25 replies to this topic

#16 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Big River-"A.com" does have tons of gluten-free food items. I didn't know for sure if they ship to Canada... sometimes going directly to the supplier/baker they send & ship... What part of Canada do you live?Maybe we can help find a store close to you .....can you cross the border into US anywhere? I travel at least 1 1/2 hours to find the gluten-free goodies I want. I stock up about three times a year........

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 prairiemamma

prairiemamma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

My hubby and I were actually just talking about taking a little trip across the border soon. We can be in Minot ND in about 3.5hrs. (We are from Saskatchewan) I can get some bare essentials about 45min away. I googled pacific naturals. Yes they will ship up here right from their warehouse but shipping charges would be insane! I'm sure there has to be another option.

My oldest son wanted me to make hashbrown bake for supper tonight. Poor dude was so bummed.

#18 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

My hubby and I were actually just talking about taking a little trip across the border soon. We can be in Minot ND in about 3.5hrs. (We are from Saskatchewan) I can get some bare essentials about 45min away. I googled pacific naturals. Yes they will ship up here right from their warehouse but shipping charges would be insane! I'm sure there has to be another option.

My oldest son wanted me to make hashbrown bake for supper tonight. Poor dude was so bummed.

Why can't you make the hashbrown bake? Most meals can be made gluten-free without a big deal. Put your recipe up and maybe we can help you.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#19 prairiemamma

prairiemamma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

The sauce is made with sour cream (gluten-free yes), cheese. (yes) spices(all gluten-free) but 1 can cream of chicken and 1 can cream of mushroom soup. Without gluten-free condensed soups....

#20 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

The sauce is made with sour cream (gluten-free yes), cheese. (yes) spices(all gluten-free) but 1 can cream of chicken and 1 can cream of mushroom soup. Without gluten-free condensed soups....

Great...you'll be able to replicate it...has anyone from Canada given you a cream of soup suggestion? If not, maybe try starting another thread. "Need Cream of Soups Available in Canada"

Karen's idea is a good one...when you can't replicate a favorite recipe - post it here - we can help :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#21 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

I make that recipe, too. I make it with cream of chicken & celery. There have been some recipes for cream of soups. You could maybe make a big batch and freeze it in the size you need for a recipe. I bet you could just use cream of chicken if you didn't want to make both. Use the google function in the top right corner

Here's the link I was hoping you would be able to find:.

http://www.gfutah.or...Cream Soup.html

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#22 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

I recommend a product called "Cheese Ups" By Wellaby's!!! I can find them in a store near me, however, they also sale online. It has a wonderful cheese cracker taste just like Goldfish. It is a lighter cracker and not as dense as a goldfish, but I love them. They are a triangle shape and puffed.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#23 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Before going gluten-free I used to make egg puffs with eggs and regular Bisquick. You mix 4 eggs and some milk with some Bisquick. Not much, it should still be thin and yellowy, not thick and doughy. Then add various stuff like meats, veggies, shrooms, cheese etc. Fry with a lid on the pan on low heat until it puffs up good and thick. The lid acts like an oven door so no frequent peeking. Another reason for the low heat too. Anyway these things can puff up to an inch and a half easy. You can try flipping them but it is tricky. Makes a nice breakfast item. I haven't tried this with gluten-free flours tho.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#24 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

I don't buy boxed mac and cheese i make my own.

8-10 slices of american (kraft) cheese
2 cups of milk
a small tab of butter (original recipie called for waaaay to much imo)
a little olive oil to coat the pan
some cornstarch and water (1.5 tablespoons if i remember right, can be adjusted if needed)
salt and pepper to taste.

Melt butter in pan and add milk, reduce. Add the cornstarch and then the cheese, stir till thickened. Serve over pasta (i use ancient harvest quinoa).

Easy peasy.

#25 M-Rods

M-Rods

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

For snacks I really enjoy Glutino pretzels and pretzel sticks, Most Zehr's/Metro/Canadian superstores carry them.
Diagnosed Celiac Oct 26, 2012
Gluten free since Oct 29, 2012

#26 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

• Julia Child's "The Way to Cook" gives a bang up gluten-free recipe for making a creamed vegetable soup. I'll post it if you're interested, it just uses rice, water or stock, onions and a steamed or braised vegetable that you want to make creamed soup of. You have to have a blender of stick blender, dirty 2 pans and devote about an hour. but only intermittently.
  • I love Chebe's bread or pizza crust mix for breadsticks, as recommended above. Usually they're only palatable when served hout. I've never tried them in a good thermos, but that might work. They're great for breakfast sandwiches, rolls for BLT's, or sliders, bread sticks. If you try Chebe's, don't add extra liquid until after you've kneaded the dough thoroughly. (You won't have to add extra liquid.)
  • Have you checked out some of the gluten-free bloggers?

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: