker and not as dense as a goldfish, but I love them. They are a triangle shape and puffed.

GFinDC Veteran

Before going gluten-free I used to make egg puffs with eggs and regular Bisquick. You mix 4 eggs and some milk with some Bisquick. Not much, it should still be thin and yellowy, not thick and doughy. Then add various stuff like meats, veggies, shrooms, cheese etc. Fry with a lid on the pan on low heat until it puffs up good and thick. The lid acts like an oven door so no frequent peeking. Another reason for the low heat too. Anyway these things can puff up to an inch and a half easy. You can try flipping them but it is tricky. Makes a nice breakfast item. I haven't tried this with gluten-free flours tho.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I don't buy boxed mac and cheese i make my own.

8-10 slices of american (kraft) cheese

2 cups of milk

a small tab of butter (original recipie called for waaaay to much imo)

a little olive oil to coat the pan

some cornstarch and water (1.5 tablespoons if i remember right, can be adjusted if needed)

salt and pepper to taste.

Melt butter in pan and add milk, reduce. Add the cornstarch and then the cheese, stir till thickened. Serve over pasta (i use ancient harvest quinoa).

Easy peasy.

• 3 weeks later...
M-Rods Newbie

For snacks I really enjoy Glutino pretzels and pretzel sticks, Most Zehr's/Metro/Canadian superstores carry them.

Archived